The Student Room Group

Donald Trump ready to withdraw from Paris climate agreement

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
You haven't read what I said. Anyone who believes that man-made action is not causing the bleaching of coral, is not treated as a climate scientist.

You implied that the whole thing is faith-based and therefore not scientific and therefore not to be taken seriously. I was merely pointing out that it must be an awfully powerful faith and asking where I can get some of that.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You implied that the whole thing is faith-based and therefore not scientific and therefore not to be taken seriously. I was merely pointing out that it must be an awfully powerful faith and asking where I can get some of that.

I didn't suggest anything of the kind (at least in this post).
I didn't suggest anything of the kind (at least in this post).

Ha, OK fine, I know you're used to legalisms, but I suspect that to the average reasonable person, statements like "climate science is a discipline of true believers" and "you cannot become a climate scientist unless you believe in man-made global warming" might reasonably be taken to imply that global warming can be dismissed as the fabrication of a cult of strange deluded climatologists.

Silly of me, probably.
Reply 83
Very interesting link. Stefan is a pretty down to earth intelligent guy, and I have no reason to disbelieve him.

I had no idea it would cost 100 trillion dollars and do next to nothing to protect the enviroment. [Which Im all for]
Reply 85
Original post by Rover73
Very interesting link. Stefan is a pretty down to earth intelligent guy, and I have no reason to disbelieve him.

I had no idea it would cost 100 trillion dollars and do next to nothing to protect the enviroment. [Which Im all for]

To put that figure in context, there were 296 million cases of malaria in 2015, killing 731,000 people (90% in Africa, making poor communities even poorer).

"The total amount of projected funding needed for the current malaria-eliminating countries to achieve elimination and prevent reintroduction through 2030 is approximately US$8.5 billion" (source).

The Paris Agreement costs 11,765 times as much. (I wouldn't be surprised if it has already cost that much , does anyone have a figure?) Any commitment to spend that money? Not to my knowledge, charities like Unicef are sending charity workers out to collect.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by blah3210
Dear Leader Donald Trump will ensure the US joins Syria and Nicaragua in not supporting the Paris climate agreement, in a bid to defy the ((globalists)) and the ((green agenda)). After all, we all know global warming is a Chinese communist hoax; we're too smart to fall for these silly environmentalist liberal cuck schemes. Go Trump. MAGA!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/31/donald-trump-withdraw-paris-climate-change-agreement

Might be worth adding a poll to this thread to see if people agree of disagree with this move?
A few hundred cows farting, and a volcano going off somewhere, and boom, they wont meet their targets. Im all for climate protection, but this accord smells literally like a load of bullsh** to me. :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 88
Disgraceful how No.10 wants to continue this is so called 'special relationship' with a complete moron. The theoretical basis of climate change predicted by pioneering Chemist Svante Arrhenius in 1896, long before the evidence started to appear.

http://www.rsc.org/images/Arrhenius1896_tcm18-173546.pdf

There is so much evidence for it now, I couldn't possibly direct you to every single paper. Here are some notable ones:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v421/n6918/abs/nature01286.html

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0469%281967%29024%3C0241%3ATEOTAW%3E2.0.CO%3B2

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2153-3490.1976.tb00701.x/abstract

The climate is changing, no matter if you believe it is or not. Science doesn't rely on belief.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Empirical
No that is called cherry picking evidence.

For example the Verheggen et Al study, 2014 surveyed 1,868 climate scientists. What do you think climate scientists are going to say? There is no climate change?

The John Cook et al 2013 study surveyed 11,944 published articles on the subject. Again what do you think they are generally going to say, articles introducing a new topic.

A neutral study would have to go and ask several thousand scientists chosen at random from the entire population o scientists and be able to prove it's neutrality though unbiased sampling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay well if don't believe the scientists, look around you. Proof for climate change is in the changing weather patterns, increasing risk of drought (eg in Somalia) and flooding (eg in Peru) which is affecting thousands of people. Climate change is also affecting coral reefs (an important resource which 250 million people depend on for food globally) because increased temperatures cause coral bleaching. So although climate change is an idea produced by scientists, personally I don't think it's something we can choose to believe or disbelieve when we can see the effects on biodiversity and people
Original post by NJA
To put that figure in context, there were 296 million cases of malaria in 2015, killing 731,000 people (90% in Africa, making poor communities even poorer).

"The total amount of projected funding needed for the current malaria-eliminating countries to achieve elimination and prevent reintroduction through 2030 is approximately US$8.5 billion" (source).

The Paris Agreement costs 11,765 times as much. (I wouldn't be surprised if it has already cost that much , does anyone have a figure?) Any commitment to spend that money? Not to my knowledge, charities like Unicef are sending charity workers out to collect.

There's wild exaggeration (mainly coming from special interest groups financed by Big Oil, Big Coal, etc) about the costs of climate change rectification work. For example, money spent on solar panels or creating renewable energy developments are spent in the regular economy, so although these are represented as 'spending', they also have the usual economic boost effect of any contract. They also 'save' loads of money in the future by reducing dependence on expensive oil, gas and coal imports.
Original post by Trapz99
That's if climate change is real

Are you just a professional idiot? Why are you more qualified than the thousands of scientists and the 195 countries who all agree on this?
Original post by Robby2312
Are you just a professional idiot? Why are you more qualified than the thousands of scientists and the 195 countries who all agree on this?

I'm just joking to be honest
Original post by JMR2017
Absolutely ridiculous. And to think our Prime Minister holds hands with the guy who wants to wreck our planet. Lets make June the end of May.

Agreed :congrats::congrats::congrats:
I am sorry, climate science is a discipline of true believers. Effectively you cannot become a climate scientist unless you believe in man-made global warming. Haven't you noticed that scientific sceptics aren't described as climate scientists; they are always described as chemists, biologists, physicists or whatever.

Likewise you won't find any academic in the field of surveillance studies who wants more cctv cameras. Surveillance studies is a discipline for complaining about the amount of surveillance. Electronic security is the discipline for people who want more surveillance. They write in different journals, they go to different conferences and they do not engage with one another.

Climate science like surveillance studies is a club for like-minded people.

If those who don't agree with anthropogenic climate change aren't referred to as climate change scientists, then the previously discussed figure of 97%, should be 100%?

Why are you placing so much value on the terms used by the media to refer to scientists? Climate scientists consists of all those areas of expertise you mentioned and more, of course it's going to use a broad term to encompass them all. It makes sense.

If you aren't going to listen to the experts becuase they might be biased, then who on earth are you going to listen to?

This is the reasoning-

I Nulli Tertius do not believe in anthropogenic climate change, the actions required to intervene goes against my world views, it makes me uncomfortable. It's not in my interests to believe in climate change.

After a lay individual expressses their beliefs of CC, I disagree. They aren't experts, they know nothing.

After hearing of documentaries, news articles expressing CC concerns, I reject it. These people are biased, again they know nothing of the truth.

After being presented with academic research (scientific, evidence based research) which indicates the existence of anthropogenic CC, I disregard it entirely based on the titles used to describe these scientists.
These people can't possibly be searching for the truth, despite that being the core of science.

So where does that leave me?
To quite comfortably agree with only those who share the exact same opinion as me.

A lay individual expresses their disbelief in CC, I agree!

A news article expresses their disbelief in CC, agreed again!

A small minority of scientists disagree with CC, I agree with the minority!

I think it's just sheer weakness, to let your ideology drive your thinking to the point of irrationality.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
How... have you managed to bring up terrorism in a thread about global warming?

Quite simply really: because you declared climate change the most pressing issue when I think the majority would say either the economy or terrorism. In fact, to Americans Gallup reckon only 2% see it as the most pressing issue (on par with terrorism)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1675/most-important-problem.aspx
And now nearly 24 hours later nobody has said why it's bad other than "because it is." Somebody please tell us all why it is a bad idea when the effect would be something like maximum 0.034C over the next 82 years based on assumptions that maximise the figure. That figure is based on the 0.2C estimated effect of complete implementation of all measures well beyond the expiry of the accord, and then assuming linear effects on output vs increase and the current figure of the US contributing 17% of CO2 emissions, clearly established as a maximum because there wouldn't be full implementation, it wouldn't be extended, and that 17% figure is going to be dropping sharply as the developing world continues to develop and need more power.
I was reading through a PDF of the agreement

here's an interesting piece..

Acknowledging that climate change is a common concern of humankind,
Parties should, when taking action to address climate change, respect, promote and consider their respective obligations on human rights, the right to health, the rights of indigenous peoples, local communities, migrants, children, persons with disabilities and people in vulnerable situations and the right to development, as well as gender equality, empowerment of women and intergenerational equity,

What does this have to do with tackling climate change?!
Original post by Jammy Duel
And now nearly 24 hours later nobody has said why it's bad other than "because it is." Somebody please tell us all why it is a bad idea when the effect would be something like maximum 0.034C over the next 82 years based on assumptions that maximise the figure. That figure is based on the 0.2C estimated effect of complete implementation of all measures well beyond the expiry of the accord, and then assuming linear effects on output vs increase and the current figure of the US contributing 17% of CO2 emissions, clearly established as a maximum because there wouldn't be full implementation, it wouldn't be extended, and that 17% figure is going to be dropping sharply as the developing world continues to develop and need more power.

Get some figures from a reliable source instead of infowars. Then we can talk cos right now you're just hopelessly tryna defend a climate change denier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending