The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary English Bursary

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the PGCE government bursaries.

I achieved a 1st in my degree and also have an MA in English, which I understand qualifies me for a £9000 tax free bursary to study my PGCE. I understand that, should I be accepted onto a course, payment of this bursary would be organised through the university.

My issue is that I would be coming over to England from Belfast and literally cannot afford to fund myself without this bursary (even the student loan I am eligible for would not be sufficient to cover even my accommodation). Is the bursary guaranteed? Could I make it over to the university and then be told I'm not receiving it? Has anyone heard of anyone not receiving the bursary despite being eligible? This is majorly stressing me out so any help would be so appreciated!
Reply 1
As far as I know, as long as you are on the course and have the grades, the bursary is guaranteed. When you apply for you Student Loan you will also essentially apply for the bursary, so you should get notification of the bursary when you get the notification of you loan etc. I have a place to do a Geography PGCE starting in September, so am sorting all that out at the moment. One thing to be aware of is that the Bursary is paid in 10 payments through your corse provider. It is done 1 month in arrears, so if you start your course 1st September, you wont get your first payment till the start of October. If you get a larger Bursary (Geography is £25k) you dont get 10 even payments, but you get 8×£2k and then inFeb and July you get £4.5k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by bob0079
As far as I know, as long as you are on the course and have the grades, the bursary is guaranteed. When you apply for you Student Loan you will also essentially apply for the bursary, so you should get notification of the bursary when you get the notification of you loan etc. I have a place to do a Geography PGCE starting in September, so am sorting all that out at the moment. One thing to be aware of is that the Bursary is paid in 10 payments through your corse provider. It is done 1 month in arrears, so if you start your course 1st September, you wont get your first payment till the start of October. If you get a larger Bursary (Geography is £25k) you dont get 10 even payments, but you get 8×£2k and then inFeb and July you get £4.5k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fab thanks so much! And good luck with the PGCE :smile:
Reply 3
I was just wondering if you're eligible for a bursary (£9,000 for English), are you still able to get a maintenance loan alongside that or is it just one or the other?
Reply 4
You qualify for all other student finance, so yes you can still get a tuition loan and a maintenance loan. The bursary also does not affect childrens tax credits etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending