The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indyyyy
Ultimately it's at the discretion of the admission tutor, typically entry requirements are from AAA-AAB. I would assume predicted grades being within this parameter may get you an offer. Optometry is competitive so possibly looking at different courses? Ideally you do not want to apply for a course and then not get any offers
Hope that helped...

no still gonna apply for optometry i think cause people have got in with my kinda grades. it depends on other things as well. if it doesn't work out then i'll probs try something else but thanks.
Original post by there'snoneed
no still gonna apply for optometry i think cause people have got in with my kinda grades. it depends on other things as well. if it doesn't work out then i'll probs try something else but thanks.

What universities will you be applying to
Original post by ThatMadClown
What universities will you be applying to

not sure at the moment but probs Aston, City, Hertfordshire. I don't know where else i think the others are too far.
not sure at the moment but probs Aston, City, Hertfordshire. I don't know where else i think the others are too far.

All good universities, you don't know what you've got yet so it's best to wait until results day.
All good universities, you don't know what you've got yet so it's best to wait until results day.

i'm in my first year of a levels and I've already gotten back my mock results but not the predicted grades but yh i guess so. do u finalise ur results after u get your real a level results? or do u have to do it before that?
i'm in my first year of a levels and I've already gotten back my mock results but not the predicted grades but yh i guess so. do u finalise ur results after u get your real a level results? or do u have to do it before that?

What do you mean by finalising? Your predicted grades will be based on AS levels if I can remember correctly. And then the universities will use the grades you got in AS level, alongside your CV and work experience to offer you a conditional/unconditional place.
What do you mean by finalising? Your predicted grades will be based on AS levels if I can remember correctly. And then the universities will use the grades you got in AS level, alongside your CV and work experience to offer you a conditional/unconditional place.

yh but say if you got 3 offers, when do u choose which one to firm?
yh but say if you got 3 offers, when do u choose which one to firm?

I think it's around May, if someone can correct me, but yeah you firm one choice and insure another in case you don't get the results for your firm.
I think it's around May, if someone can correct me, but yeah you firm one choice and insure another in case you don't get the results for your firm.

ok thanks
ok thanks

No problem, do focus on trying to get some work experience, and it'll help add to your personal statement too. Grades aren't important, but it's about the individual as well, what they're capa of and what they can offer the course. Having work experience, you could mention some things you've learned from it too. :smile:
No problem, do focus on trying to get some work experience, and it'll help add to your personal statement too. Grades aren't important, but it's about the individual as well, what they're capa of and what they can offer the course. Having work experience, you could mention some things you've learned from it too. :smile:

yeah thank you very much. ur very helpful. i gonna get some work experience at specsavers. how long do u think i need? i know time doesn't matter, it's more about what u learned in that time but roughly? do u think extracurricular activities are important?
yeah thank you very much. ur very helpful. i gonna get some work experience at specsavers. how long do u think i need? i know time doesn't matter, it's more about what u learned in that time but roughly? do u think extracurricular activities are important?

Specsavers would be good, and yeah time doesn't really matter, I don't think you'd have to mention how long you've been working there on your personal statement either. But I think 4-5 days would be good enough. Just make sure you let them know what you've learned and that it wasn't wasted, and you're able to apply the knowledge you picked up to the course. And yes, extracurricular activities are important, they show that you're involved in other things too, that you can work around your revision to put in some times for hobbies. What are your extracurricular activities?
Specsavers would be good, and yeah time doesn't really matter, I don't think you'd have to mention how long you've been working there on your personal statement either. But I think 4-5 days would be good enough. Just make sure you let them know what you've learned and that it wasn't wasted, and you're able to apply the knowledge you picked up to the course. And yes, extracurricular activities are important, they show that you're involved in other things too, that you can work around your revision to put in some times for hobbies. What are your extracurricular activities?

i don't have very active one's and i'm scared of that there isn't one that stands out. i do volunteering tho so I don't know. none are that practical. i like writing (poetry type) and drawing (anime/manga). i also have an interest in playing the piano and dance but never actually go the chance.
i don't have very active one's and i'm scared of that there isn't one that stands out. i do volunteering tho so I don't know. none are that practical. i like writing (poetry type) and drawing (anime/manga). i also have an interest in playing the piano and dance but never actually go the chance.

Those are more than enough, and the volunteer thing is great too because your giving up your own time as well. As for activities, that's fine too because you draw which is good as it counts towards your manual dexterity, and the writing thing is great too.
Hi, I was a hopeful med applicant but im extremely unsure about that now and thinking of pursuing optometry instead. I know im a little late so i might take a gap year to get more work experience on optom but I already have a few placements in hospitals. would i be allowed to write about this in my personal statement for optom or do universities only look for healthcare work exp as opposed to opticians? do you think im too late to consider optometry
Hi, I'm a part of the Manchester access programme (for university of Manchester) and through this I get to talk to optom lecturers and the admissions team, it's actually very common for people to put optometry as their second option after medicine / dentistry and they still get in. You can very easily make the work experience apply to optometry, they look for experience in healthcare (so they know you've got both the grades and human interaction) but it wouldn't hurt emailing some opticians and asking for a week / 2 weeks worth of work experience. I currently do one day a week for 2 months. A tip is to ask independent practices as they're more likely to give you it. Good luck!
Hi I am thinking about studying optometry at university but finding work experience at an opticians is hard.
Original post by anonymousme123
Hi, I'm a part of the Manchester access programme (for university of Manchester) and through this I get to talk to optom lecturers and the admissions team, it's actually very common for people to put optometry as their second option after medicine / dentistry and they still get in. You can very easily make the work experience apply to optometry, they look for experience in healthcare (so they know you've got both the grades and human interaction) but it wouldn't hurt emailing some opticians and asking for a week / 2 weeks worth of work experience. I currently do one day a week for 2 months. A tip is to ask independent practices as they're more likely to give you it. Good luck!

im also part of MAP! but im on the medicine strand which is why i feel i dont have a solid taste of the optical environment. what kind of things would you say you learnt from speaking to lecturers and the admissions tutors? thanks for the advice, im actually going to do some work experience over the summer and change my personal statement to suit optom better. what made you want to choose this career?
Original post by shawnmendesfan
im also part of MAP! but im on the medicine strand which is why i feel i dont have a solid taste of the optical environment. what kind of things would you say you learnt from speaking to lecturers and the admissions tutors? thanks for the advice, im actually going to do some work experience over the summer and change my personal statement to suit optom better. what made you want to choose this career?

It was basically a process of elimination from medicine, pharmacy, optometry and dentistry + after speaking to people in the industry I decided on optometry :smile: Not very interesting
Original post by anonymousme123
It was basically a process of elimination from medicine, pharmacy, optometry and dentistry + after speaking to people in the industry I decided on optometry :smile: Not very interesting

can i ask why you decided not to opt for medicine?

Latest