The Student Room Group

Taking a chemistry module in my 2nd year of law, great idea? or just really random?

So basically my university offers a "Essentials of forensic investigations" for 2nd year Law (QLD) and I would like to become a criminal law solicitor.

So i'm thinking ahead in terms of trying to show that my interest in criminal law peaked from the start of university, I feel that taking this "chemistry module" which is very "crime" based would show this and would be great to talk about to future employers.
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here, and shall I stick to traditional modules?

TLDR; Shall i stick to traditional academic modules or should I branch out and add something cool to my CV whilst still getting the QLD modules?
Original post by leithiandis
So basically my university offers a "Essentials of forensic investigations" for 2nd year Law (QLD) and I would like to become a criminal law solicitor.

So i'm thinking ahead in terms of trying to show that my interest in criminal law peaked from the start of university, I feel that taking this "chemistry module" which is very "crime" based would show this and would be great to talk about to future employers.
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here, and shall I stick to traditional modules?

TLDR; Shall i stick to traditional academic modules or should I branch out and add something cool to my CV whilst still getting the QLD modules?

When choosing modules, it's good to think ahead, so have a look and see what the implications of taking that module might be. It may be that one module you want to do in 3rd year gets blocked out because of that choice...

Your units will be listed on your transcript so it won't be on your CV (shouldn't be at least, could possibly feature on a cover letter) but if it was of particular interest to you and it has relevance then you can talk about it in interviews.

I think if you're interested in it and everything else is fine then then go for it. Variety is the spice of life.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
When choosing modules, it's good to think ahead, so have a look and see what the implications of taking that module might be. It may be that one module you want to do in 3rd year gets blocked out because of that choice...

Your units will be listed on your transcript so it won't be on your CV (shouldn't be at least, could possibly feature on a cover letter) but if it was of particular interest to you and it has relevance then you can talk about it in interviews.

I think if you're interested in it and everything else is fine then then go for it. Variety is the spice of life.

I looked at third year modules and luckily none of the modules that i'd want to take for third year have a pre-requisite!

Ah yeah, that's what I meant instead of CV!

I think I'd going to go for it, it'll be a change to the regular book reading an essay subjects!
Thank you :smile:
Original post by leithiandis
I looked at third year modules and luckily none of the modules that i'd want to take for third year have a pre-requisite!

Ah yeah, that's what I meant instead of CV!

I think I'd going to go for it, it'll be a change to the regular book reading an essay subjects!
Thank you :smile:

I hope it will be a change for you :smile: sometimes expectations can be a bit weird in life :tongue:

I took 1 accounting and 1 finance module in my second year as part of a maths degree and going into it I had so much enthusiasm and it was like 'this is going to be so refreshing and interesting' and turned out it wasn't, but I think that was because it was finance.. and accounting... but I think definitely, a bit of forensics as part of a law degree.. awesome. It might be a contrived module or something that'll help you get a starring role in NCIS...
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
I hope it will be a change for you :smile: sometimes expectations can be a bit weird in life :tongue:

I took 1 accounting and 1 finance module in my second year as part of a maths degree and going into it I had so much enthusiasm and it was like 'this is going to be so refreshing and interesting' and turned out it wasn't, but I think that was because it was finance.. and accounting... but I think definitely, a bit of forensics as part of a law degree.. awesome. It might be a contrived module or something that'll help you get a starring role in NCIS...

Ah I see! Well I mean at least taking those modules gave you some sort of insight into those two fields and what not to go into :wink:!

The chemistry module I must say looks really interesting, this is the list of topics in the year: -
Introduction to Forensic Science - The Crime scene , scientific support, SOCO, the Forensic Scientist. - Evidence collection, recording, preservation and contamination avoidance. - Trace and contact evidence , recovery, comparison, significance. - Marks and impressions, damage based, fingerprints. - Forensic examination of documents - Fire investigations - Explosions - Forensic examination of evidence , procedures, protocols. - Drugs of abuse , legislation, identification, quantification. - Forensic toxiology, techniques, interpretation. - Alcohol analysis - Analysis of body fluids, blood, semen, saliva, DNA. - Expert witness, legal systems, report writing, evidence

Speaking of NCIS, that's probably a small factor of why I'd want to take it & also in year 8 or 9 I believe we had a "Crime Day" where we learnt all about crimes and evidence collection, we got to look at blood splatters, hair samples, finger prints: it was all very cool!
Also this particular module doesn't have an exam! 30 credits graded with 10% presentation, 2 10% MCQs and a 50% case study!

In the end I guess it is about the final degree qualification, if this module allows me to get away with doing only 3 end of year exams next year as opposed to 4 then cheers to that!

My end of year exams next year would be the compulsory Tort & Land as well as the option module I've taken (criminology) which I feel would go very nicely with the forensic science module!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending