The Student Room Group

Accepting offer than not turning up

I'm unsure what university to accept an offer for but I want to apply for accommodation asap.

Does anyone know if anything happens if I accept an offer but choose not to attend.
I Mean most universities won't let you apply for accommodation until you've made them your firm choice..
Original post by bobsburgers
I'm unsure what university to accept an offer for but I want to apply for accommodation asap.

Does anyone know if anything happens if I accept an offer but choose not to attend.

Why will you be applying for accommodation if you dont even know where you will be going?

If you firm a place, and get your results, then they will expect you to turn up. If you later decide you dont wish to go then you need to inform them and they are unlikely to hold you to that place and will release you.

If you form a place and accept after the results, then you will be made an offer of accommodation. You normally accept that offer by confirming and returning a deposit c £250. If you then decide not to attend you normally lose the deposit, but they may let you off the contract as long as you dont start at uni.

If you start at uni and move in, then the responsibility to pay for your accommodation for the year is yours as detailed n your agreement.

Dont dither, make your mind up and keep them informed.
Reply 3
Original post by Jackieox
I Mean most universities won't let you apply for accommodation until you've made them your firm choice..

Original post by 999tigger
Why will you be applying for accommodation if you dont even know where you will be going?

If you firm a place, and get your results, then they will expect you to turn up. If you later decide you dont wish to go then you need to inform them and they are unlikely to hold you to that place and will release you.

If you form a place and accept after the results, then you will be made an offer of accommodation. You normally accept that offer by confirming and returning a deposit c £250. If you then decide not to attend you normally lose the deposit, but they may let you off the contract as long as you dont start at uni.

If you start at uni and move in, then the responsibility to pay for your accommodation for the year is yours as detailed n your agreement.

Dont dither, make your mind up and keep them informed.

This is in postgrad, so there is no such thing as a firm choice
Original post by Juno
This is in postgrad, so there is no such thing as a firm choice

In that case any acceptance of accommodation becomes a binding contract.
I expect they will still require a non refundable deposit.
They may allow cancellation if the person never enrolls.
If a person does enroll or moves in then its likely the whole fee is due and this is unlikely to be open for negotiation.

Talk to accommodation and read your contract OP. If the OP is a postgrad they are old and lever enough to know this by now.
Reply 5
Sorry guys don't think I was clear I've made a couple postgraduate applications in which I've received offers, I can't apply for accommodation for either until I accept the offer to study. I would like to be able to apply for accommodation but not necessarily take the offer of accommodation but also maybe not go to the university. I would just like to know if anything happens if I accept an offer to study but then decide not to go. Thanks!

OP is not a postgrad yet brapp
Original post by bobsburgers
Sorry guys don't think I was clear I've made a couple postgraduate applications in which I've received offers, I can't apply for accommodation for either until I accept the offer to study. I would like to be able to apply for accommodation but not necessarily take the offer of accommodation but also maybe not go to the university. I would just like to know if anything happens if I accept an offer to study but then decide not to go. Thanks!

OP is not a postgrad yet brapp

Before applying for accommodation you need to accept the offer, and some universities ask for a deposit. Once you've applied for accommodation expect a deposit as well so if you back out from a university you won't be able to get any refunds, from what I understand.

I'm on the same boat as you, I've accepted all 3 offers (they haven't asked for deposits yet. 2 of them say by June I have to pay a deposit), however have yet to apply for accommodation as I am still waiting on one other university.

I suggest you wait until you are very sure on a university before applying for accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending