The Student Room Group

Thoughts on starting a personal statement with a quote?

Scroll to see replies

A quote doesn't give anything at all even if it's relevant. It makes you seem like you couldn't think of anything and that you were trying to up your word count. Avoid it along with other common phrases
Original post by Rigby16
Bit harsh, it's a forum where people contribute all they have to go on is their experiences - you can't shut someone down because they're sharing their view?

They can share their view. I was just explaining why their experience isn't repeatable. It certainly doesn't negate the stated opinions of admissions staff for decades which boils down to "no quotes".

A quote isn't going to mean an automatic rejection just like an outstanding PS isn't going to mean an automatic offer. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to include a quote against the advice of admissions staff. Demonstrating that you've either failed to research what admissions staff want in a PS or think you know better because some kid online got 5/5 offers with a quote isn't going to do your application any favours.
I don't really et the point in personal statements anyway. I can see the utility if you wanted to do a degree in law or a degree in sale if such a course exists your selling yourself and showing your ability to sell an idea or case etc. But for stem subjects it seems utterly pointless and irrelevant if I want to do a degree in computer science math or engineering how is my ability to write a small essay about why I want to do that relevant?
It's not the accent - it's that cliche is a noun so "it's cliche" is not grammatical. Just a common mistake I see.
Reply 24
Original post by PQ
For maths you could have copied a 40 line quote from scooby doo and still got offers from most universities. Maths admissions staff don't normally put any weighting on a personal statement. Other subjects do. Your personal experience doesn't mean you're qualified to advise future applicants.

And do you know what subject he/she wants to study...?

I explicitly stated that this worked me for Mathematics because I am aware that OP could be looking into an arts subject/different science subject.

You may know more about this area than I do, but you don't need to be pretentious.
Original post by chazwomaq
It's a cliché or it's clichéed.
It's clichée actually.
Reply 26
Original post by loloway
And do you know what subject he/she wants to study...?

I explicitly stated that this worked me for Mathematics because I am aware that OP could be looking into an arts subject/different science subject.

You may know more about this area than I do, but you don't need to be pretentious.

It "worked" because, as PQ mentioned, the PS is unimportant for maths.

You would have got 5/5 offers anyway no matter whether you used a quote or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tootles
It's clichée actually.

In French maybe when it's feminine. Not when you use the word in English.
I mean personally i wouldn't add quotes - but if you have a VERY VERY relevant quote then you could consider it but i just think quotes are a bit extra.
Original post by Luke7456
I don't really et the point in personal statements anyway. I can see the utility if you wanted to do a degree in law or a degree in sale if such a course exists your selling yourself and showing your ability to sell an idea or case etc. But for stem subjects it seems utterly pointless and irrelevant if I want to do a degree in computer science math or engineering how is my ability to write a small essay about why I want to do that relevant?

so they don’t waste time offering the course to someone who doesn’t care? Lots of people get good grades, you have to whittle it down somehow. And yes, you still need to have writing skills for STEM subjects.
Reply 30
Well, thing about quotes is that they flag up on the plagiarism detectors. That’s points off before you even begin.
It’s a personal statement after all. Do what you feel will best express you and your passions :smile:

Although ngl, the thought of a quote kicking off a PS seems very cheesy to me.
Original post by giella
Well, thing about quotes is that they flag up on the plagiarism detectors. That’s points off before you even begin.

Who is exactly deducting points? Do you realise you aren’t graded by Unis on the percentage of plagiarism in your PS 😂

UCAS would know the similarity to other PS but the Unis themselves can’t see this. UCAS would flag the plagiarism, not the Unis themselves.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33
My uni runs every PS through a plagiarism detector.
Reply 34
And yes, a bad plagiarism report doesn’t exactly scream original thinker. In some departments they’ll throw out an application based on this. In others, it will be given a poorer score, especially in competitive departments. I’ve actually worked in an admissions department so I do know what I’m talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending