The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Attendance policy regarding lectures

Hello!
I'm going to start my postgraduate studies in Computer Science this september and I'd like to know how the attendance to lectures is "enforced" (not lab-sessions). Do we have to register before each lecture? Do we have to put our name in a list somewhere?

Thanks in advance:smile:
Original post by karlheinz
Hello!
I'm going to start my postgraduate studies in Computer Science this september and I'd like to know how the attendance to lectures is "enforced" (not lab-sessions). Do we have to register before each lecture? Do we have to put our name in a list somewhere?

Thanks in advance:smile:

Nope! It's up to you to attend or not as you are in charge of your own learning. Just don't expect someone (staff) to help you if you haven't been to the lectures unless you have a good reason.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Nope! It's up to you to attend or not as you are in charge of your own learning. Just don't expect someone (staff) to help you if you haven't been to the lectures unless you have a good reason.

Hey. Well, thank you for your respond.

It's not that I don't want to go to the lectures, but I'm going to have a crazy commute throughout the first semester.

So when you say that I can't expect any help from the staff if I havn't been to the lectures...do you think anybody will realise that at all? I expect there to be plenty of other students and based on your answer I suppose there is no such thing as (electronic) registration, is it?
Hey. Well, thank you for your respond.

It's not that I don't want to go to the lectures, but I'm going to have a crazy commute throughout the first semester.

So when you say that I can't expect any help from the staff if I havn't been to the lectures...do you think anybody will realise that at all? I expect there to be plenty of other students and based on your answer I suppose there is no such thing as (electronic) registration, is it?

Staff can tell if you've been to a lecture or not based on your level of understanding and what you're asking them. No they don't register attendance but you may want to explain the situation to your personal tutor right at the start so they know what to expect and can support you rather than annoying them by expecting help when you just don't show up.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Staff can tell if you've been to a lecture or not based on your level of understanding and what you're asking them. No they don't register attendance but you may want to explain the situation to your personal tutor right at the start so they know what to expect and can support you rather than annoying them by expecting help when you just don't show up.

Oh wow we're going to have a proper contact person! That sounds good. I only know university as very impersonal when it comes to the relationship between staff and students. Basically, nobody gives a **** if you're there or not.

I'd appreciate if that is different at QMUL.

As far as it concerns the level of understanding, isn't it standard to make lecture material available online? Or does that depend on the module?

Best regards
Oh wow we're going to have a proper contact person! That sounds good. I only know university as very impersonal when it comes to the relationship between staff and students. Basically, nobody gives a **** if you're there or not.

I'd appreciate if that is different at QMUL.

As far as it concerns the level of understanding, isn't it standard to make lecture material available online? Or does that depend on the module?

Best regards

It does depend on the module and course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending