The Student Room Group

Deferred uni application

I would like to do a gap year. I've just finished year 12.
I should clarify I am not asking about applying for deferred entry, I am asking about deferring my application. So instead of applying October 2017 (during year 13) for a place in October 2019, I would be applying October 2018 (having left school a few months previously) for a place in October 2019.
The reason for this is I still don't know what I want to study so I wouldn't be prepared to apply for deferred entry this October, I would like a year to think about it.
If I apply in October 2018 will this affect my chances? Will unis judge me differently as I have been out of education for 3 months?
I don't see why it would affect my chances, but of course my dad - like most dads - seems to think he is an expert on this topic, and that applying just after leaving school will make it harder to get in. I must add he bases this on essentially no research.
If anyone has real authority/evidence on this matter that would be much appreciated!
I don't think it will make any difference but what are you planning on doing on the year out? Universities will want to see that you have been gaining skills whether that is travelling, working, volunteering etc. In some ways, it will make it easier because you'll already have your A levels unless you are planning on re taking anything
Reply 2
Original post by Muserock
I don't think it will make any difference but what are you planning on doing on the year out? Universities will want to see that you have been gaining skills whether that is travelling, working, volunteering etc. In some ways, it will make it easier because you'll already have your A levels unless you are planning on re taking anything

Thanks for your reply. I have not yet decided but I would certainly do something along the lines of what you just suggested.
I am predicted very good grades (A*A*A) so do not expect to have to retake anything.
Reply 3
Original post by palms99
I would like to do a gap year. I've just finished year 12.
I should clarify I am not asking about applying for deferred entry, I am asking about deferring my application. So instead of applying October 2017 (during year 13) for a place in October 2019, I would be applying October 2018 (having left school a few months previously) for a place in October 2019.
The reason for this is I still don't know what I want to study so I wouldn't be prepared to apply for deferred entry this October, I would like a year to think about it.
If I apply in October 2018 will this affect my chances? Will unis judge me differently as I have been out of education for 3 months?
I don't see why it would affect my chances, but of course my dad - like most dads - seems to think he is an expert on this topic, and that applying just after leaving school will make it harder to get in. I must add he bases this on essentially no research.
If anyone has real authority/evidence on this matter that would be much appreciated!

At Cambridge? Or anywhere? You've asked this in the Cambridge forum...

And which course(s) are you considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending