The Student Room Group

Reaaally need help :(

Hello everyoneee

I'm currently doing my A2 levels, and studying Geography Business and Sociology.
My aspirational career is to become a pilot - but being bad at maths and physics, I know this may put me behind. I'm basically wanting to enter any form of career aviation wise.
Because I do want to become a pilot i've researched degrees such as 'Aviation Technology' at Leeds etc. These all require A level maths and physics which I haven't done, and also can't do. So I researched other degree's such as Coventrys 'Aviation Management' and Loughborough's 'Air Transport Management'.
I've applied to 5 uni's, and have firmed Loughborough, and insured coventry. Having had some thinking time, i've been researching the Loughborough course and i've realised i'm just not that engaged with it. Although I have a passion for aviation, and want to become a pilot, the course just doesn't attract me. It seems to be quite economic and business based, where as my ideal degree would be purely aviation. So the general idea of doing ATM for 3 years really just doesn't attract me anymore, it's very off putting. Although i'm not extremelyyyyyy passionate about geography compared to Aviation, I do have a big soft spot for Geography, and the subject in degree terms wows me much more than ATM.
I've been researching Geography degrees, as I have enjoyed Geography at GCSE level and also A levels. I'm not a massive fan of Business.. Geography is the subject i want to achieve the highest in.
I'm just wondering what to do. I don't want to do ATM at Loughborough for 3 years, when the idea just doesn't seem interesting. I feel i would much rather enjoy Geography. I would be interested and engaged, and will have a good time. But I'm also aware that uni isn't all about having fun. I do wonder if maybe Air Transport would be better, seeing as that's the field i want to go in. But then at the end of the day, becoming a pilot doesn't require a specific degree at all. From what i've researched, A levels and any form of degree is beneficial as it's a competitive field. So maybe I wouldn't be at a disadvantage if i do well in a geography degree. This way i will be enjoying the degree at the same time.. It's really stressing me out, because deep down I do want to do geography. But then i ask myself 'Why did you initially apply for Air transport then?'. But then also. If i'm so satisfied with doing Air transport, why am i now just wanting to do Geography..

I hope someone can help me out and give me some guidance as i'm really unsure! I do basically find Geography much more interesting, and a subject i would very much like to do at Degree level, i just don't want to do the wrong thing...

THANK YOU:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geography is probably more of a mixed bag- and if at the end of the day becoming a pilot is unfeasible or unlikely it means that you aren't tied into one type of career.

I'd have a look at the Geography courses that you're interested in. Physical geography can be quite heavy on maths, biochemistry, biology etc... so if you struggle with sciences or maths then this might be an issue for you.

1st year is quite general and accessible- but look at the coursework for Year 2,3 and 4. Consider whether this is realistic for you.

I despise maths and never picked up a science, I found physical geography interesting in 1st year but tossed it in 2nd year as I am just not as interested in the nitty gritty of soil sampling, rock composition etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Friffinghell
Geography is probably more of a mixed bag- and if at the end of the day becoming a pilot is unfeasible or unlikely it means that you aren't tied into one type of career.

I'd have a look at the Geography courses that you're interested in. Physical geography can be quite heavy on maths, biochemistry, biology etc... so if you struggle with sciences or maths then this might be an issue for you.

1st year is quite general and accessible- but look at the coursework for Year 2,3 and 4. Consider whether this is realistic for you.

I despise maths and never picked up a science, I found physical geography interesting in 1st year but tossed it in 2nd year as I am just not as interested in the nitty gritty of soil sampling, rock composition etc.

Thank you so much! Yeah even though it may not be directly related, I think Geography would be a really good back up.

Oh wow really, that's quite handy to know actually. I tend to enjoy human much more anyway but wasn't aware that there was loads of scientific modules in the physical course.. i'm definitely going to do a BA course and do Human then!

Thank you so much for your help!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending