The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Chances of being admitted at Oxbridge/LSE for a MSc (Italian student)

Hi, I'm currently a first-year undergrad studying politics. I know I'm thinking ahead but I've been browsing the websites of some good unis in the UK for my masters degree.

Hopefully in two years I'll have a 3.8 GPA with a semester spent as an exchange student in a good university (e.g. Sciences Po, NUS) and maybe an internship in some NGO. What do you think that my chances to get admitted to Oxbridge or LSE would be?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by off-hugh-oh
Hi, I'm currently a first-year undergrad studying International Politics at Bocconi, in Milan. I know I'm thinking ahead but I've been browsing the websites of some good unis in the UK for my MSc (Italian BSc only last three years, so I'd have to apply in two years).

Most courses want either a first or an upper 2:1. The Italian grading system is different: grades are out of 30; when you graduate, your final average is then converted to a 110-point scale and then you sum the points you get from a final paper (in Bocconi, up to 5). So, if my average is 29/30, I can end up with 110 *** with laude (the maximum grade you can get) with a good paper.

Now, my questions are:

1) Most top UK unis, in their Italian requirements page, show 108/110 as a minimum requirement; however, that is the degree grade: it corresponds to a GPA that can go from 28.5 to 29 (depending on how good your paper is). When applying, will they ask me my average and then give me a conditional or ask for a projected grade?

2) My best-case scenario in two years would be the following profile: a 29/30 average, a semester spent as an exchange student in a good university (e.g. Sciences Po, NUS, UPenn) and maybe (as in, highly unlikely by the time I apply) an internship in some Italian embassy (together with some MUN experience, but idk if I should include it in my cv). What do you think that my chances to get admitted to Oxbridge or LSE would be?

Hey, I'm also Italian. I can help with the grade stuff, but not with the profile evaluation as I am in a totally different field.

During the application process you will have to send your transcripts with all your grades so far and then you can self-declare what you expect to graduate with (e.g. 110) . If you will be made an offer, they will put a condition that is in most of the cases written in the course requirements. At least, it was for my course at Cambridge. The requirement will be on the final degree grade, not on the GPA.

Be aware that each university has its own system to convert grades from the Italian scheme to theirs. Cambridge has such conversion table available online ( http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-qualifications ), Oxford doesn't.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by capplicant
Hey, I'm also Italian. I can help with the grade stuff, but not with the profile evaluation as I am in a totally different field.

During the application process you will have to send your transcripts with all your grades so far and then you can self-declare what you expect to graduate with (e.g. 110) . If you will be made an offer, they will put a condition that is in most of the cases written in the course requirements. At least, it was for my course at Cambridge. The requirement will be on the final degree grade, not on the GPA.

Be aware that each university has its own system to convert grades from the Italian scheme to theirs. Cambridge has such conversion table available online ( http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-qualifications ), Oxford doesn't.

Thank you for replying. Do you think that with a predicted 110L I would stand a good chance at being admitted?
Thank you for replying. Do you think that with a predicted 110L I would stand a good chance at being admitted?

You have to take into consideration that most people have a very outstanding academic background when applying for Oxbridge, therefore grades weigh relatively little for the application process. They are mostly to demonstrate you are worthy of further consideration. In any case, getting a First (110 or 110 c.l.) is an important step.

Since you're still in your first year, focus on getting relevant work experience and good references (try to spread your refeerees between your current professors at Bocconi and your professors at your future exchange university if you decide to go).

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by capplicant

(try to spread your refeerees between your current professors at Bocconi and your professors at your future exchange university if you decide to go).

!

Could you expand on that? Are you suggesting that I try to stand out as much as possible so that, if need be, my professors will know me and write compelling recommendation letters?
Could you expand on that? Are you suggesting that I try to stand out as much as possible so that, if need be, my professors will know me and write compelling recommendation letters?

Definitely give them reasons to write good letters. As I said, I'm not sure about your field so I cannot really give examples. I have spoken to a lot of professors after the lectures or during office hours about research topics / projects I've been doing at home, but as I said this is really field-dependent (I'm in Computer Science).

I don't know how many people attend at Bocconi, but try to be active during lectures (ask questions, answers questions they make), go to office hours if you have doubts... anything that will help them get to know you better (as a student and as a person).

Try to be in a position in your third year in which you don't have to think about who you will have to ask for your letters, because for me that has been the biggest problem in the application process - having to ask them, waiting for them to write them, waiting for them to send, etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending