The Student Room Group

Income Support for a 6 hour a week postgrad course?

Hello,

I am currently studying a Postgrad course at the university of Lincoln, but I am only being taught on Wednesdays for 6 hours. It says it is a full time course, so I can not claim Job seekers allowance, but I can not work because so many companies don't allow you to take the middle of the week off and I have been turned down by so many jobs because of this.

Does anyone know what I can do please? I am literally down to my last £40 because I can't get a job. Please Help.
Original post by MagPai92
Hello,

I am currently studying a Postgrad course at the university of Lincoln, but I am only being taught on Wednesdays for 6 hours. It says it is a full time course, so I can not claim Job seekers allowance, but I can not work because so many companies don't allow you to take the middle of the week off and I have been turned down by so many jobs because of this.

Does anyone know what I can do please? I am literally down to my last £40 because I can't get a job. Please Help.

That seems like a part-time course to me. Full time should be around 12 hours per week, 4 modules at 3 hours each?

Are you applying for full time jobs or part time?
Reply 2
Original post by ThePricklyOne
That seems like a part-time course to me. Full time should be around 12 hours per week, 4 modules at 3 hours each?

Are you applying for full time jobs or part time?

I am applying for part time because full time covers wednesdays and I can't do them.

I know, that's what I mean, the part time course is only 3 hours a week. So I don't know what to do because surely only 6 hours a week isn't a full time course, but it is marketed as a full time course.
It's awful that many courses do this. They call themselves full time because they factor in the study that you will be doing at home. Whether or not that is in practice full time is debateable but the fact is that because your course is officially full time, it excludes you from being able to access a range of support from the state such as JSA and other stuff that may come with that. It may be different for learners with kids or disabilities. It's worth researching but the scope to get state support is thin on the ground sadly.

Obviously this will depend on your own scope and limitations but the best jobs to apply for when studying are in industries where student employment is common. For example, retail and service industry jobs are very often looking for weekend staff. Have you got any hotels near you for instance.

Wishing you well. It's a really harsh system to be fair.
Reply 4
Three taught modules per term, two hours of teaching a week per module. That's pretty standard for a full-time taught Masters in my field. The rest of my time was taken up with reading and coursework - I found it to be a 7 day a week occupation.

Look for work in places with different shift patterns like supermarkets. I've finished my Masters, but currently boost my income with supermarket work. I do an early morning (5am-10am) on one weekday, then a 9am-5pm shift on a Sunday (one hour before and after closing hours for shelf stocking). That wouldn't impinge on your study if you're already not finding the course onerous.
Original post by MagPai92
Hello,

Hi,

Please contact our Student Support Team and they may be able to help you.

You can do so via the link below:
https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/campuslife/studentsupport/studentservices/studentsupportcentre/studentfunding/

Darren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending