The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ollie
Sorry about the server problems guys. It is due to 2 factors...

1. Sheer volume of traffic due to the results last Thursday and this Thursday. We get this problem every year and d and m are looking to fix it.

2. As you know d is planning big changes to UKL and these changes have already started behind the scenes. Added to scheduled maintence, we have another drain on the server.

Sorry guys, not sure how long UKL will be a little slow but thanks for hanging around.

So dazya hasn't done any DoSing recently, like last night?
kriztinae

i know this is kinda harsh... but cant d or m stop the guests from using the site? just for the time being til it gets fixed etc.
or they can only get a certain time allowed to use it etc
bit selfish?

It's possible to require everyone to log in before they can access the site which would help emensely, but then you might have trouble getting people to join. There are two sides of the coin. They might join just to see it, or they might decide not to come back because they can't see it.
Mr Moncal

It's possible to require everyone to log in before they can access the site which would help emensely, but then you might have trouble getting people to join. There are two sides of the coin. They might join just to see it, or they might decide not to come back because they can't see it.

make it so u have 2 be a member to view certain areas e.g general chat. that way ppl cna see the site and keep traffic down
Reply 22
andrew2022
make it so u have 2 be a member to view certain areas e.g general chat. that way ppl cna see the site and keep traffic down

I don't think that too many of the guests are preoccupied with reading GC. If I was going to lurk reading GC, I would join.
habosh
bless you :biggrin:

hehehehe, :wink:
Mr Moncal
I don't think that too many of the guests are preoccupied with reading GC. If I was going to lurk reading GC, I would join.

I wouldn't I don't think.

Thanks for the information, Ollie. :smile:
Reply 25
Mr Moncal
So dazya hasn't done any DoSing recently, like last night?.

No, it WAS dazya last night :frown: i was in full flow as well *cries*
Mr Moncal

yes but it could only be temporarily.
until the server problems are fixed..
Reply 27
Mr Moncal

Whatever he claims to have done, m informs me that nothing has happened at his end. His 'DoS' seem to be all talk. He's taking advantage of the scheduled maintence to claim its his doing. The reasons for the server problems are listed above exclusively.
Ollie
Whatever he claims to have done, m informs me that nothing has happened at his end. His 'DoS' seem to be all talk. He's taking advantage of the scheduled maintence to claim its his doing. The reasons for the server problems are listed above exclusively.

Hehe so everything finsihed now?
Reply 29
Is it due to the amount of members>?>?>?>?
in that case then delte al the membersips that have not been active for so long,
but i am no expert, i dont know :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Unused membership accounts aren't causing the problem. And no administrator would ever mass delete accounts.
Reply 31
Mr Moncal
Unused membership accounts aren't causing the problem. And no administrator would ever mass delete accounts.

just wondering
Ollie
Sorry about the server problems guys. It is due to 2 factors...

1. Sheer volume of traffic due to the results last Thursday and this Thursday. We get this problem every year and d and m are looking to fix it.

2. As you know d is planning big changes to UKL and these changes have already started behind the scenes. Added to scheduled maintence, we have another drain on the server.

Sorry guys, not sure how long UKL will be a little slow but thanks for hanging around.

apology accepted.
Couldn't you reduce the load on the server (quite significantly, I would have thought) by getting rid of the 'similar threads'?

Latest

Trending

Trending