The Student Room Group

Access to Higher education course dilemma

Hi there,
I turned 30 this year which made me reflect on where my life is heading in regards to career prospects etc and that returning to education is something I'd like to do, I don't have the required grades to apply straight to university so thought I would Apply for an Access to HE course at my local college.

Quite unprofessionally they informed me less than a month prior to the course start date that only one other person had signed up for this particular course (Humanities and social sciences) and they would only be going ahead with a completely different one (healthcare) and would be online rather than in person, so I withdrew my application.

I don't know exactly where to go from here as it's too late for this academic year, but I don't want to try my luck with this college again in 2024 yet I planned to quit my job to pursue this living off savings, yet if I have to travel and or relocate to do this course I know the cost is going to spiral setting me up in a bad situation.

Online Access to HE seems to be not ideal especially for someone who has been outside of education for 12 years from reading these forums and people's experiences, I'd rather do an in person course.

I'm in Chelmsford, Essex, all surrounding colleges in other towns seem to cost 300+ a month for a train fare or don't offer this Access course which is the pathway I need for my particular university course choices.

Any ideas?
-Jake
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Jake_93
Hi there,
I turned 30 this year which made me reflect on where my life is heading in regards to career prospects etc and that returning to education is something I'd like to do, I don't have the required grades to apply straight to university so thought I would Apply for an Access to HE course at my local college.

Quite unprofessionally they informed me less than a month prior to the course start date that only one other person had signed up for this particular course (Humanities and social sciences) and they would only be going ahead with a completely different one (healthcare) and would be online rather than in person, so I withdrew my application.

I don't know exactly where to go from here as it's too late for this academic year, but I don't want to try my luck with this college again in 2024 yet I planned to quit my job to pursue this living off savings, yet if I have to travel and or relocate to do this course I know the cost is going to spiral setting me up in a bad situation.

Online Access to HE seems to be not ideal especially for someone who has been outside of education for 12 years from reading these forums and people's experiences, I'd rather do an in person course.

I'm in Chelmsford, Essex, all surrounding colleges in other towns seem to cost 300+ a month for a train fare or don't offer this Access course which is the pathway I need for my particular university course choices.

Any ideas?
-Jake

Have you searched on https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search ?
Looks like there's a number of different colleges in your area offering Access diplomas - it's common for these courses to accept late applications.

Quick Reply

Latest