The Student Room Group

How likely am I to be offered a place at university when I do not have a clean DBS?

I am preparing to apply at university and so have found my self researching about entry requirements etc.; when I came across the section labelled DBS checks. When joining college in September I had an enhanced DBS check and an offence from my past (2011) appeared, the offence is "Theft with intent to steal- dwelling". This wasn't put in either barred list for both adults or children but from research I have found that this is a crime that will never be removed. I would like to know early on so I can prepare my self if this is something that will heavily impact my career plans of becoming a midwife as I am becoming increasingly worried that I will not be able to fulfil my future as I have always wished. Is there any way a university will still offer me a place or am I likely to lose opportunities due to this mistake from my past? Thank you so much, any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by dreamtobemidwife
I am preparing to apply at university and so have found my self researching about entry requirements etc.; when I came across the section labelled DBS checks. When joining college in September I had an enhanced DBS check and an offence from my past (2011) appeared, the offence is "Theft with intent to steal- dwelling". This wasn't put in either barred list for both adults or children but from research I have found that this is a crime that will never be removed. I would like to know early on so I can prepare my self if this is something that will heavily impact my career plans of becoming a midwife as I am becoming increasingly worried that I will not be able to fulfil my future as I have always wished. Is there any way a university will still offer me a place or am I likely to lose opportunities due to this mistake from my past? Thank you so much, any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

neither I or anyone I know had their records checked during the UCAS application process but I'm not sure if you have to go out of your way and declare it. If not, you will most likely get away with it

edit: just noticed this was in the midwife forum my bad;; unfortunately looks like you will have to go through a check. This is from the UoM website: 'All offers of a place will be subject to confirmation of residence status, a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and satisfactory compulsory health clearance'. It's probably considered case by case and since your theft doesn't really impact on your ability to do this particular job I would presume they will let you in
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by addingishard
neither I or anyone I know had their records checked during the UCAS application process but I'm not sure if you have to go out of your way and declare it. If not, you will most likely get away with it

When it comes to UCAS they probably would not check, but it is a possibility at a later stage that NHS may do. The problem with what appears to be an offence of burglary is that it is one of dishonesty offences, and dishonesty is treated with excess caution in any medical profession. But I feel like the OP should give it a go, for I believe they have some discretion in deciding how to deal with him/her.

Note: not declaring it as requested will only exacerbate the dishonesty bit, so it may be better for the OP to do as they request.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BIGJohnson777
When it comes to UCAS they probably would not check, but it is a possibility at a later stage that NHS may do. The problem with what appears to be an offence of burglary is that it is one of dishonesty offences, and dishonesty is treated with excess caution in any medical profession. But I feel like the OP should give it a go, for I believe they have some discretion in deciding how to deal with him/her.

Yeah mb didn't realise what forum I was in, just clicked on latest discussions. I edited it but still it's hard to say when it's ultimately up to the admissions department and I don't know how serious the crime is. I thought it would be more of a problem if the crime was related to people rather than property
I was 11 years old when this crime took place and it defintiley changed everything for me, it was a huge learning curve and I can 100% say I am much better person today and would never do anything like that again or even close. All my friends reassure me and say how they can see Ive changed and would never do that again but obviously the panel (which I have read I will have to explain my DBS to) do not know me and will judge me off the crime. This scares me so much because midwifery is literally the only career I have ever wanted and I would hate for a huge mistake when I was 11 to destroy this for me. It is a crime though that can never be removed from a DBS which is why I am getting worried that they will see this as something really bad and not offer me a place.
Original post by BIGJohnson777

Note: not declaring it as requested will only exacerbate the dishonesty bit, so it may be better for the OP to do as they request.

I am more than happy to declare this and would not hide this at all as I have come to terms to having to pay for my mistakes and admit to those even though it's a horrible subject. As it is a dishonesty offence do you think this would really decrease my chances of being able to study midwifery at univeristy as i would have to complete plaement within the NHS? and the NHS is also where I am aiming for my career to lead me.
Original post by addingishard
Yeah mb didn't realise what forum I was in, just clicked on latest discussions. I edited it but still it's hard to say when it's ultimately up to the admissions department and I don't know how serious the crime is. I thought it would be more of a problem if the crime was related to people rather than property

On my enhanced DBS check from college the offence did not arise on either barred lists to work with either children or adults but I am worried as the crime is seen as so serious it will never be wiped from DBS that they will see this as i am not suitable to work within the NHS.
I am more than happy to declare this and would not hide this at all as I have come to terms to having to pay for my mistakes and admit to those even though it's a horrible subject. As it is a dishonesty offence do you think this would really decrease my chances of being able to study midwifery at univeristy as i would have to complete plaement within the NHS? and the NHS is also where I am aiming for my career to lead me.

I honestly think that whoever will be making a decision as to your admission will have a good amount of discretion in doing so. You seem to have a right attitude in that you will not try and conceal it, so you will just have to convince the decision-maker that the lesson has been learned; that you did not appreciate the full scope of things at the time; and that what had happened was an obvious anomaly which should not detract from your true good character which can be emphasised if you hold or held some position of responsibility as well as the fact that it was an isolated incident. Hope it goes well for you, no one can claim that they never made a mistake.

Also, give the admissions a call and explain your situation just to see their attitudes, some universities may be stricter than others and you don't want to waste your offers by applying somewhere where their answer would be a resounding 'no'.
(edited 6 years ago)

Hi, I should be starting my nursing degree in September so I have been through the application process for studying a healthcare degree that will require a DBS.

You would declare the offence from the very start, this will include in your UCAS application, they may also ask you again at interview stage, again you declare it and provide as much information as possible. Apparently the universities take it on a case by case basis and unfortunately they may withdraw an offer, however, as this offence was very long ago and you can show you have moved on since the offence etc etc, there is of course the possibility of being accepted on to the course.

When it comes to applying for a position after completing your degree, again you have to go through the same thing of declaring it etc etc. Again you can show you have moved on since the offence.

You can always contact the universities directly (or attend an open day) to ask them for advice before you apply, however they may just say apply and see what happens, but it's worth an ask anyway.

It's also worth searching the forum as this has been discussed before and you may find some positive experiences from other posters.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your application.
Reply 9
It is possible, it depends on the panel.
I will say though that i have seen people turned away from adult nursing courses due to their record (the unis didn't say that but she had the interview and they took the interview away after discussing her conviction)

The fact that you were so young may go in your favour. Best to try though eh. Also maybe go to open days or email the unis you are interested in to ask.
Reply 10
*edit as I totally read the first post wrong*
May be useful to contact 'disclosure and barring service' and ask for their advice and if you have a previous dbs the crime was mentioned to them and if so why did they decide to disclose. - I've worked in criminal justice system with young people and it's often done at the officer who is doing the checks discretion for certain offences and then dbs (Liverpool) would review it and decide if it's applicable. As some crimes before 18 aren't always thought to be disclosable. Although what actually 'happened' will probably impact the decision.

On a personal level if you do think it will come up again 100% tell them, as it doesn't look good if you don't and they find out and is almost worse in a way then the actual thing as you're being 'dishonest' in their eyes.
(edited 6 years ago)
you have to declare it. failure to do so will result in any course your on being removed. you need to write out a statement about the offence explaining the situation at the time. and how youve learnt from it. your age at the time is in your favour as is its singular nature. obviously any offence of theft or dishonesty is a serious issue. just be open and honest and you should be ok. you will face the same issue with all your future jobs. but again just do the same. good luck. a mistake at 11 should not stop you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending