The Student Room Group

New proposed uniform cancelled

Hi my school this year has been going through a few consultations regarding our uniform.
We were given 2 options one was to keep our current sweatshirt and polo shirt uniform. The other was to have a formal blazer and tie uniform.
Students parents and teachers all voted and 70% of parents voted to keep the current uniform 64% of teachers voted to keep the current uniform and 94% of students voted to keep the current uniform including me.
I was reviled to us last week that the proposed blazer and tie uniform has been scrapped and we're keeping our sweatshirt and polo shirt uniform. What's other people's opinion and which option would you of voted for ?
Proposed new uniform / scrapped
Blazer with school logo
School shirt
School tie
Black school trousers
Leather school shoes no plimsolls (recomend with current uniform] no vans trainers or boots

Current uniform /
School sweatshirt with school logo
School polo shirt
Black school trousers
School shoes or plain black lace up plimsolls (most people wear plimsolls including me) no vans trainers or boots

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nice to see that your school had a democratic process which was respected.
Reply 2
Original post by Tortent
Nice to see that your school had a democratic process which was respected.

Yeah it was good my headteacher and school council suggested it as she wasn't to keen on the idea of a new uniform don't know who even suggested it in the first place to be honest
Reply 3
We're getting a new school logo though so technically we're getting a new uniform even though it's exactly the same new logo not conplusary until next September not this one
Reply 4
Who wears a polo shirt at secondary school?
Reply 5
I would of hated wearing a blazer and tie
At least you got to choose, ours is a blazer and tie uniform
Reply 7
Not much of a uniform, more like a PE kit
Reply 8
Original post by SGHD26716
Who wears a polo shirt at secondary school?

My school and the other secondary school in my area does
Reply 9
Original post by Theorange10
My school and the other secondary school in my area does

Wow. My school was full on black suit. Some of the guys even wore waistcoats. Bit overkill though.
Reply 10
Original post by SGHD26716
Not much of a uniform, more like a PE kit

How is it I think my uniform is ok
I've always thought that polo shirts look tacky in secondary schools, to be honest.
Reply 12
Original post by Theorange10
How is it I think my uniform is ok

I was replying to the guy who said they only have polo shirts.
In my school, you can wear any combination of blazer, shirt, tie, trousers, skirt, poloshirt, jumper, cardigan, shoes (anything black is fine), pinafore, etc.
Shirt, tie and blazer is strongly encouraged though. Most people wear a shirt and tie (some with a blazer, some without).

A couple of people wear a poloshirt with a blazer- I will never understand this.
Reply 14
Original post by _gcx
I've always thought that polo shirts look tacky in secondary schools, to be honest.

How do they I think there smart
Out of the two, I'd probably prefer the blazer and tie- that's what I had, and you actually get used to it. I feel it looks somewhat smarter, although some colour (even just the tie) is necessary unless you want to look like an army of undertakers). Also, at my school, we used to have a policy where you could wear a white polo shirt with your blazer instead of a shirt and tie during terms 5 and 6 (due to the heat), and that worked well- still not sure why they scrapped it :frown:

However, if I had to vote, it probably would have been for the polo shirt uniform because blazers and stuff are expensive and so it would be a pain for all the students to pay for new clothing.
Blazer, tie, blue shirt (long or short sleeves), black shoes, and grey skirts/trousers for girls and grey trousers for boys
Reply 17
Original post by laurawatt
Blazer, tie, blue shirt (long or short sleeves), black shoes, and grey skirts/trousers for girls and grey trousers for boys

My uniform is school sweatshirt school polo shirt black school trousers and plain black lace up plimsolls as school shoes
Our school completely failed. They were considering either a plain-ish informal uniform or a similar uniform but with really ugly tartan stripes on the skirt. They sent out an online survey, but forgot the IP check, so lots of boys (who wouldn't have to wear the skirt) decided to spam the survey - some even set up mouse-macros. The tartan-striped skirt got chosen. Thank goodness I'm leaving so I won't have to see girls wearing that abomination.
Reply 19
Original post by TheMindGarage
Our school completely failed. They were considering either a plain-ish informal uniform or a similar uniform but with really ugly tartan stripes on the skirt. They sent out an online survey, but forgot the IP check, so lots of boys (who wouldn't have to wear the skirt) decided to spam the survey - some even set up mouse-macros. The tartan-striped skirt got chosen. Thank goodness I'm leaving so I won't have to see girls wearing that abomination.

We just voted in class and parents / teachers filled out a form

Quick Reply

Latest