The Student Room Group

Did I get ripped off?

So I applied for a flat on Open rent based on the advert which originally said rent was £1100 each month excluding bills and I went to a viewing and paid the landlord the holding deposit (one week's rent) which was £275, I am yet to sign a formal tenancy agreement with him and to move in, as he is still crafting the document and it won't be ready until next week.

The issue is I went back to Open rent and the advert for the same flat changed, it said it was still avaliable and the rent was reduced to £100 per month or £23 per week with a deposit of £115. I have heard stories of landlord reducing rents in certain circumstances but I was wondering had I been mugged off by him? Should I not sign and confront him saying he misled me. Legally I have a right to get a full refund since he did that, it is very cunning and sneaky of him.

Any advice would be appreciated (I am a first time tenant so go easy on me) Thanks.
Reply 1
The flat shouldn't still be on the market if you have paid a holding deposit and been accepted. The change in rent though appears to be an error, as it is not likely that a rent would be reduced to £100/month. I think someone has accidently changed this. You should approach him/the agency to see why it is still being advertised.
Reply 2
Original post by JohnB1
The flat shouldn't still be on the market if you have paid a holding deposit and been accepted. The change in rent though appears to be an error, as it is not likely that a rent would be reduced to £100/month. I think someone has accidently changed this. You should approach him/the agency to see why it is still being advertised.

I thought so unless he realised I was on DSS and that paying £1100 a month would be a bit tight. We will have to see when on the day I sign and look at the agreement what the real price is. I thought It wouldn't get it taken off unless it's been confirmed to be Let to me? Since I can still withdraw and pull out at the last second? Maybe. I will leave it for now until the day I sign up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending