The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science degree

Do any universities offer a one year biomedical science degree??
So you want to go to University and leave after a year with a degree?
Reply 2
I mean so the second year transition into Dentistry how would that work
It doesnt.

You do a Dentistry degree.
Or you do a Medical Sciences degree.

Btw, many Unis will not consider anyone with a half-completed degree for admission to Vet/Med/Dent course, and one year of another degree will not 'improve' inadequate A levels. Just in case you were wondering.
Reply 4
So why do people do a biomed degree and then apply for medicine/Dentistry to increase their chances??
Reply 5
Don't any universities offer a one year biomed course
Original post by mollie345
So why do people do a biomed degree and then apply for medicine/Dentistry to increase their chances??

No idea.

It doesnt make them any more likely to get an offer - and of course they wont get full funding from SF for a 2nd undergrad degree.
Don't any universities offer a one year biomed course

No. Degrees are 3 or 4 year courses.

You might find a 1 year Foundation course (pre-degree) - but that wont make you any more likely to get an offer for Dent than getting 3 decent A levels.
Reply 8
I'm ok with A levels and think I'll get decent grades however regarding my GCSE's I got A* 4A 2B 2C one of which was in maths so I resat this year in y12 do u think this would lower my chances
I'm ok with A levels and think I'll get decent grades however regarding my GCSE's I got A* 4A 2B 2C one of which was in maths so I resat this year in y12 do u think this would lower my chances

Dentistry, like Medicine, is about far more than 'grades'. You need to meet the minimum qualification requirements but you will also need relevant work experience and a good personal statement - why do you want to do Dentistry, what areas of Dentistry interest you (and why), sensible comments on your work experience and some brief comments about what else you do (volunteer work, sport, leadership at school etc). And then you need to get through the interview.

Go to some Open Days and you'll get lots of helpful information. The remaining ones will be in Sept and you'll need to book a place now.
(edited 6 years ago)
I mean so the second year transition into Dentistry how would that work

I think that's possible at Cardiff and St George's. Best to check their websites for details.

They don't apply to "increase their chances". You can only apply to a maximum of 4 medicine or dentistry courses in UCAS - out of 5. The final course can be anything, but more BMS courses accept medicine/dentistry personal statements without prejudice. Several also have internal transfer programmes to the medicine (or less often dentistry), or guaranteed interview schemes for GEM similar - these are MORE competitive than outright applying to undergraduate medicine/dentistry however.

That said, a less likely route is better than no route if they miss out the first time applying (or second, if they reapply after a gap year - most don't reapply a third time and go on to BMS or related and try their hand at one of those other routes). Thus they preferentially apply to these programmes compared to other bioscience courses. It, in itself, is not a "better" way to get into medicine - only compared to the alternative is it sometimes slightly improved. However if you aren't applying to medicine/dentistry in the first place, and don't fulfill the requirements of the internal transfer/guaranteed interview schemes, then it's no better or worse than any other bioscience (or even any STEM subject).
I think you need to actually so some proper research about your career path. It's one of the biggest decisions YOU will make in your life and it sounds to me like your first port of call was to ask strangers, rather than do some actual research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending