The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Summer Reading

Hi, I am planning on starting my joint degree in economics and philosophy at Cardiff University this September (2017). Does anyone know if there are any suggested books to read before attending? Or does anyone have any personal recommendations relevant to my area of study? Thanks.
Original post by Rosiex179
Hi, I am planning on starting my joint degree in economics and philosophy at Cardiff University this September (2017). Does anyone know if there are any suggested books to read before attending? Or does anyone have any personal recommendations relevant to my area of study? Thanks.

Plato's The Republic.
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx.
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
Two Treatises of Government by John Locke
Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes
Discourse on Inequality by Jean-Jacques Rosseau.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by Rosiex179

The person who recommended you read wealth of nations is stupid it's a massive book which you probably won't read until the second year of your degree. Start with something easy and interesting (like freakonomics) x
Also Karl Marx's manifesto is absolutely tiny the information about the book is longer than the book itself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending