Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Apologies For The Server Problems watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Sorry about the server problems guys. It is due to 2 factors...

1. Sheer volume of traffic due to the results last Thursday and this Thursday. We get this problem every year and d and m are looking to fix it.

2. As you know d is planning big changes to UKL and these changes have already started behind the scenes. Added to scheduled maintence, we have another drain on the server.

Sorry guys, not sure how long UKL will be a little slow but thanks for hanging around.
    So dazya hasn't done any DoSing recently, like last night?
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    i know this is kinda harsh... but cant d or m stop the guests from using the site? just for the time being til it gets fixed etc.
    or they can only get a certain time allowed to use it etc
    bit selfish?
    It's possible to require everyone to log in before they can access the site which would help emensely, but then you might have trouble getting people to join. There are two sides of the coin. They might join just to see it, or they might decide not to come back because they can't see it.

(Original post by Mr Moncal)
    It's possible to require everyone to log in before they can access the site which would help emensely, but then you might have trouble getting people to join. There are two sides of the coin. They might join just to see it, or they might decide not to come back because they can't see it.
    make it so u have 2 be a member to view certain areas e.g general chat. that way ppl cna see the site and keep traffic down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    make it so u have 2 be a member to view certain areas e.g general chat. that way ppl cna see the site and keep traffic down
    I don't think that too many of the guests are preoccupied with reading GC. If I was going to lurk reading GC, I would join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    bless you

hehehehe,

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that too many of the guests are preoccupied with reading GC. If I was going to lurk reading GC, I would join.
    I wouldn't I don't think.

Thanks for the information, Ollie.

ReputationRep:
    So dazya hasn't done any DoSing recently, like last night?.
    No, it WAS dazya last night i was in full flow as well *cries*

ReputationRep:

yes but it could only be temporarily.
    until the server problems are fixed..

ReputationRep:
    Whatever he claims to have done, m informs me that nothing has happened at his end. His 'DoS' seem to be all talk. He's taking advantage of the scheduled maintence to claim its his doing. The reasons for the server problems are listed above exclusively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Whatever he claims to have done, m informs me that nothing has happened at his end. His 'DoS' seem to be all talk. He's taking advantage of the scheduled maintence to claim its his doing. The reasons for the server problems are listed above exclusively.
    Hehe so everything finsihed now?

ReputationRep:
    Is it due to the amount of members>?>?>?>?
    in that case then delte al the membersips that have not been active for so long,
    but i am no expert, i dont know :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Unused membership accounts aren't causing the problem. And no administrator would ever mass delete accounts.

ReputationRep:
    Unused membership accounts aren't causing the problem. And no administrator would ever mass delete accounts.
    just wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Sorry about the server problems guys. It is due to 2 factors...

1. Sheer volume of traffic due to the results last Thursday and this Thursday. We get this problem every year and d and m are looking to fix it.

2. As you know d is planning big changes to UKL and these changes have already started behind the scenes. Added to scheduled maintence, we have another drain on the server.

Sorry guys, not sure how long UKL will be a little slow but thanks for hanging around.
    apology accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you reduce the load on the server (quite significantly, I would have thought) by getting rid of the 'similar threads'?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.