The Student Room Group

Nuclear Engineering - any good?

Just want to hear some feedback from anyone who has done it.

Is there much in the way of maths? (*shudder*) Is there much physics, like nuclear physics? As in you know like the legit "splitting the atom" stuff, or is it quite simple?

Does this help for anything other than working in a nuclear power plant?

ty for any answers
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DrSebWilkes

Is there much in the way of maths? (*shudder*) Is there much physics, like nuclear physics? As in you know like the legit "splitting the atom" stuff, or is it quite simple?

ty for any answers

I had a quick scan through the specification https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Higher-Nationals/Nuclear%20Engineering/2017/specification-and-sample-assessments/9781446940457-hncd-l45-Nuclreng-rqf.pdf

And came across Pg 76 which seems to contain quite a bit of maths.
Reply 2

ty for any answers

I can't answer specifically except to say most people would do a more general engineering undergrad and then a nuclear MSc.

And yes there would be quite a bit of maths and in the same way that Chemical Engineering doesn't have much actual chemistry, Nuclear Engineering doesn't have much theoretical physics. You'd be an engineer not a research scientist.

I imagine CERN has some nuclear engineers. (Guessing...)

Check this out:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/nuclear-engineer
Reply 3

ty for any answers

Very interesting... I assure you it's not simple. You probably know about fusion, you should look into the attempts to make a fusion reactor, very interesting stuff. If possible the world could be run on them so it's very exciting.
Reply 4

I had absolutely no idea you could do a BTEC in it... my gob is smacked.
Original post by Doonesbury
I had absolutely no idea you could do a BTEC in it... my gob is smacked.

Neither did I

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending