The Student Room Group

Cambridge possibility?

4As 1A* 6Bs at GCSE
UUEB in politics,maths,economics and history for AS
second time doing AS - AAAA in politics history classics and economics (EPQ on history = 47/50)
predictions for A2 - A* A* A* ( politics, economics and history)

Wish to study history and politics at cambridge however, with these grades does anyone know the chances? Ultimately, how much do they rely upon the entrance essays and interview and how much upon the physical grades achieved. Is there anything more I can do to improve my situation?

General negative attitude to retakes is unsurprising however do they entirely rule it out?

Did you have extenuating circumstances for retaking AS?

Worth asking on this thread though: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4662588&page=7
Reply 2
Original post by Paralove
Did you have extenuating circumstances for retaking AS?

Worth asking on this thread though: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4662588&page=7

afraid not, does it make a large difference? thanks I've posted it there:smile:
They tend to make a large difference as there's no reason you got the original results unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well your AS results prove how capable you are and your GCSEs are decent. That coupled with a good interview and entrance exam results could be anything. You won't know unless you try.
Original post by joshrugoti

This is the university's position on exam resits, from their website:

"While it’s becoming less common to be able to resit exams, should the opportunity be available your application is unlikely to be adversely affected by your resitting one or two modules we appreciate that even very capable students may have a ‘bad day’ when an exam doesn’t go quite to plan.
However, there would be concern about your potential to be successful at Cambridge if you needed to resit numerous exams, particularly if only a marginal improvement could be achieved. This is because once at the University, students are regularly assessed by exam and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine).
You should state your intention to resit any exams in your SAQ. Where there are particular reasons for underperformance in qualifications it’s useful if these can be outlined in the school/college reference. In some cases, it may be appropriate for your school/college referee to complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form."
Reply 6
Original post by joshrugoti

There must have been a reason for you going from good GCSEs to poor AS-levels? You don't need to discuss it on TSR but it would certainly be important to understand the circumstances if/when you apply to Cambridge.

Cambridge even provides a form (ECF) for it: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

Without an ECF I fear they will not view your application favourably...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending