The Student Room Group

Do people really not understand how A-levels work?

People are saying on here their predictions are bad when they haven't even got their AS results, of course if they perform better than their mocks their teachers will adjust their predictions. People don't seem to be able to grasp this and think the grades they've been predicted from informal, internal tests (often made up from different past papers from the specifications) are what they're stuck with for their university applications.

People are posting they've 'just missed' their offers when they don't have their results, they don't know whether they've got in or not but are talking in the present tense. People can't grasp how to attach extra sheets to their exam papers, how to write their names and candidate and centre numbers on their papers or that they're allowed to write on the exam papers, all of which is said before every exam they ever sit. What don't people understand? Yes people panic, but when you're in a room and the only thing you can hear is an invigilator telling you very clearly what to do and how to do it, I don't see how you can get it wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
I knew it was you who made this thread :colonhash::colonhash:
Original post by Miss.Unknow
I knew it was you who made this thread :colonhash::colonhash:

Glad to hear it :h:
Original post by Glassapple
Yes people panic, but when you're in a room and the only thing you can hear is an invigilator telling you very clearly what to do and how to do it, I don't see how you can get it wrong.

Wow, it's almost as if people have different experiences in education and not everyone can achieve the same ableist and classist standard you suggest!

(Also congrats on making yet again another thread that serves primarily as an ego boost as I see no evidence of helping other members or genuinely contributing to interesting discourse.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by auburnstar
Wow, it's almost as if people have different experiences in education and not everyone can achieve the same ableist and classist standard you suggest!

(Also congrats on making yet again another thread that serves primarily as an ego boost as I see no evidence of helping other members or genuinely contributing to interesting discourse. I also spot an interesting contradiction as you discuss the lack of AS grades and then present an invigilated exam situation)

So you're really telling me in other schools the students walk in, the invigilators say and do nothing at all except sit down, then when the exam is over they make a silent signal and dismiss everyone?

Its not a contradiction, it's possible to make two different points about a topic, the invigilation is in a different paragraph. Did you spot that?
(edited 6 years ago)
Panic can cause normal sensible people to lose their marbles and do dumb things. Exams are very stressful for most people and I've seen people totally lose it.

Exams are like walking down a street on your own and some dude turns up and pulls a knife on you. Different people react differently - some would freeze, some would say / do something dumb, and some would calmly take the guy out.
So you're really telling me in other schools the students walk in, the invigilators say and do nothing at all except sit down, then when the exam is over they make a silent signal and dismiss everyone?

No, but the difference between an A and a C is not going to be based on whether you can check the time and write your name on the paper.

That being said, I am sure there are schools that are worse at following protocol. Even in my school, one of my exams (a language oral prep) was ""invigilated"" by a woman who did not mention the time and was fully engrossed in her Times newspaper.
Reply 7
People are saying on here their predictions are bad when they haven't even got their AS results, of course if they perform better than their mocks their teachers will adjust their predictions. People don't seem to be able to grasp this and think the grades they've been predicted from informal, internal tests (often made up from different past papers from the specifications) are what they're stuck with for their university applications.

People are posting they've 'just missed' their offers when they don't have their results, they don't know whether they've got in or not but are talking in the present tense. People can't grasp how to attach extra sheets to their exam papers, how to write their names and candidate and centre numbers on their papers or that they're allowed to write on the exam papers, all of which is said before every exam they ever sit. What don't people understand? Yes people panic, but when you're in a room and the only thing you can hear is an invigilator telling you very clearly what to do and how to do it, I don't see how you can get it wrong.

Students generally can predict whether they will be accepted to uni based on how the exam went and if they knew that their answer to a question is wrong, as the exams are testing on your knowledge and marks are awarded for correct references, except essay writing subjects such as History, English Language and Literature, English Language etc where how you portray the information is considered as significant other than knowledge.

Also, students do not really pay too much attention to centre numbers and candidate numbers. Sometimes due to anxiety silly mistakes can happen and its natural part of life. There are some people that become very nervous until the moment where they officially sit an exam and manage to do fine afterwards. However there are others that cannot control their anxiety and therefore make 'silly mistakes'. I wouldn't classify this as an abnormal reaction.
(edited 6 years ago)
Exam nerves get to the best of us. I know because I've gotten them before and done worse than I should have (which I feel bad by saying because I probably still did really good by most people's standards...).
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Panic can cause normal sensible people to lose their marbles and do dumb things. Exams are very stressful for most people and I've seen people totally lose it. Exams are like walking down a street on your own and some dude turns up and pulls a knife on you. Different people react differently - some would freeze, some would say / do something dumb, and some would calmly take the guy out.

Exams are stressful but when you've been prepared for two academic years about how to do something by numerous different people, I see no reason why you can't do it.

Original post by auburnstar
No, but the difference between an A and a C is not going to be based on whether you can check the time and write your name on the paper. That being said, I am sure there are schools that are worse at following protocol. Even in my school, one of my exams (a language oral prep) was ""invigilated"" by a woman who did not mention the time and was fully engrossed in her Times newspaper.

See my edited post. Of course the different between an A and a C could be about checking the time. If you spend an hour on Section A and only have half an hour to spend on Section B when they we meant to take 45 minutes each, that's a lot of marks you can lose by not giving a long enough or detailed enough answer in Section B.

Original post by oni176
Also, students do not really pay too much attention to centre numbers and candidate numbers.

At my school the centre number is always written in massive numbers on the big whiteboard at the front that everyone can see. Our candidate numbers are put on our desks, though they're easy enough to memorise.
(edited 6 years ago)
Life lesson: Noone understands A-levels, including the examiners.
Exams are stressful but when you've been prepped for two academic years about how to do something by numerous different people, I see no reason why you can't do it.

It depends on the person. The prep and practice help most people improve. But there are people where this would raise their anxiety levels so high they can't hear instructions, can't carry out simple tasks properly, and totally freak out.

These guys could benefit from the same training given to soldiers to help them overcome the fear of being attacked. Or the breathing exercises used to treat panic attacks.
See my edited post. Of course the different between an A and a C could be about checking the time. If you spend an hour on Section A and only have half an hour to spend on Section B when they we meant to take 45 minutes each, that's a lot of marks you can lose by not giving a long enough or detailed enough answer in Section B.

Could be. Or it could also be due to a number of different factors causing increased stress under pressure such as anxiety, stress, mental health issues, physical health issues and/or disabilities or a lack of appropriate knowledge from lack of revision (perhaps due to bereavement, disaster, family event, abuse or mental health).

Even if everyone revised the same amount and had clear exam regulations, you cannot account for the added stress (eg illness, abuse/trauma, bullying or discrimination) that certain individuals face which undoubtedly may impact their performance in exams. It is not so much that people do not "understand" A levels on a conceptual level, but rather that their attainment is influenced by a myriad of different and often conflicting factors that modern education fails to take into account.

Regardless, I think I've said enough on this topic to make my views clear and won't be responding to any more posts in this thread.
Reply 13
Exams are stressful but when you've been prepared for two academic years about how to do something by numerous different people, I see no reason why you can't do it.

At my school the centre number is always written in massive numbers on the big whiteboard at the front that everyone can see. Our candidate numbers are put on our desks, though they're easy enough to memorise.

Yes but sometimes people can make mistakes, especially after being nervous and knowing that your future career is fully dependent on your grades and achievements.
Examiners make mistakes and give incorrect marks to students despite having a mark scheme in front of them. This simply shows that it is part of nature. There are some people that can control their anxiety well and others that cannot.
Not entirely related, but after my first AS exam someone in my class asked if the exams 'counted towards our final grades'. My teacher couldn't believe it; he'd spent nearly two months reminding us how important the exams were (worth 25% of the final grade and she thought they were mocks).

The irony of this is that while you act as if you know the a level system very well, you're naive and dont even understand why people can be anxious over their grades and predictions, and how people can make mistakes. You lack empathy and feelings, because you're a narcissistic idiot. And I can guarantee that its gonna cause problems for you because like it or not, everyone else around you is just so different from you. In fact the only reason you're here is to fill that vacuum of 0 human interaction.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by StevetheIcecube
Not entirely related, but after my first AS exam someone in my class asked if the exams 'counted towards our final grades'. My teacher couldn't believe it; he'd spent nearly two months reminding us how important the exams were (worth 25% of the final grade and she thought they were mocks).

Are you doing the new specification from 2015? If yes, then the AS results do not contribute to your final grade.
Original post by oni176
Are you doing the new specification from 2015? If yes, then the AS results do not contribute to your final grade.

No, it's the 2009 specification for Ancient History, for which the linear starts teaching in September.

Quick Reply

Latest