The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Confused about the courses - Physics and Astronomy

St. Andrews is currently on my shortlist for a university to study Physics with Astronomy/Astrophysics. I have a few questions that, even though I have researched, I have not yet made sense of:

1) So because Scottish students spend 1 year less in school (finish at 17), most university courses are 1 year longer to make up for this? So the Scottish students will all be a year younger?

2) If I get a good A for Physics and Further Maths at A-Level how easy is it to straight into Level 2? What % do this?

3) Does it not put you/others off that studying 4 years at Scottish Unis gets you a Bachelor while 4 years in England gets you a Master? Are there any advantages of studying an extra year?

4) On the prospectus it mentions '3 subjects in the first year'...
On the Physics and Astronomy booklet it states 6 modules in the first year. It seems I can make 6 modules (Physics 1A + 1B, Intro. Maths, Maths, Astro + Astrophys, (+ 1 more, Maths IT or something). That counts as '3 subjects' right?
Direct Entry into the 2nd year would be just Physics/Astronomy modules, not anything else right?

I have read
FIRST AND SECOND LEVEL MODULES
IN THE
SCHOOL OF PHYSICS AND ASTRONOMY

but I don't feel some of it is all that clear.

Thanks very much for any advice given :smile:
Sorry if I've overlooked anything obvious.
Reply 1
Hi Shozora,

Hopefully I will be able to answer a few of these questions.

The majority of English / Welsh students do go straight into second year. For my A levels I took Maths, Further Maths and Physics and went into second year here. So provided you have at least Physics and Maths A level it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Regarding modules, I took Physics 2A along with MT1002 [Mathematics] and MT1008 [Mathematical IT]. But you could equally have taken Physics 2A, MT1002 and AS1001 [Astronomy] or if you don't fancy either MT1008 / AS1001 then you could take another module from another department. Then in second semester you will have to take Physics 2B along with MT2001.

The degrees here are a year longer but by going directly into second year you cut one year off so you will graduate with a Masters in the same time that it would take in an English university.

Hope that helps, any more questions don't hesitate to post!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Oooooohhh I havent answered a big one like this in a while, here it goes!
Shozora
St. Andrews is currently on my shortlist for a university to study Physics with Astronomy/Astrophysics. I have a few questions that, even though I have researched, I have not yet made sense of:

1) So because Scottish students spend 1 year less in school (finish at 17), most university courses are 1 year longer to make up for this? So the Scottish students will all be a year younger?

Some are but as St Andrews is such a prestigious Uni many Scottish applicants come here after doing advanced higher (sort of equivalent to A2) it is not a requirement at a Scottish uni but due to the demands of St Andrews many choose this route anyway to help with their application meaning they are 18 upon entry. Also many Scottish students do a gap year before going to uni as 17 is seen by many as being a bit too young to start at uni. There will be some Scottish students who come here at 17 in your year of entry, but age becomes meaningless really at uni, apart from the odd bit of trouble getting into bars there is no noticeable difference in maturity or work ethic to worry about

Shozora
2) If I get a good A for Physics and Further Maths at A-Level how easy is it to straight into Level 2? What % do this?

It is pretty easy as long as you get the required grades for second year entry. I have no idea on the percentages that do this but I would say that just because you get the grades dont expect it to be easy, more than what is studied at A-Level is covered in first year all of which is assumed knowledge in the second year. If you do choose to do second year entry this extra material can be caught up but it adds a considerable amount to your work load so it would require determination on your part in the first year which is why many people who can apply for second year entry choose not to (me for example) or why some people choose second year then drop back to first (this is a perfectly fine option if you decide to go for second year entry then decide its not right for you)

Shozora
3) Does it not put you/others off that studying 4 years at Scottish Unis gets you a Bachelor while 4 years in England gets you a Master? Are there any advantages of studying an extra year?

It didnt put me off, it actually attracted me to a Scottish uni. In the rest of the UK your degree is pretty much fixed from the moment you arrive, if you choose physics for example it is very difficult to then come out with a degree in French, especially if you have little experience of it in the past. However the extra year at a Sottish Uni means you have a greater degree of flexability, you actually apply to a faculty, not a subject, which can be easily changed if you decide the faculty you applied for is not right for you. You can study up to any 3 subjects in your first year (which I will go into with your next question) any of which you could end up with a degree even if it was not what you applied for if you feel its right for you where as at an English uni from year 1 you focus pretty much only what you applied for due to the time constraints. This flexibility which in my opinion is a much better way of offering a degree which will eventually change your life, is what attracts A LOT of non Scottish people to Scottish unis, but as you say its whether or not you are prepared to accept the only downside of having to study for 1 extra year.

Shozora
4) On the prospectus it mentions '3 subjects in the first year'...
On the Physics and Astronomy booklet it states 6 modules in the first year. It seems I can make 6 modules (Physics 1A + 1B, Intro. Maths, Maths, Astro + Astrophys, (+ 1 more, Maths IT or something). That counts as '3 subjects' right?
Direct Entry into the 2nd year would be just Physics/Astronomy modules, not anything else right?
I have read
FIRST AND SECOND LEVEL MODULES
IN THE
SCHOOL OF PHYSICS AND ASTRONOMY

but I don't feel some of it is all that clear.

Thanks very much for any advice given :smile:
Sorry if I've overlooked anything obvious.

The way it works is in a credit system, all modules have an associated amount of credits and in the first year you usually do a total of 120 credits worth of modules (usually 60 per semester). Most first year subjects in the faculty of science are 20 credits each and most subjects have 2 required modules per year to allow you to continue onto second year modules. This means that in the first year yes you could do the required 40 credits of Physics, and 80 credits in any other subjects (though its a good idea to do all required modules in any other subject in case you decide to change) in most cases this means that you could do 40 credits of required modules in up to 3 subjects in the first year.

Direct entry reduces your choices significantly as second year science modules are usually 30 credits due to the work load, but you can usually still do 1 other subject along side it, it would be very much dependent on how second year entry in the physics department works (which as a chemist I dont know much about sorry!)

I hope that answers all your questions, if you have any other questions dont be afraid to ask.
(1) the Scottish students won't all be a year younger. I've only met a handful of people here who didn't do 6th year [making them 16 or 17 when they start], there are a lot who are 18 when they start. I'm old for my school year, and turned 19 in the second semester of my first year being here.
Bear in mind that there are lots of people who take a year out or aren't Scottish [or both].

(2) If you A's in your Maths and Physics courses, doing direct entry shouldn't be a problem. About a third of people do direct entry, although that might not be quite the right fraction. The point is, a lot of people do it, you're not weird if you do it, and the university's very aware that you don't have a first year behind you already.

(3) My academic dad sings praises of how good first year was, and repeatedly encouraged me to not do direct entry. I liked direct entry anyway. However, doing 5 years probably gives you more opportunities to do interesting wee modules, and it would give you an easier lead into university life. The direct entry option was partially created [I think] to give a similar course to what English universities offer.

(4) The subjects you outlined would probably be fine, yes. The typical modules for direct entry to physics/astro are:
First semester
2nd level physics (30 credits)
1st level maths (20)
1st level astronomy (20)
Second semester
2nd level physics (30)
2nd level maths (30).
However, some people do some second level maths in the first semester, as well as the 1st level astronomy. You have to do maths stuff for 1st and 2nd level because it's so crucial for physics later on, but the maths lecturers are generally very aware that they're not lecturing a room filled with maths students, and I think that in MT2001 this year, they've got a handout on how thermodynamical stuff lead to fourier series [or something. I didn't get to read it]. From 3rd level, I think the maths you need is contained in physics modules, or maths modules specifically for physicists.
The other point with direct entry is that your astronomy modules would be as if you'd done first year entry. I don't think this restricts you, and they're very flexible later on with what year you do which modules. If you're only there for 4 years, you still get to do 5th level modules.

Another note on direct entry is that they'll give you some credits to make up the number required to graduate [or whatever]. So you don't need to worry about not getting credits from first year.

From what you've said, you'd be more than capable of direct entry. If you're doing further maths, then don't do maths and intro maths in first year. I did AH maths and didn't do any 1st level maths courses.

Sorry for the lack of structure =)

Edit: gosh, there were no replies when I started replying...
Reply 4
ImperceptibleNinja
Edit: gosh, there were no replies when I started replying...

Same when I started! amazing how you can get carried away and write a mini essay without thinking when it could have been answered much more simply :biggrin:
ImperceptibleNinja

I did AH maths and didn't do any 1st level maths courses.

Did you do MT2001 in first semester last year then? I thought MT1002 was a prerequisite for all the second level maths courses??
MT1002 is indeed a prerequisite, but there are several people I know of who jumped straight into 2nd level Maths. Last year, in total ridiculous weirdness, I did:
Semester 1:
MT2002
PH2012
Semester 2:
PH2012
MT2001
MT2005

I think you're supposed to have MT1002 if you want to graduate in Maths, but Dr Bell says it's fine, so... yeah. :rolleyes: I'm not the only one who hasn't got it.

Steeeeevo
Same when I started! amazing how you can get carried away and write a mini essay without thinking when it could have been answered much more simply
Indeed! Who says science students can't do essays?! :biggrin:

OP, sorry for all the module codes getting thrown about. MT means 'maths', PH means 'physics', AS means 'astronomy'. The first digit of the number is the level of the module, and the last 3 digits specify which module it is. I don't understand the logic behind the last 3 digits.
Shall just make a point about scottish students being 17. Most aren't actually when they start uni. See, the cutoff points for when you enter lil old promary school are different. I believe in england the age cut offs run from august to august? Well, here it's february to february. So any scottish student who leaves at the end of sixth year (leaving at the end of fith year is pointless... you heard!) can only really be 17 for a total of about six months before they turn 18. Ta da?!

Im one of the example... Mon november though! legal legal! woohoo woohoo!!

-is too excited-

Damn. D:
Reply 8
TSR meetup for your birthday? Seeing as I wasn't allowed in the pub as was three days underage :frown:. Am ok now though, hehe.
xD I wish!
Reply 10
Wow, that's a huuuge help - many thanks to all :smile:
Thats good :smile: perhaps i shall see you next year then in the physics department? especially if you enter second year :smile: I'll be the girl snoozing...

This is a random tangent, and may be quite lengthly - but i've seen alot of people comment on the fact that students from scotland leave school early. Some of them make me laugh. "does that mean the scottish students are less mature?"

Does anyone else find it amusing that there seems to be a stigma these days that once you reach a certain age there's some kind of switch in your head that's labeled "maximum maturity" and is only turned on on the day of your 18th birthday? i find it quite amusing. Same with these "don't look 21/25?" What exactly is the criteria for "looking" 21 or 25?

"Ah yes.... Shows sign of hassle... depression.... crease in brow... grey hairs... must be 25...."

I mean, i know plenty of people (especially since coming to st andrews) that are in there 20s and i didn't realise they were in their 20's until they told me. they look no different to the 17/18 year olds i've been hanging around with for the past year.

It's silly - if you ask me.

And that's my rant.
Hi lads and ladies (or should i say lasses?!)

Im in exactly the same position as Shamozora, so thanks for clearing those bits up. Ive still got a few questions though.

Im thinking of doing the direct entry because doing 4 years for a BSc when i can do it in 3 here in England seems pointless, and im pretty sure im not going to be wanting to change to a Cookery degree half way though!

My teachers rekon im on for 3 As at A level (Physics, Maths, Chemistry). How well prepared would i be to do direct entry? Im not one of those further maths mini Einsteins, i think that the Physics A level (here at least) doesnt go anyway far enough to prepare us for Uni (we were doing "momentum = mass x velocity" last week for gods sake!), and i love CGP as if it were one of my family!

However i am fairly hard working and interested in the stuff. So, would i be a possibility for second year entry?

Another question, how much practical work is there? I prefer the theory and ideas, and as Shozora will tell you, were not exactly the most practical people *cough* failed aspirin synthesis *cough* contaminating 5 litres of chemical *cough*

As a general question, whats St Andrews like? Is there anything to do? Whats the weather like?

Thanks for the help
Ahh more questions! (Thread hijacker altert!)

So, if i go straight into the second year i miss out the bit about the 3 subjects in the first year, correct?

So id start and just do all physics / astrophysics modules?

Thanks

EDIT: And another one...

Ive heard its better to apply on your PS for the 4 year Master degrees even if you want to do the 3 year BSc degrees because its easier to change from 4 year to 3 year, than 3 year to 4 year, and in case you change your mind. Is that right?
I'd say if you want to do direct entry, you'd need to be fairly in touch with the majority of what you learn in the last couple of years of school. I can't comment on the content of English courses, but what I did in 5th and 6th year of Maths and Physics at school was really worth remembering.
Usually, in all the modules here, the first week or so is a blast of tying together stuff you've learnt already so that it's more accessible to you for the rest of the module; however, if you struggled with it the first time around, or forgot it all, then doing first year would hold more benefits.
If you're fairly hard working and interested in it all, the direct entry would probably be a suitable option, provided you're willing to continue putting effort into learning.
Most direct entry students have A in AH or A-level Maths and Physics. I'd say that's a reasonable expectation for the university to make.

Practical work - I don't know about first year, but in 2nd level physics you have 1 lab session (2.5 hrs) per week, and you have a lab book that needs to be kept so that, should one wish to, one could write up a report on the experiments. If you do any variation on Theoretical Physics, then from 3rd year labs aren't compulsory, and I think there are lab modules for those who need/want to do them.
Second level labs...
First semester:
Either [(one 3 week lab, which you can choose)or(three 1-week labs, with no choices, for direct entry students)] then a 3-week lab.
Second semester:
I think you do another 3-week lab, then a 6-week electronics lab.
The practical stuff can be very enjoyable and insightful if you get into it, although at the time it doesn't always feel so fun. You have 23.5 hours in which to get the lab book presentable [graphs, intelligent comments, ideas, etc] and handed in, else you get marks off for it being late.
How you do in labs also contributes to your final grade.
They're be PhD students and stuff around to help if anything goes pear-shaped, and they tend to keep an eye on things so you don't freeze your feet off with LN2.

St Andrews has lots of nice bars and pubs, and there are hundreds of societies to get involved with - Dundee is also acessible for most things that St A's doesn't have. [e.g. Primark :p:].
The weather here is typically chilly but dry, and usually breezy, if not windy. I get surprised if it's raining here.

And back to direct entry... You don't *have* to do astro modules, but maths is essential, and you would have to do some, as well as physics. If you weren't into astro, you could do a chemistry module, or theology, or... whatever.

Edit: Regarding the edit... basically, yes, I'd do that. It's also a lot easier if you're getting a loan of any kind.

Latest

Trending

Trending