The Student Room Group

Hospital Work Experience

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SaraS786
Thankfully haha
your teachers at gcse should have done more for your controlled assessments :/

Yeah. All they said was you need to write an aim, blah, and blah. They didn't say what to put in each section, just the title of each section :frown:
Original post by Kyx
Yeah. All they said was you need to write an aim, blah, and blah. They didn't say what to put in each section, just the title of each section :frown:

sad :frown:
but its ok, that time is gone now :smile:
Reply 62
sad :frown:
but its ok, that time is gone now :smile:

Yes :angry:

But it would have been so much easier to get into a uni and sixth form :angry:

:frown:

If I could go back in time I would :frown:
Reply 63
yeah thats true :frown:
yep same here, i would go back in time too and redo some of the exams :/
but hey, its ok its finished and we can't do anything about it. hopefully everything will turn out good :biggrin:

Yeah, but with the knowledge I have now, instead of having 11.5 A*-E, I'd have 11.5 A* :frown:
Original post by Kyx
Yeah, but with the knowledge I have now, instead of having 11.5 A*-E, I'd have 11.5 A* :frown:

hmm i can understand :frown:
but, look to the future. it's going to be seriously good. you will be going uni fulfilling your 5 year old self's goal haha :biggrin: and when you're finished you won't even remember gcses after it has got you to where you wanted to be (hopefully) (even though it would have made the process very difficult!)
Reply 65
hmm i can understand :frown:
but, look to the future. it's going to be seriously good. you will be going uni fulfilling your 5 year old self's goal haha :biggrin: and when you're finished you won't even remember gcses after it has got you to where you wanted to be (hopefully) (even though it would have made the process very difficult!)

Yeah :smile:

When I'm a university lecturer and TV presenter I wouldn't give a **** :biggrin:
Original post by Kyx
Yeah :smile:

When I'm a university lecturer and TV presenter I wouldn't give a **** :biggrin:

of course
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 67
haha of course :biggrin:

:biggrin::h:
Reply 68
just curious, what's your website to do with? :rolleyes:

It's a rival to TSR :redface:

Anyway, like my signature? :biggrin:
Original post by Kyx
It's a rival to TSR :redface:

Anyway, like my signature? :biggrin:

ohhh cool!

i can't even see your signature haha its not even there
Reply 70
hahaha editing skills are impressive! yeah i like your signature!
i will register to your website :biggrin:

(It wasn't me who edited the picture, it was @Quamquam123 of the TSR Labour Party :redface:)
Original post by Kyx

(It wasn't me who edited the picture, it was @Quamquam123 of the TSR Labour Party :redface:)

ahh ok, still cool
Reply 72
ahh ok, still cool

Original post by Kyx

:smile:
Reply 74
hahaha
ahhh :/
yep im checking it out, even posted on the count to a million hehe :biggrin:

Yeah I know hehehe :biggrin:

I saw

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took a work experience in Cardiology, it was very interesting to see some of the works of a doctor by shadowing them. We had 1 senior consultant and 2 junior doctors along with 2 medical students and 2 from sixth form, in a group for a few consecutive days. The afternoon was spent in outpatient where specific cases were discussed. It helped of course, to understand some specifics such as the cardiovascular examination of patients, ECGs and echocardiography, you also get a chance to talk to a consultant about their work, so if you have some questions/doubts you can definitely clear them up. The experience was definitely helpful and I recommend going cardiology, other than the severe cases it was quite a good way to step up my ideas about doctors in general.
Original post by apixytm
I took a work experience in Cardiology, it was very interesting to see some of the works of a doctor by shadowing them. We had 1 senior consultant and 2 junior doctors along with 2 medical students and 2 from sixth form, in a group for a few consecutive days. The afternoon was spent in outpatient where specific cases were discussed. It helped of course, to understand some specifics such as the cardiovascular examination of patients, ECGs and echocardiography, you also get a chance to talk to a consultant about their work, so if you have some questions/doubts you can definitely clear them up. The experience was definitely helpful and I recommend going cardiology, other than the severe cases it was quite a good way to step up my ideas about doctors in general.

Thanks for sharing your experience :smile:
Yep, it seems like I'll go with cardiology as people who did it seemed to enjoy it and found it interesting.
I was wondering if you could share any questions that would be good to ask? And also, would I need a lot of knowledge about cardiology before I start any placement there?
Thanks for sharing your experience :smile:
Yep, it seems like I'll go with cardiology as people who did it seemed to enjoy it and found it interesting.
I was wondering if you could share any questions that would be good to ask? And also, would I need a lot of knowledge about cardiology before I start any placement there?

You needn't any knowledge about cardiology, the doctors will not have time to explain things but on the plus side if you get paired with medical students, in most cases you will, they will help explain things the doctors are doing.

At the end of work experience we got a chance to talk with the consultant that we followed. You can ask some of the questions I asked:

How many hours do you work in a typical day/week?

What kinds of problems do you deal with on a daily basis?

How much of your time do you spending doing paperwork at work/home?

What part of being a Cardiologist do you find most challenging?

What kind of future do you vision for NHS and particularly the career of Cardiologists (at the time you will graduate)?

What type of qualities should a doctor have to be successful at work?

When asking these if you find anything difficult to understand make sure to ask them to clarify, because the whole point of the work experience is to know more about the working life of a doctor from firsthand perspective.
hope I helped
Original post by apixytm
You needn't any knowledge about cardiology, the doctors will not have time to explain things but on the plus side if you get paired with medical students, in most cases you will, they will help explain things the doctors are doing.

At the end of work experience we got a chance to talk with the consultant that we followed. You can ask some of the questions I asked:

How many hours do you work in a typical day/week?

What kinds of problems do you deal with on a daily basis?

How much of your time do you spending doing paperwork at work/home?

What part of being a Cardiologist do you find most challenging?

What kind of future do you vision for NHS and particularly the career of Cardiologists (at the time you will graduate)?

What type of qualities should a doctor have to be successful at work?

When asking these if you find anything difficult to understand make sure to ask them to clarify, because the whole point of the work experience is to know more about the working life of a doctor from firsthand perspective.
hope I helped

Ahh alright, those are some excellent questions to ask, many of which I hadn't even thought of! Thanks for sharing these and for giving helpful advice :smile:
Ahh alright, those are some excellent questions to ask, many of which I hadn't even thought of! Thanks for sharing these and for giving helpful advice :smile:

No problem, GL with your work experience, hope it goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending