The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gamererz
I'm personally fairly nervous- despite not doing too badly in my exams. Out of the mocks I have done, my scores were as follows:

First Mocks:
Paper 1: 66 marks
Paper 2: 67 marks
Total: 133 marks

Second Mocks:
Paper 1: 63 marks
Paper 2: 70 marks
Total: 133 marks

Third Mocks:
Paper 1: 77 marks
Paper 2: 71 marks
Total: 148 marks

I think I'll be looking at 7 - 8 in my grades...

If you could do similar to the third mock, I would say you'd be getting an 8.
Original post by the_nshoesmith
If you could do similar to the third mock, I would say you'd be getting an 8.

Hopefully! I'm definitely looking for 70+ on both. For the record, Mock 1 was in December 2016; Mock 2 was in March 2017; and Mock 3 was in May 2017.
Original post by gamererz
Hopefully! I'm definitely looking for 70+ on both. For the record, Mock 1 was in December 2016; Mock 2 was in March 2017; and Mock 3 was in May 2017.

Okay - good luck!
Does anyone have access to the Paper 1 Mock 2 papers? The highest I have gotten for the Paper 1's is 34 so I'm really worried.
Original post by Studygirl2001
Does anyone have access to the Paper 1 Mock 2 papers? The highest I have gotten for the Paper 1's is 34 so I'm really worried.

Do you know specifically where you're losing marks - Section A or B? Or is there anything, in particular, you're needing help on?
Do you know specifically where you're losing marks - Section A or B? Or is there anything, in particular, you're needing help on?

I struggle with both Section A and B, but I feel like Section B is my weakest cause my teacher says my answers lack subject terminology and the writer's purpose for the certain effect. For Section B my teacher says I should plan my answers but I already struggle with timings and barely had enough time to finish my answers let alone plan.
Before sitting the exam, here's my estimates;

1 - 13
2 - 24
3 - 39
4 - 66
5 - 82
6 - 102
7 - 121
8 - 139
9 - 148

Thoughts?

your predictions seem quite high tbh i'm thinking 132 for an 8?
I got 63 and 65 in my mocks and I got a 6 soo
I struggle with both Section A and B, but I feel like Section B is my weakest cause my teacher says my answers lack subject terminology and the writer's purpose for the certain effect. For Section B my teacher says I should plan my answers but I already struggle with timings and barely had enough time to finish my answers let alone plan.

I'd say Section B is the easier place to pick up more marks. You should leave 45 minutes and around about for Section B. Do you usually choose the narrative or descriptive option?

For narrative, it doesn't have to be of huge length. I got 30/40 in a mock doing just 2 pages. For the narrative, it can be useful to have ideas prepared that you can adapt around a question.

i.e. question about scary experience - airport, confined spaces etc for example
Original post by bethany47341

plus, my teacher said she thinks that the grade boundaries were low so we probably would have gotten lower grades than what we were given

Is that 65 on paper 2? I would have thought that would have been a 7
Is that 65 on paper 2? I would have thought that would have been a 7

oh no sorry it was supposed to be the other way round, but either way if I got 128 in total I would've thought I'd have got higher than a 6 tbh
plus, my teacher said she thinks that the grade boundaries were low so we probably would have gotten lower grades than what we were given

Blimey - do you know where those boundaries came from?

On the old spec, 71% was an A grade, therefore I can't see how 78% is a 6(B), seeing as new spec is meant to be harder.
Blimey - do you know where those boundaries came from?

On the old spec, 71% was an A grade, therefore I can't see how 78% is a 6(B), seeing as new spec is meant to be harder.

exactly! and I'm not too sure, but I think it was what my school predicted
I'd say Section B is the easier place to pick up more marks. You should leave 45 minutes and around about for Section B. Do you usually choose the narrative or descriptive option?

For narrative, it doesn't have to be of huge length. I got 30/40 in a mock doing just 2 pages. For the narrative, it can be useful to have ideas prepared that you can adapt around a question.

i.e. question about scary experience - airport, confined spaces etc for example

I usually choose the descriptive option as I find it difficult to come up with ideas under pressure for a narrative story. Do you think I should start from the back of the exam paper from Question 5 then Question 1-4 for timing? I feel like I overdo Section A and then neglect Section B due to lack of time. Do you mean 2 pages as in 2 whole pages or 2 sides? I feel like I would take up a whole hour writing 2 pages of solid description.
Original post by help.2017
your predictions seem quite high tbh i'm thinking 132 for an 8?

They're just my best estimates at the current stage. Just seen very similar boundaries here which would suggest you would need 136 for a grade 8.
9 - 150
8 - 136
7 - 118
6 - 100
5- 86

Very similar to my predictions, although some schools are predicting them miles higher. Just have to wait and see...
You just need to know:
>Timings for each questions, which AO's you should use, how many points, what the question asks of you... etc (I can share my notes but you can just watch Mr Bruff on youtube)

Also I dont really recommend starting from the back, they've been put in that order for a reason and section b will be related to section a. However if thats what works for you go ahead.

I got a 7 in my mock.
They're just my best estimates at the current stage. Just seen very similar boundaries here which would suggest you would need 136 for a grade 8.
9 - 150
8 - 136
7 - 118
6 - 100
5- 86

Very similar to my predictions, although some schools are predicting them miles higher. Just have to wait and see...

Yeah guessing game really, my school predicting a bit lower then I guess.
and Pixl company predicting very low they think 130 could possibly be a 9 but not sure that is correct.
I usually choose the descriptive option as I find it difficult to come up with ideas under pressure for a narrative story. Do you think I should start from the back of the exam paper from Question 5 then Question 1-4 for timing? I feel like I overdo Section A and then neglect Section B due to lack of time. Do you mean 2 pages as in 2 whole pages or 2 sides? I feel like I would take up a whole hour writing 2 pages of solid description.

I usually do this paper front to back, but if you are struggling on timings, there would be no harm in doing q5 and then going back to q1. I've attached an overview with approximate timings which might help.

I mean 2 pages as given to you by AQA in the exam - so really that's not much at all as they have big borders around the lines.
Original post by Faloodeh
You just need to know:
>Timings for each questions, which AO's you should use, how many points, what the question asks of you... etc (I can share my notes but you can just watch Mr Bruff on youtube)

Also I dont really recommend starting from the back, they've been put in that order for a reason and section b will be related to section a. However if thats what works for you go ahead.

I got a 7 in my mock.

What marks did you get a 7 on the basis of?

Latest

Trending

Trending