The Student Room Group

Master's in Modern and Contemporary Literature: Program Ratings?

Hello there, I'm preparing to apply to postgraduate programs in Modern and Contemporary Literature this coming fall/winter, but I'm having difficulty narrowing my list down. I'm an American student and am not so familiar with these universities, and though I've tried to do some research in my spare time, I am hoping some of you are more familiar with these programs and will be able to help me out in narrowing my list. (Also, what is considered a good number to apply to?)

Ultimately, I'd like to know where these programs stand in relation to one another, as well as how competitive are the admissions to each.

Here's what I have so far:

Trinity College Dublin: Irish Writing (my top choice; I'm particularly interested in modernist Irish writers)

University College Dublin: Anglo-Irish Literature and Drama

University of Edinburgh: Literature and Modernity

University of St Andrews: Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture

University of Glasgow: Modernities - Literature, Culture, Theory

University of Manchester: Modern and Contemporary Literature

University of Birmingham: Literature and Culture (20th-21st Century Pathway)

Queen Mary University of London: Writing in the Modern Age

University of Leeds: English Literature (Modern and Contemporary Pathway)

Thank you all in advance for your insight!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bluejay96

Hi,

It's highly unlikely that someone will have gone to all these unis to compare. Besides picking unis is a very personal decision so no one can make it for you. People may have comments about specific unis but those are personal and will depend on what's important to them. You need to make a list of things that are important to you and then compare unis based on those things. A good way to start is to compare courses by going through each with a fine toothed comb and working out what the differences are. What will be taught and how will it be assessed, how much flexibility is there, where do grads end up, what links with industry does the uni have, what are the facilities like and what work or research experience opportunities are there? You may also want to compare cities and finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending