The Student Room Group

Who am I supposed to vote for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retropattern
In reference to the NHS, most young people are young people! I'm not going to have to worry about arthritis or any other health problem (hopefully) for a good 50 years! Plus, as much as I want the NHS to remain free, the probably future reality is that whatever party we end up voting for, in 50 years the NHS would be privatised! So why on that basis vote for a party that is in pieces and still on the fence about Brexit making the UK look like a laughing stock?

Young people do have to worry about health problems. We have many societies on this website, for chronic illnesses so don't be so naive. And even if the young people most young people don't, their family members may have illnesses so why would they want to see and NHS thats deteriorated so much. And at any age you can be hit with with a life threatening illness like cancer. The conservatives have ruined the NHS in the last 7 years, it is in an awful state, if they properly funded and properly staffed it, it would not be anywhere near this bad.

Labour are releasing their policy about Brexit. If you're anti labour because they're sitting on the fence or they're basically choosing a hard brexit and you don't want that, why would you vote Conservative, who have fully confirmed they want a hard brexit?
Original post by lily237
The Conservatives want this election to be fought on the basis on Brexit, but this should not be and is not the most important thing at stake. The Conservatives have called this general election to avoid losing MP's due to election fraud in the 2015 election. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/alexandra-runswick/election-expenses_b_16146174.html

This is also a very interesting read re. the Conservatives' plans for the NHS. https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/04/23/theresa-mays-secret-plans-to-replace-nhs-england-with-private-us-healthcare-system-kaiser-permanente/

If you value an NHS, if you don't believe in massive cuts to education and you believe that the most needy in our society deserve support (DLA cuts) then the Conservatives are not for you.

Yougov polling (which I cannot get my phone to link to) found that 29% trusted May the most with the NHs compared with 26% for Corbyn (37% dk).

Labour can't even win that one hahaha.

Tory landslide incoming
Do what I do. I've not voted yet, but I sure as heck hold some political opinion.

- Read through all the news you can. I do a good 1-2 hours every night in bed. Make sure to read through where they source their information. If no source is attached, then don't bother.
- Read through official websites with statistics, for example the governing bodies websites of the EU, the UK, the US, etc. Any statistics on those websites will most likely be true, after all the media today consists of voracious monsters that prey on these websites.
- Look up your history and facts.

If you do that, you should notice some trends.

- 'Common Sense' as most term it will lead to realise what news outlets are biased toward either agenda. I wont name any, however a good majority of groups were showing bias toward staying or leaving the EU. Likewise, there is bias with regard to political parties. You'll also notice different events being drawn out of proportion: it's all about selling news these days, and few groups make providing impartial news their biggest goal.
- You should notice disparities between the official statistics and the statistics provided by news outlets. That's natural. Just try to correlate that with the above point and the prevalence of the disparities.

Above all, just do what you think is best, after educating yourself on everything else. Story time here as to why I may have shown some bias in the above statements...

The reason my views are strong on this whole democracy ordeal and all the news is that I come from a family with a difficult background. My father was disabled in the NHS many years ago, and in the process gained a plethora of mental and physical debilitation factors. He's now cared for by his wife, my mother, who came from Poland as an immigrant, and he married. Things aren't great, the Government (present and past) instigated all these new rules for PIP, removing the old disability living system, in turn causing his mental capacity to fall fast with all the extra stress. I wont dwell on that. The shocking part comes in next: even though, in our personal lives, labour from the EU in our local practice and hospital has saved his life many times (you don't wanna' know the kind of things I've seen from a young age) he consistently blames folks from the EU for being detrimental to our society. It sickened me to think that he believed everything he read on the news, and my brother, who is also a polish immigrant with his polish wife and polish kids who chose to live here too are doing the same thing, as they didn't have education on the subject.

I'm sincerely glad that you made a post like this. Too few spend enough time educating themselves about voting and the kind of things we sign up for when we vote in or out a proposal, or in this case a new PM. Democracy itself is flawed in a sense that everyone can vote, and it isn't limited to those who are educated on the matter; sadly enough that's quite a large issue in itself, because if it were limited to those who supposedly 'knew everything', then more bias would exist, etc. I loathe humanity.
Before I opened this thread I hoped that it would address this same question that bothers me, however I was wrong.

My view is also "Who am I supposed to vote for?" but not because of lack of knowledge. It is a repeat of American presidential election. We have many inspirational, intelligent Bernie Sanders and Joe Bidens in the UK, however they either don't have a major party backing or decided not to run.

So, who am I supposed to vote for?

Tories? They already have a majority and even with reasonable voices within the party like Anna Soubry or Ken Clarke the eurosceptic caucus has taken over the party strategy and views. Giving them even greater majority may result in a complete disaster. One party countries have not been among the most successful ones.

Labour? They come out with great policies and I would consider them because they are the major opposition force. The only aspect that I dislike of Labour right now is the lack of a strong hand to control and/or deselect incompetent and unprofessional MPs.

Lib Dems? They are very close to my heart, but some of their approaches are risky. I see that they want to gain seats on the back of the anti-Brexit movement and use this GE as a preparation for the following elections. I hope that people focus on their good ideas.

UKIP? I share the view of many politicians that left the party. They've done their job, technically. Brexit is almost inevitable, they should stop attacking minorities with some, I must admit, odd policies.

Greens? I love their passion for the environment but unfortunately they don't share that same enthusiasm towards other critical issues that the UK faces. One issue party.

So, all in all, I think that by writing this post I came to a decision. I will opt out for voting tactically and vote for a balance in the UK politics.
In the same position, took the test and got 50-60% across the board.. my biggest concern is the NHS being privatized but without more funding what option is there.I also feel the middle class get taxed the worst and even though I don't like my tuition fees, someone has to pay them, all the education before university was free I view it as my contribution to all the education I received in life. I gravitate towards Labour but I don't believe nuclear disarmament is viable. I feel like voting is the choice of who I don't want in power more than who I do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending