The Student Room Group

Studying medicine or physiotherapy with a police warning (caution)

When i was 18 i received a police caution after being involved in a completely out of character drunken dispute. the caution was battery. How will this effect my chances of getting into uni as per the DBS checks and selection process. any advice as to how to proceed.

Thankyou
Original post by jackphysio999
When i was 18 i received a police caution after being involved in a completely out of character drunken dispute. the caution was battery. How will this effect my chances of getting into uni as per the DBS checks and selection process. any advice as to how to proceed.

Thankyou

You will have to declare it and then it will go before a panel and a hearing. You will be allowed to put your side in person or in writing. they will consider what you have written and the nature of the offence..They will then decide how this affects your suitability and the application overall.

It is common for people to get cautions and to proceed ok.
This was battery which is a bit more serious, but it doesnt appear to have one to court. You can only put in your application and see.

You need to explain the error of your ways, your understanding of the need to be responsible and show enough contrition to convince them you have learned from the experience and its unlikely to happen again.

You will have the same hurdles to overcome with your professional body.
Original post by 999tigger
You will have to declare it and then it will go before a panel and a hearing. You will be allowed to put your side in person or in writing. they will consider what you have written and the nature of the offence..They will then decide how this affects your suitability and the application overall.

It is common for people to get cautions and to proceed ok.
This was battery which is a bit more serious, but it doesnt appear to have one to court. You can only put in your application and see.

You need to explain the error of your ways, your understanding of the need to be responsible and show enough contrition to convince them you have learned from the experience and its unlikely to happen again.

You will have the same hurdles to overcome with your professional body.

Is this something i should declare before applying or once an offer has been given
Original post by jackphysio999
Is this something i should declare before applying or once an offer has been given

They are likely to ask (cant remember if its in the UCAS form), but medicine and Physio will involve working with vulnerable people so it requires a DBS check and ofc it will show. Probably an enhanced, so even if spent it will show i.e do not attempt to hide as it wont work.

Declare it in form and if invited for an interview make the course organiser aware so you are being up front. I suspect an offer will only be given after they consider your DBS. These are common though and thats why they have a panel to hear everyone elses claim as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending