The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Wariwck DCS modules labs attendance

Hello,

I'm an exchange student joining the University of Warwick soon, and I have a question regarding the DCS modules.

Based on what I've been able to gather, lectures are mostly recorded and don't have any formal attendance; it's the students' responsibility to keep up. But what about labs? Do they have compulsory attendance, and are they graded? It seems like the coursework is delivered separately, so what exactly are the lab sessions for? And if attendance is compulsory, what is the policy around that?

Apologies for the long question, and thank you for your help!
They record attendance for every lab - there's a register you have to sign for most labs. Once you've signed it you can just leave, if you so please. They won't really do anything if you miss a few, but if you start never showing up at all then they might "follow up" on that. I'm not sure if there are further consequences but I doubt they are much more than a slap on the wrist.

The labs themselves are generally not graded but the activities you complete within them may be linked to other activities which are graded---for example, in CS132, the final 2 labs have you design some program for a piece of hardware. The graded part is the report you have to write about this program that you wrote (and you only have access to the hardware in the labs so attending is basically required)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
They record attendance for every lab - there's a register you have to sign for most labs. Once you've signed it you can just leave, if you so please. They won't really do anything if you miss a few, but if you start never showing up at all then they might "follow up" on that. I'm not sure if there are further consequences but I doubt they are much more than a slap on the wrist.

The labs themselves are generally not graded but the activities you complete within them may be linked to other activities which are graded---for example, in CS132, the final 2 labs have you design some program for a piece of hardware. The graded part is the report you have to write about this program that you wrote (and you only have access to the hardware in the labs so attending is basically required)

I see, thank you for your response. So there are no long term projects done throughout the labs? And given your repsonse, am I correct in assuming that skipping one lab session for a module (a lab session that isn't in the final weeks of term) should be a non-issue? Thank you again for your response!
Original post by Tom28746
I see, thank you for your response. So there are no long term projects done throughout the labs? And given your repsonse, am I correct in assuming that skipping one lab session for a module (a lab session that isn't in the final weeks of term) should be a non-issue? Thank you again for your response!

I don't believe there are any---there certainly haven't been any in term 1. There could be for some specific modules but generally not.

Skipping a few is indeed a non-issue

Quick Reply

Latest