The Student Room Group

Acid attacks- are the media deceptive

I am seeing a lot on the news about these acid attacks, yet i have not seen any photos of the suspects despite news articles saying that suspects have been arrested in relation the attacks- why is it the media are telling us half truths in regards to news stories? Does it fit their narrative? Are the media being somewhat deceptive?

Scroll to see replies

Weren't the suspects in the attack under age?
Sadly they will be entitled to anonymity
Why do you need to see them anyway?
Original post by Sammylou40
Weren't the suspects in the attack under age?
Sadly they will be entitled to anonymity
Why do you need to see them anyway?

There are many attacks, i did not specify which attack- I'm sure some of them are over the age of 16, somewhere. I want to see the ethnicity of the attackers, to see if it matches something a friend posted on Facebook.
Original post by Getinthegutter
I am seeing a lot on the news about these acid attacks, yet i have not seen any photos of the suspects despite news articles saying that suspects have been arrested in relation the attacks- why is it the media are telling us half truths in regards to news stories? Does it fit their narrative? Are the media being somewhat deceptive?

I worry that the media simply glorifies and promotes this kind of attack. I mean, there was an interview the other night that was literally an advert to millions of people.
There are many attacks, i did not specify which attack- I'm sure some of them are over the age of 16, somewhere. I want to see the ethnicity of the attackers, to see if it matches something a friend posted on Facebook.

Ah. What you mean is, you want to blame an economic migrant/refugee/asylum seeker/foreigner /Muslim. ( insert which adjective suits you best)
Original post by Captain Jack
I worry that the media simply glorifies and promotes this kind of attack. I mean, there was an interview the other night that was literally an advert to millions of people.

The media is basically social justice warriors with corporate interests- they will report an attack which is done by a white Right winger but if an attack is done by a minority they go to the wall to try and censor the media reports of the attack. I remember watching an interview on the BBC where someone was stabbed and the attackers shouted Allah Akbar, the BBC interview cut this part out (conveniently) and the newspapers who interviewed the witness during the same interview left it in the interview so that is what i mean with the media being deceptive, TV media for sure anyway. The media report on it in the wrong way they report it with enthusiasm it seems where people are getting life changing injuries but when something does not meet their narrative they will quickly change the subject or try and hide the truth.
Ah. What you mean is, you want to blame an economic migrant/refugee/asylum seeker/foreigner /Muslim. ( insert which adjective suits you best)

No I saw a facebook post alleging it so i wanted a fact check- there is nowt sinister before you throw the social justice racism anti immigrant card at me.
No I saw a facebook post alleging it so i wanted a fact check- there is nowt sinister before you throw the social justice racism anti immigrant card at me.

I didn't. But on tsr if you even mention the above you'll be hung out to dry. Or if you defend them you'll be met by terrible racism
Can't win
Looked the way it was going.
You may be given their names when convicted but photos are unlikely
I didn't. But on tsr if you even mention the above you'll be hung out to dry. Or if you defend them you'll be met by terrible racism
Can't win
Looked the way it was going.
You may be given their names when convicted but photos are unlikely

Why do people read too much into things- I wanted it to confirm the accuracy of a facebook post i have seen, instead i got an accusation. It ain't as if i said a foreigner did the attack. Grow up FFS.
Here's some
Adele Bellis, 25, lost an ear, was left partially bald and has permanent scarring following the sulphuric acid attack at a bus stop in her home town of Lowestoft, Suffolk, on August 14 2014. It was the culmination of a six-month campaign by her former partner of seven years, Anthony Riley, 26, of Lowestoft. Five months earlier she had been stabbed in the face by one of his friends.
( white British)

Carla Whitlock was attacked with drain cleaner containing sulphuric acid on 18 September last year. Southampton Crown Court heard the acid was thrown in the 37-year-old's face after a drug deal went wrong. Billy Midmore was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent. His brother Geoffrey admitted the offence.
( white British)

Twenty people were hurt - including two people each blinded in one eye - in the attack at the Mangle E8 club on Monday. Police said the men, aged 21 and 24, were arrested in separate properties in north London on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. They are still urging Arthur Collins, from Hertfordshire, to hand himself in. The 25-year-old is the boyfriend of The Only Way is Essex star Ferne McCann, who has urged him to go to a police station.
( white British)

A notorious criminal has been convicted of an acid attack on a journalist. William “Basil” Burns attacked Russell Findlay on the doorstep of his home in Glasgow's west end in December 2015.
( white British)

Andrew Feather was one of four men convicted in 2014 for the murder of Barry Selby, 50, who died in hospital three days after he was shot in the leg and had acid thrown in his face by men who broke into his home.Feather was convicted along with co-accused Robert Woodhead, Joseph Lowther and Lee Calvert for what a judge described as the “vicious” and “cowardly” murder of 50-year-old Mr Selby at his home in East Bowling.
(All white British)

Seems to be a recurring theme!!!!! I'm sure there are others
If they have already arrested them then there is no need for them to be identified and as other people have said they are underage so have the right to anonymity.
Why do people read too much into things- I wanted it to confirm the accuracy of a facebook post i have seen, instead i got an accusation. It ain't as if i said a foreigner did the attack. Grow up FFS.

Calm down sausage!!!!
Here's some
Adele Bellis, 25, lost an ear, was left partially bald and has permanent scarring following the sulphuric acid attack at a bus stop in her home town of Lowestoft, Suffolk, on August 14 2014. It was the culmination of a six-month campaign by her former partner of seven years, Anthony Riley, 26, of Lowestoft. Five months earlier she had been stabbed in the face by one of his friends.
( white British)

Carla Whitlock was attacked with drain cleaner containing sulphuric acid on 18 September last year. Southampton Crown Court heard the acid was thrown in the 37-year-old's face after a drug deal went wrong. Billy Midmore was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent. His brother Geoffrey admitted the offence.
( white British)

Twenty people were hurt - including two people each blinded in one eye - in the attack at the Mangle E8 club on Monday. Police said the men, aged 21 and 24, were arrested in separate properties in north London on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. They are still urging Arthur Collins, from Hertfordshire, to hand himself in. The 25-year-old is the boyfriend of The Only Way is Essex star Ferne McCann, who has urged him to go to a police station.
( white British)

A notorious criminal has been convicted of an acid attack on a journalist. William “Basil” Burns attacked Russell Findlay on the doorstep of his home in Glasgow's west end in December 2015.
( white British)

Andrew Feather was one of four men convicted in 2014 for the murder of Barry Selby, 50, who died in hospital three days after he was shot in the leg and had acid thrown in his face by men who broke into his home.Feather was convicted along with co-accused Robert Woodhead, Joseph Lowther and Lee Calvert for what a judge described as the “vicious” and “cowardly” murder of 50-year-old Mr Selby at his home in East Bowling.
(All white British)

Seems to be a recurring theme!!!!! I'm sure there are others

#triggered still don't read what i have read.

I watched this video just yesterday, may be useful to you :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EscjYGHKHxM
Original post by 99coldplayer

Within first 2 minutes drugs mentioned-what a shock!

yeah I watched that the guy at 14:20 is such a moron
TBH honest they are not giving out long enough sentences that is the fundamental problem
Original post by karl pilkington
yeah I watched that the guy at 14:20 is such a moron

His morals are definitely rather questionable but he is seeking out help from the ex gang member so he does seem to be at least trying to make a change...

Sentencing people to prison, if the sentence isn't that long, is likely to see them reoffend so I do think a balance needs to be found, but of course this may prove very difficult
His morals are definitely rather questionable but he is seeking out help from the ex gang member so he does seem to be at least trying to make a change...

Sentencing people to prison, if the sentence isn't that long, is likely to see them reoffend so I do think a balance needs to be found, but of course this may prove very difficult

tbh if someone throws acid in someones face I think they should get 30 years in prison. Also the guy can barely string a sentence together and keeps saying innit. He whinges about not being able to get a job when that's his fault for getting a criminal record. Maybe people should take responsibility for their actions.
Whats interesting is that for some reason acid attacks are getting a lot of attention now. There has been one pretty much every day in London alone.

Call it social media perception, but Ive noticed several friends on facebook take up this cause after a muslim woman was attacked, and have since been dubbing the acid attack 'phenomenon' as an example of far-right extremism against muslims, labeling it as Terrorism and so on.

So the question is: is something new happening thats racially, politically, or religiously motivated? Or is just the same general trend we've been seeing over the last several years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending