The Student Room Group

Doubting I've chosen the right degree course

I've chosen to study English Lit at uni starting in September and I was really excited to go and study this subject. I'm really happy with my first choice uni and I've enjoyed going to the English open days they've run, but I'm doubting myself and my ability to do English anymore.

This year I've really disliked studying my English Lit A Level and am starting to wonder if I've made the wrong decision. My teacher has made me doubt myself this year and I've really lost my confidence. I hate poetry and I'm not excited about studying that module in first year.

I've consistently done much better in History (at GCSE too) and at the moment enjoy it much more. I'm starting to think I would enjoy that more than English, but I like quite a lot of the English modules offered at uni in years 2 and 3.

I don't like the joint honours course structure so feel this isn't an option for me. I'm stuck trying to understand if I'm just not enjoying English at the moment and will enjoy it more at uni or if I should switch to history.

I haven't signed my student finance off yet. Is it too late to change my course? Would it be easy to do this now I've made my firm and insurance choices? I feel such a fool for thinking I've made a mistake.

Thank you.
Original post by apple583
I've chosen to study English Lit at uni starting in September and I was really excited to go and study this subject. I'm really happy with my first choice uni and I've enjoyed going to the English open days they've run, but I'm doubting myself and my ability to do English anymore.

This year I've really disliked studying my English Lit A Level and am starting to wonder if I've made the wrong decision. My teacher has made me doubt myself this year and I've really lost my confidence. I hate poetry and I'm not excited about studying that module in first year.

I've consistently done much better in History (at GCSE too) and at the moment enjoy it much more. I'm starting to think I would enjoy that more than English, but I like quite a lot of the English modules offered at uni in years 2 and 3.

I don't like the joint honours course structure so feel this isn't an option for me. I'm stuck trying to understand if I'm just not enjoying English at the moment and will enjoy it more at uni or if I should switch to history.

I haven't signed my student finance off yet. Is it too late to change my course? Would it be easy to do this now I've made my firm and insurance choices? I feel such a fool for thinking I've made a mistake.

Thank you.

if your firm and insurance offer history then yes you can ask them to switch to history and if they say no you'll have clearing as an option
Original post by apple583

Thank you.

Better to realise you don't want to english lit now than half way through your degree so you shouldn't feel like a fool lol
Reply 3
Don't know what Eng Lit at A level is like, but at GCSE it's "these are the three texts we're going to be studying for two years" and by the end of it you're sick of them and never want to see them again. Maybe it's this confidence-knocking teacher that's put you off. So maybe when you get to uni with all those broadened horizons it will be a enough of change to re-ignite your love of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending