The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni

There’s sooo many questions like this on here but I can’t find the answers I’m looking for, or there’s five different answers and it still doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

Anyway, I’m looking at dropping out. I wouldn’t be able to do this until April (more than likely) because of my tenancy agreement and needing to pay all rent before I can leave it (unless I can find to replace me for it). Therefore, I was wondering about SFE repayments.

I know for tuition fees, I’ll be paying it all back if I leave even at the start of the third term, but I’m not sure about maintenance loans or the scholarship. If I spend a chunk of my maintenance loan on my rent, withdraw, and then return to them the remaining £££, would the rest of the cash be returned via the usual way of earning above the threshold? Same with the scholarship; if I’ve been awarded it, do I have to pay that back too? Or is that essentially my money? I’m not too sure how it all works.

If anyone wants to dumb it down how the repayments all work when I withdraw then please, feel free to!
Original post by befx
There’s sooo many questions like this on here but I can’t find the answers I’m looking for, or there’s five different answers and it still doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

Anyway, I’m looking at dropping out. I wouldn’t be able to do this until April (more than likely) because of my tenancy agreement and needing to pay all rent before I can leave it (unless I can find to replace me for it). Therefore, I was wondering about SFE repayments.

I know for tuition fees, I’ll be paying it all back if I leave even at the start of the third term, but I’m not sure about maintenance loans or the scholarship. If I spend a chunk of my maintenance loan on my rent, withdraw, and then return to them the remaining £££, would the rest of the cash be returned via the usual way of earning above the threshold? Same with the scholarship; if I’ve been awarded it, do I have to pay that back too? Or is that essentially my money? I’m not too sure how it all works.

If anyone wants to dumb it down how the repayments all work when I withdraw then please, feel free to!

For scholarships, you will need to contact the administrator of the scholarship to see if there are any consequences of withdrawing.

With regards to your maintenance loan, if you withdraw at the end of a term and just before your next maintenance instalment is due, then you won't be required to repay anything immediately. If you withdraw during a term, then some of that term's maintenance loan will be repayable immediately. The maintenance loan is calculated to cover term time and holidays so it would be a pro-rata deduction depending on your formal withdrawal date. The total value of the maintenance loan you have received by the time you withdraw, and the tuition fee loan paid to your uni, is repayable under the standard terms (commencing the April the year after you leave and if you are earning above the threshold).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending