The Student Room Group

Are MSc's generally easy to get into if you have a First?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking into future MSc courses (specifically in neuroscience at UCL) and I see that the entry requirements are generally asking for a 2:1/first. Providing that you have a good personal statement (i.e. motivations to study the course and future aspirations), solid undergrad classification - are you pretty much guaranteed a place? I ask because undergrad seemed a little more competitive, especially for better universities.

Is there anything I should know? Any advice/experiences?
Original post by Multifaceted
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into future MSc courses (specifically in neuroscience at UCL) and I see that the entry requirements are generally asking for a 2:1/first. Providing that you have a good personal statement (i.e. motivations to study the course and future aspirations), solid undergrad classification - are you pretty much guaranteed a place? I ask because undergrad seemed a little more competitive, especially for better universities.

Is there anything I should know? Any advice/experiences?

Depends upon the MSc course and university you are applying to, but usually they like to see work done outside of your degree related to your subject or research interests (i.e. internships, work placements, lab placements, etc).

You will generally work with a supervisor, which you must either contact before you apply (to discuss project ideas) or there may be a list of projects for you to select from.

You will also be interviewed most of the time for PG study too, so make sure you appear "normal" and aren't weird.

Moral of the story is never assume you are guaranteed a place simply because you have a first from a RG uni and a decent PS/reference (because I can tell you right now there will be stronger candidates than you with their names in published papers and extensive research experience) - they are concerned with you and your research interests/ideas and your aptitude for the course, obviously.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cubone-r
Depends upon the MSc course and university you are applying to, but usually they like to see work done outside of your degree related to your subject or research interests (i.e. internships, work placements, lab placements, etc).

You will generally work with a supervisor, which you must either contact before you apply (to discuss project ideas) or there may be a list of projects for you to select from.

You will also be interviewed most of the time for PG study too, so make sure you appear "normal" and aren't weird.

Moral of the story is never assume you are guaranteed a place simply because you have a first from a RG uni and a decent PS/reference (because I can tell you right now there will be stronger candidates than you with their names in published papers and extensive research experience) - they are concerned with you and your research interests/ideas and your aptitude for the course, obviously.

Thank you for your response! I'm not assuming in guaranteed a place - I was questioning it because I imagine there's so much more a candidate can offer. That's why I asked :smile: thank you!
Original post by Cubone-r

Erm. Take this with a pinch of salt OP - this advice seems to be talking about MRes courses specifically.

For a TAUGHT masters course there is usually no requirement to contact a supervisor beforehand - saying you must do this is really too prescriptive - and if you are expected to make contact with one, you will be notified during the applications process. I see the course you're looking at includes 5 taught modules, so is not entirely made up of a research project. You almost certainly won't be expected to have come up with a dissertation topic by the start of your course, although you will be encouraged to think about it from an early point.

Also, while it might be nice to have lab experience and publications, as I'm sure some applicants will, it is not expected that you will have that kind of background if you're applying at this level - it's just too early to have anything substantial, and a lot of people will be coming in straight from undergrad. A strong academic record at undergrad, ability to demonstrate real interest in research and solid references are way more important, although of course extracurriculars won't hurt.

Big caveat, of course it all depends on the institution, so the best thing you can do if you have any questions is to contact the admissions tutors.

In short, don't freak out about it. You're not 'guaranteed' a place, but it's not very hard to get offers on Masters courses even at top universities - much less competitive than at undergrad. If you have a good transcript, solid references and show enthusiasm, you'll be fine.
Original post by worldender
Erm. Take this with a pinch of salt OP - this advice seems to be talking about MRes courses specifically.

For a TAUGHT masters course there is usually no requirement to contact a supervisor beforehand - saying you must do this is really too prescriptive - and if you are expected to make contact with one, you will be notified during the applications process. I see the course you're looking at includes 5 taught modules, so is not entirely made up of a research project. You almost certainly won't be expected to have come up with a dissertation topic by the start of your course, although you will be encouraged to think about it from an early point.

Also, while it might be nice to have lab experience and publications, as I'm sure some applicants will, it is not expected that you will have that kind of background if you're applying at this level - it's just too early to have anything substantial, and a lot of people will be coming in straight from undergrad. A strong academic record at undergrad, ability to demonstrate real interest in research and solid references are way more important, although of course extracurriculars won't hurt.

Big caveat, of course it all depends on the institution, so the best thing you can do if you have any questions is to contact the admissions tutors.

In short, don't freak out about it. You're not 'guaranteed' a place, but it's not very hard to get offers on Masters courses even at top universities - much less competitive than at undergrad. If you have a good transcript, solid references and show enthusiasm, you'll be fine.

Savage, you got me there br0. I literally thought it said MRes, not MSc :laugh:.

soz OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending