The Student Room Group

What do I do now?

Hi, so I got my a level results last thursday. I'm just going to say I was extremely dissapointed with the grades I received :frown: I got a C in film, D in graphics and an E in anthropology. I'm so unhappy with these results as I'm not a very academic person and I worked extremely hard to try and get at least a C in my subjects. I was really shocked at my graphics results as my teacher said to me (once I handed in my coursework) that I had done good (I really struggled at the beginning of my second year of college). Basically I'm now stuck on what I should do next. I have a guaranteed place on an art foundation course but after my results I'm now less sure on whether I should do it. I've always struggled with finding a passion and something I enjoy. In May I thought I finally realised that my passion was illustration and I was motivated to keep drawing for about a week and haven't really drawn since. This coupled with the grade is making me doubt whether to go forward with this foundation course. What are my other options? I don't think there'd be any point in me retaking my second year of college since I believe I truly tried my best this year and I don't want to waste another year. If I could go back to when i first started college I would totally do a diploma course (I cope with coursework a lot better) or look into doing an apprenticeship. However when I was applying I was discouraged by various people about these options. I don't really want to stay in college education for more than another year now and I'm really unsure on how to cope and what to do. The only thing I've kind of got an interest in is learning another language (Korean, I would be self taught as there is not a course run anywhere near me) and I'd love to teach english in Korea. Please help, I'm so scared and unsure of how to proceed with my life and education.
Reply 1
Original post by foxc0lours
Hi, so I got my a level results last thursday. I'm just going to say I was extremely dissapointed with the grades I received :frown: I got a C in film, D in graphics and an E in anthropology. I'm so unhappy with these results as I'm not a very academic person and I worked extremely hard to try and get at least a C in my subjects. I was really shocked at my graphics results as my teacher said to me (once I handed in my coursework) that I had done good (I really struggled at the beginning of my second year of college). Basically I'm now stuck on what I should do next. I have a guaranteed place on an art foundation course but after my results I'm now less sure on whether I should do it. I've always struggled with finding a passion and something I enjoy. In May I thought I finally realised that my passion was illustration and I was motivated to keep drawing for about a week and haven't really drawn since. This coupled with the grade is making me doubt whether to go forward with this foundation course. What are my other options? I don't think there'd be any point in me retaking my second year of college since I believe I truly tried my best this year and I don't want to waste another year. If I could go back to when i first started college I would totally do a diploma course (I cope with coursework a lot better) or look into doing an apprenticeship. However when I was applying I was discouraged by various people about these options. I don't really want to stay in college education for more than another year now and I'm really unsure on how to cope and what to do. The only thing I've kind of got an interest in is learning another language (Korean, I would be self taught as there is not a course run anywhere near me) and I'd love to teach english in Korea. Please help, I'm so scared and unsure of how to proceed with my life and education.

How old are you? Potentially, you could take a BTEC in graphics/art/etc. for free at college unless you are 19. There should be a team at your college dedicated to helping you find your way in terms of qualifications and even careers - it will be worth giving them a ring and seeing if you could have a meeting with them.

If you have a guaranteed place on a foundation course, it means they see potential in you and believe that you can do it. Don't feel disheartened if this is what you really want to do, just go for it. :lovedup:

Quick Reply

Latest