The Student Room Group

Confused

I will be starting university later this month but everything has become extremely overwhelming i don’t think I’ve chosen the right course, i don’t even know if i want to go anymore. I’ve picked law and the reason i picked it is also stupid as i am following my friends but soon as the timetables came in we weren’t together and i have extreme social anxiety so i thought if we’re together we can help each other but I’m now having doubts as i don’t think i have the mental strength to study such a challenging subject everything is happening super quickly and it feels as though I’m losing control. I literally don’t know what i want from life and the sudden realisation that I’m in charge of my own future has become devastatingly hard to handle. The last couple of days my mental health has dropped significantly i can’t sleep, eat and I’ve been sick frequently everyone is telling me theres hundreds of courses to choose from but there not realising that i physically cannot attend as I’m so nervous about new environments i even changed which college i went to, to be with my friends because i was dying internally. I honestly have lost ambition and have don’t know what to do with myself.
Sounds like you need to speak to a therapist, your course/department convenor and also your friends. If you think you will be in a better state of mind later on to deal with the course, you can ask to defer your degree until next year. If you really don't think you can handle it, it's better dropping out now so you don't have to pay any of the fees, but it could also be that your current state is what is making you think you won't enjoy the degree, and in a clearer state of mind you might be more determined. This is where contacting someone in charge of your course will be useful, they'll be able to talk you through the options. But prioritise trying to get mental health assistance if you're not already, it really does sound like you need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending