The Student Room Group

How can I prepare for A level German?

I'm starting year 12 in September and I'm taking German. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on preparing for A level German
Thanks x
Hey!
I've just finished year 12 taking German, Maths and Chemistry and have been predicted an A in German so hopefully I can help :smile: I'm not a native speaker so idk if my advise with be helpful for you but I'd definitely recommend going over a lot of grammar! I feel like at GCSE they don't really teach the grammar very well, we tend to focus more on vocab (which is obvs still v important) but in the first couple of weeks of alevel we covered a lot of grammar which really put me off because i found it so difficult and intense but push through it and the rest of the year is amazing!! Make sure you really understand the cases and it will definitely give you a great head start in September :smile:

hmu if you need any more advise
Original post by francesca_1704
Hey!
I've just finished year 12 taking German, Maths and Chemistry and have been predicted an A in German so hopefully I can help :smile: I'm not a native speaker so idk if my advise with be helpful for you but I'd definitely recommend going over a lot of grammar! I feel like at GCSE they don't really teach the grammar very well, we tend to focus more on vocab (which is obvs still v important) but in the first couple of weeks of alevel we covered a lot of grammar which really put me off because i found it so difficult and intense but push through it and the rest of the year is amazing!! Make sure you really understand the cases and it will definitely give you a great head start in September :smile:

hmu if you need any more advise

Thanks for your advice! What is the best way to learn the grammar, are there any good apps/books/online resources 😊
There are loads of great you tubers that explain the grammar really well to get you started, such as "Learn German with Jenny" or "Learn German with Ania"
Then to practise it there are loads of different workbooks you can bu on amazon or worksheets online, just search "German Cases worksheet" etc and there will be loads of resources :smile: There are different specific workbooks for different exam boards so check with your college/sixth form for that but the AQA ones are particularly popular and you'll most likely to asked to buy them anyway in September

Quick Reply

Latest