How did you find this exam?

Amazing! :woo: 34%
Good :H 38%
OKAY. :bebored: 16%
Bad... :cry2: 7%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@5%
Total votes: 134
:biggrin:

I didn't see any exam threads for S3, and I'm assuming a fair amount of people on TSR will be taking the exam, so I have made the thread for it!

I'm copying the resources @Kevin De Bruyne shared when he made the S3 thread last year, hopefully he doesn't mind :colondollar:

Madasmaths - awesome website for loads of things for all of your exams, with a few topics that come up in S3.

PhysicsAndMathsTutor - link to loads of useful things.

FMSP revision page - some videos to watch about the specification and a specific set of exam questions.

Obviously I'm sitting the exam too! If anyone has any extra resources to share then that would be great. This is an easy exam as far as Further Maths go, so let's try to bank the full UMS :smile:

Any questions ask and I'll try to help (if others haven't answered already)

@Zacken would you be up for helping with any questions? And will you be doing model solutions for the paper? Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iMacJack
:biggrin:

I didn't see any exam threads for S3, and I'm assuming a fair amount of people on TSR will be taking the exam, so I have made the thread for it!

I'm copying the resources @Kevin De Bruyne shared when he made the S3 thread last year, hopefully he doesn't mind :colondollar:

Madasmaths - awesome website for loads of things for all of your exams, with a few topics that come up in S3.

PhysicsAndMathsTutor - link to loads of useful things.

FMSP revision page - some videos to watch about the specification and a specific set of exam questions.

Obviously I'm sitting the exam too! If anyone has any extra resources to share then that would be great. This is an easy exam as far as Further Maths go, so let's try to bank the full UMS :smile:

Any questions ask and I'll try to help (if others haven't answered already)

@Zacken would you be up for helping with any questions? And will you be doing model solutions for the paper? Cheers.

Very nice... good luck chaps.

My advice is to never look back on exams and just enjoy your summer :lol:
Reply 2
Hi

Just a quick question. Is finding confidence intervals for variances on the edexcel spec?

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/S3/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/S3%20Confidence%20intervals.pdf

Question 1 part b asks about it there bit Ive never seen it been asked otherwise?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by AM66
Hi

Just a quick question. Is finding confidence intervals for variances on the edexcel spec?

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/S3/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/S3%20Confidence%20intervals.pdf

Question 1 part b asks about it there bit Ive never seen it been asked otherwise?

Thanks

Hey, this is an error in the question pack, part B is aimed at S4, as is part C. I think it is on the pack because part A is attainable.
Reply 4
Anyone any ideas on d and e? From the edexcel S3 book

Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know why for the difference in two means formula in the formula book it says you do (X-Y) (as in X bar minus Y bar) rather than just small x bar - small y bar? because the latter is what you actually do in questions I'm pretty sure, you use the SPECIFIC sample mean rather than the sampling distribution mean
Reply 6
out of curiosity: how many of you are Additional Further Mathematicians?
Original post by Lenniah
out of curiosity: how many of you are Additional Further Mathematicians?

I'm one lol.....
Reply 8
Original post by Andy Lau
I'm one lol.....

How's it going?
Original post by Lenniah
How's it going?

The modules are not as hard once you've done some papers. I would say M4 is the trickiest one.
Reply 10
Original post by Andy Lau
The modules are not as hard once you've done some papers. I would say M4 is the trickiest one.

I find M5 to be worse. Maybe it's the scarier number, haha, or the fact that I loathe all Mechanics, so everything seems terrible unless practiced, lol. Good luck with all of your exams!
Reply 11
Can anyone shed any light on this last question? I get that you can switch it to the fact (Xbar - mu) > 0.5 is 10% but then why does the equality flip again straight after?

Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by AM66
Can anyone shed any light on this last question? I get that you can switch it to the fact (Xbar - mu) > 0.5 is 10% but then why does the equality flip again straight after?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1495055555.914253.jpg
Let me know if this helps you understand it better? Can you read my handwriting by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lenniah
I find M5 to be worse. Maybe it's the scarier number, haha, or the fact that I loathe all Mechanics, so everything seems terrible unless practiced, lol. Good luck with all of your exams!

Cheers! Are you doing ADF as well? Which unis did you get offers from?
Reply 14

Let me know if this helps you understand it better? Can you read my handwriting by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that makes perfect sense. I was getting the z values the wrong way around. Thanks :smile:
Reply 15
No worries! How are you feeling in general for the exam?

Original post by AM66
No that makes perfect sense. I was getting the z values the wrong way around. Thanks :smile:
Original post by CaiusMartius
Does anybody know why for the difference in two means formula in the formula book it says you do (X-Y) (as in X bar minus Y bar) rather than just small x bar - small y bar? because the latter is what you actually do in questions I'm pretty sure, you use the SPECIFIC sample mean rather than the sampling distribution mean

My thoughts on this would be that because when it uses the capitals, it's illustrating the distribution rather than specific samples. Small ones refer to actual statistics whereas big ones refer to the variables themselves.
Good luck guys watch out for those mistakes
Reply 18
Hey, this is an error in the question pack, part B is aimed at S4, as is part C. I think it is on the pack because part A is attainable.

lol which part of S4 is this? whoops
Reply 19
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1495219978.092092.jpg Part B anyone know why h1: is p>0, I thought it would be <0? It says 'She claimed that there was no positive correlation' ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending