The Student Room Group

A level choices (help)

I'm stuck over what A levels to do. I think I want to be a vet when I'm older so obviously I'll be taking chemistry and biology but I'm unsure on others. I think I want to do 4 and I'm stuck between psychology, maths and English literature. Psychology is probably my favourite out of them, followed by English literature and then followed by maths. However, My concern for English literature is the workload and that it isn't as suited to what I want to do however I really enjoy it and at GCSE worked a lot better in it than maths (level 9/8) so it would be great if someone could explain to me what these A levels are like and the best combination because I honestly have no clue.
EXAM BOARDS
English literature: WJEC
Pyschology: AQA
Biology: OCR
Chemistry: AQA
Maths: Edexcel
Original post by Leilaadlam
I'm stuck over what A levels to do. I think I want to be a vet when I'm older so obviously I'll be taking chemistry and biology but I'm unsure on others. I think I want to do 4 and I'm stuck between psychology, maths and English literature. Psychology is probably my favourite out of them, followed by English literature and then followed by maths. However, My concern for English literature is the workload and that it isn't as suited to what I want to do however I really enjoy it and at GCSE worked a lot better in it than maths (level 9/8) so it would be great if someone could explain to me what these A levels are like and the best combination because I honestly have no clue.
EXAM BOARDS

Personally, I really hated english literature on WJEC, they used books which were really confusing and my lecturer wasn't the most helpful, but then you might be better at it than me, so don't let me experience put you off.
Alternatively Psychology AQA is absolutely amazing! My favorite subject at A Level 10/10 recommend.
If you are taking 4 its OK for one of your subjects to be less relate able, I know with Medicine, they apparently like it when your 4th AS Level is in a different subject, because it shows you are all rounded (however, don't quote me on that, that's only what I've heard on the grape line from friends who applied for medicine)
Original post by Leilaadlam
EXAM BOARDS

All of those subjects would be suitable for entry onto the veterinary medicine course. I know vet students that did all of those subjects as their third A level. It doesn't matter that Eng lit isn't a science, and if anything it can be helpful for improving your essay writing skills.

My general advice for picking A levels is to choose what you think you will do best in and what you will enjoy the most :smile:
Hi
i would recommend that u dont choose maths. I feel its unnecessary for you as its difficult especially if u do chem and bio too.

Best bet psychology/chem/bio
:smile:
just to warn you now, whilst psychology is interesting, its workload can get very intense and there's a lot of memorisation required. but i'm sure that if you enjoy the subject, you'll do well in it :smile:

i would personally say that since you're going down the science route, maths a level would be the most helpful. in case you change your mind about being a vet, but still want to stay within the science route, you'd be able to do something like biology or chemistry at a top university as you have maths, although some universities don't require maths past gcse for its science courses.

i didn't really enjoy maths at gcse but knew i was going to take it to a level due to how handy it is and how broad it is an a level, and now i personally love it so much. i also do edexcel :smile:

nonetheless, i would say that overall pick an a level you think you would enjoy and stay motivated to work in, but also remember to keep in mind your overall workload and how handy each subject will be for any and all possible future plans you may have

Quick Reply

Latest