The Student Room Group

Applying for several PhDs - What if they all start to slowly accept me?

I've applied for several PhDs that interest me, of course, some more than others.

I have applied for projects at the same university under different supervisors, sometimes in different departments. For some I have had interviews, others have interviews lined up. My two favourite projects have yet to respond. If it makes a difference, all of these are funded, some with industry links.

Now, I know it's unlikely, but let's say I get an offer from, say my 4th choice project over the next few days, how long do I have to reply. Obviously, I will take this project if I can't get the top 3, but I do not know about the other projects yet. I would like to attend all the interviews before I make the biggest decision of my professional life.

I hope this is clear, and I'm starting to ramble
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by S27
how long do i have to reply

Who can say? Contact the admissions department at the respective universities on that one.

It's fairly common practice to accept multiple PhD offers and then decline them if you don't get a funding award. Since yours all have funding attached, probably less so.

What I would say, though, is that, as in the world of work, I think it's perfectly acceptable to politely inform the department that you are waiting on the outcome of another application process, and that you'll need time to consider your options. They will probably tell you that's fine. In the (unlikely) event that they force your hand because they need to know NOW, you have your answer - but it's worth asking. It's not going to affect your standing if you are their top choice of candidate. They will have second preference candidates lined up in the event that their preferred person goes elsewhere anyway.

But anyway, sounds like this is all speculation. Cross that bridge when you come to it, there is nothing to worry about at this point. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by tomv46

What I would say, though, is that, as in the world of work, I think it's perfectly acceptable to politely inform the department that you are waiting on the outcome of another application process, and that you'll need time to consider your options.

Good luck.

Thank you, I will stress this in my future interviews, should I get them for my first two projects. In my first interview they never even asked about other pojects, and in my second I told them I had one other project I applied for (which was true at the time)
Original post by S27
Thank you, I will stress this in my future interviews, should I get them for my first two projects. In my first interview they never even asked about other pojects, and in my second I told them I had one other project I applied for (which was true at the time)

That's a good idea. Realistically, barely anybody applies for just one PhD project, given how competitive the market is. They'll be expecting you to have many irons in the fire - it would frankly be a bit weird if you didn't!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending