The Student Room Group
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website

University of Suffolk?

I've heard really mixed reviews when it comes to the University of Suffolk. They're ranked 80th on the ranking board, but have climbed and used to be much lower. I'm just having doubts about the university, especially considering I've seen more negative feedback than good. Stating the quality of teaching is poor, but the campus itself is nice. I'm just interested in the actual university and it's standards.
Hey, a recent University of Suffolk graduate here 🙂

I studied English for three years at Undergraduate level, and then stayed on to study Creative and Critical Writing at Masters level. During my four years of study at the University my experience of the teaching was brilliant! All of the lecturers I had were passionate, knowledgeable and really cared about the work of each student, and my friends from other subject areas had similar experiences. It honestly shocks me that you've heard more negative feedback regarding the teaching than good, as that is directly contrary to my experience, and the experience of my friends.

Not to mention the university has also been awarded a silver TEF (Teaching Excellence Framework) and their stats for teaching quality in the NSS has been consistently good.

Happy to talk in more detail if you've got any questions about the university or the lecturers!

Solomon,
English graduate of the University of Suffolk 🙂
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website
Original post by azzyb524
I've heard really mixed reviews when it comes to the University of Suffolk. They're ranked 80th on the ranking board, but have climbed and used to be much lower. I'm just having doubts about the university, especially considering I've seen more negative feedback than good. Stating the quality of teaching is poor, but the campus itself is nice. I'm just interested in the actual university and it's standards.

Hi, Adama here, an international student in computing.
I want to address some concerns and doubts that have surfaced regarding the University of Suffolk. I understand that the university is currently ranked 80th, with mixed reviews circulating about its quality of teaching and overall standards. It's natural to feel apprehensive when making such an important decision, and as an international student, I was at the same stage when I was about to decide which university I should join for the best quality of teaching in order to be operational at the end of my degree. Stick with me, and I hope to provide some insights that may help you navigate these uncertainties.

Let's begin by acknowledging the university's ranking. It's crucial to look beyond this number and consider the factors influencing these rankings. Rankings often fluctuate due to various reasons, and a lower or higher position on the list doesn't necessarily define the quality of education or the university's commitment to its students.
It's important to recognize that individual experiences with teaching can vary. The quality of teaching may depend on factors such as the specific program, the faculty members involved, and the support structures in place. To gain a more accurate understanding, I encourage you to delve into specific programs, talk to current students, and seek insights from academic advisors.
On a positive note, feedback about the campus itself has been more favorable. The aesthetic appeal and the learning environment are crucial components of the overall university experience. If these factors hold significance for you, it might be worthwhile to visit the campus or attend university events to get a firsthand feel for the atmosphere.
Beyond rankings and subjective opinions, accreditation is a key factor to consider. Accreditation is a testament to a university's commitment to meeting specific academic standards. I recommend looking into the accreditation status of the University of Suffolk and understanding the criteria involved. This information can provide assurance regarding the institution's dedication to maintaining high-quality educational standards.

In conclusion, choosing a university is a significant decision that requires careful consideration, as I did. While rankings and reviews offer valuable insights, they should be complemented by personal research and exploration.
The University of Suffolk integrates the demands of contemporary jobs and entrepreneurship with the best traditions of UK universities. It is a unique, vibrant academic community with a noticeable, direct influence. The university's goals are centered on the cooperation between students and staff, which is fundamental to the student experience. It was granted the TEF (Teaching Excellence Framework) for this reason among others.
Thank you for your attention, and I wish you all the best in your decision-making process.
Hi azzyb524, I'm sorry to learn you've had mostly negative feedback about the University.
Was it all online feedback and rankings, or did you speak to current/graduated students here?

I join Solomon and Adama commenting before me. They gave very good insights and Adama also mentioned the importance of making a considerate decision when choosing a course and a University, especially if you do not have the opportunity to check out the Uni in person before starting, and obviously, if you are an international student, I appreciate it becomes super important to make the right decision because of such high course fees. However, in my opinion, 'oversearching' the right choice, like so many other things, can turn out to be a double-edged sword, as it always may feel you could have chosen better. But, to aid you, even if just a tiny bit, to end up with something good enough and what you are content with, I have the following insights for you:

Piggybacking on the ones commenting before me: I have also had mostly positive experiences regarding teaching here and I find it a HUGE positive here at Suffolk compared to other places (e.g. my own country), where teachers do not like students asking questions or do not learn with them, only give lectures to them. Here, I found that the opposite is true: the teachers that I've met so far (as a 3rd year Psychology and Sociology student) were all very helpful and motivated about their teaching, also very open to learn new things from students and hear their feedback, their input. As both Solomon and Adama pointed out, it is probably because of this and by no mistake that the University has been awarded a Silver Teaching Excellence Framework. I can only recommend you to come along for one of the open days if you have the opportunity to do so - there are taster sessions available on open days where you can have a little feel of how our teachers approach students and their work. We also conduct campus tours on an on-demand basis where you can see the campus for yourself, it's super easy to book them on our website. 😉

I understand that rankings are an important measure when considering education quality. However, as Adama mentioned, accreditation is also important, which I think the University does well - or at least with my course, my degree will be accredited by the relevant society, which is a requirement of many employers in my case (but I reckon it is similar with other courses) and the university knows that. We also have a whole team and space on campus dedicated to employability, thus showing that the insititution takes helping students towards promising future careers seriously. The University, as you also mentioned, has climbed and keeps on climbing many places up, showing that they are dynamically are employing student feedback - our Student Union is a great example for this. :smile:

What course do you have in mind doing? And when would you start your university studies? Have you chosen any particular area you want to study?
If so, it's important to look up what our Uni has to offer in comparison to other institutions in regards to that subject/those subjects, and since rankings were mentioned, maybe checking out the rankings and feedback for that course/those courses in particular. It is never easy to draw general conclusions for so many courses and schools we have!

I hope my comments proves slightly helpful and please don't hesitate to ask any questions or clarification, I'm more than happy to answer whatever I can, and I'd be happy to hear from your prospects and academic ambitions! 🙂

Viki
3rd year Psychology and Sociology student
University of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending