The Student Room Group

Skipping School (Sixth Form)

I'm 17 male and im currently in sixth form, ive been skipping school for the past month now (it was only meant for a few days but i just kept doing it) because ive no interest in school or the things im doing in school.

Im only doing two AS levels (travel and tourism, which i know ive got a merit in) and Applied ICT and a GCSE repeat (maths)

Honestly sixth form has bored the skull out of me because all ive been doing is stairing at a computer screen looking at the news, in maths im doing past papers, im sticking with a merit in travel and tourism and im only doing past papers in IT (my exam is on Monday) but im pretty confident about it - then again i couldnt care less..

Should i go back? Ive only got two exams this month and i should get study leave soon..id just feel awkward going back into maths tomorrow as i havent been in maths since the start of April.

All ive been doing is walking the town as im sick to death of school. Honestly i cant wait to start an apprenticeship next year

Another reason why im put off going back to school is my 'classroom assistant' she literally underminds me and thinks that im stupid - i was in the study hall once doing travel and tourism coursework and she came in and 'proof read my work' and started to tell me what to type out loud, she gets on like shes my mum and its so embarassing! Id even be in a class talking to someone and she'd barge right in the middle and literally spoonfeed me, she even tells me out loud to ask the teacher for help even though the teacher can clearly hear her telling me to - i just cant go back, sixth form was definitely not for me😂

I dont want to sound like a complete d*ckhead but is anyone else in the same situation as me?
I feel this way too. Despite having 6 maths exams starting in 15 days, I feel much better revising at home. Going into school feels really unneccessary right now as all I do is past papers and ask the assistant for the mark scheme now and then...

When I am learning a module I feel obligated to attend lessons as missing the learning part can have a really bad affect, but going into school just to do revision that I can do at home I feel is a complete waste of my energy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IrishHibee
I'm 17 male and im currently in sixth form, ive been skipping school for the past month now (it was only meant for a few days but i just kept doing it) because ive no interest in school or the things im doing in school.

Im only doing two AS levels (travel and tourism, which i know ive got a merit in) and Applied ICT and a GCSE repeat (maths)

Honestly sixth form has bored the skull out of me because all ive been doing is stairing at a computer screen looking at the news, in maths im doing past papers, im sticking with a merit in travel and tourism and im only doing past papers in IT (my exam is on Monday) but im pretty confident about it - then again i couldnt care less..

Should i go back? Ive only got two exams this month and i should get study leave soon..id just feel awkward going back into maths tomorrow as i havent been in maths since the start of April.

All ive been doing is walking the town as im sick to death of school. Honestly i cant wait to start an apprenticeship next year

Another reason why im put off going back to school is my 'classroom assistant' she literally underminds me and thinks that im stupid - i was in the study hall once doing travel and tourism coursework and she came in and 'proof read my work' and started to tell me what to type out loud, she gets on like shes my mum and its so embarassing! Id even be in a class talking to someone and she'd barge right in the middle and literally spoonfeed me, she even tells me out loud to ask the teacher for help even though the teacher can clearly hear her telling me to - i just cant go back, sixth form was definitely not for me😂

I dont want to sound like a complete d*ckhead but is anyone else in the same situation as me?

Perhaps you could try talking to your classroom assistant about your concerns, and how her enthusiasm for helping you is actually just making you feel embarrassed in class? Having a sensible discussion about the issues and talking about where exactly she could actually help you could make a huge difference :smile:

It's now the last push to get through these exams - I'm sure everyone's saying it, but really these grades will be on your CV for at least your first few jobs applications, so are super important. Even if you really aren't enjoying them, getting your head down for a couple of weeks and just learning how to pass the exam (past papers and mark schemes are your best friend here...) will really pay off :smile: You may find that taking more responsibility for your own learning rather than just being lectured at in class suits you much better anyway, so don't give up yet...

Quick Reply

Latest