The Student Room Group

Economics

Kind regards,
(edited 5 years ago)
How have you arrived at the conclusion that you don't have enough maths and stats to apply for an economics masters degree? I've just had a look at the LSE pages which suggest you can do a longer course to make up for the lack of an economics background so maybe email the other unis or have a look at their websites to see what they suggest.
Thanks for your reply, I will look at the available options and see what happens.
Original post by alleycat393
How have you arrived at the conclusion that you don't have enough maths and stats to apply for an economics masters degree? I've just had a look at the LSE pages which suggest you can do a longer course to make up for the lack of an economics background so maybe email the other unis or have a look at their websites to see what they suggest.
Currently I am a second year (final year when I return in October) economics student at the University of Essex, in regards to the department I cannot speak more highly of the professionalism and quality of the teaching.

I have studied most of the modules that the MA students are required to take so I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

In my opinion, entry to one of the universities you have mentioned such as Oxbridge or Lse would require exceptional grades at a university like Essex (in the top 5th percentile of your cohort)
Original post by alleycat393

Two year course at Lse and living in London...time to remortgage the house...:smile: could cost £75k
For your plan to be realistic in terms of top universities...were your second year results exceptional? I.e 80% or more? If not I would consider your chances to be slim, but not impossible...
T......
Original post by Marty728678
For your plan to be realistic in terms of top universities...were your second year results exceptional? I.e 80% or more? If not I would consider your chances to be slim, but not impossible...
(edited 5 years ago)
From your reply the elite universities might not be your best option...I guess it depends on what percentage you got in the second year and in which modules...to whether you should apply when you return for the third year at your current university or wait until you have graduated...

The difference between MA and MSc in my opinion is the level of the modules...for example at Essex many of the modules are drawn from the second year BSc Economics course, while the MSc Economics modules are postgraduate level. To answer your question in terms of making you a good economist...in my opinion it is all about doing as many problem sets as you can...reading around the subject(exploring new concepts not included in your course) and just having a passion for the subject...

Here's what I'm doing...got strong first in year one and two...going to apply to MSc Data Analytics/Data Science at (Leeds or Sheffield) after that hoping to enter employment and go to Birkbeck in the evenings to do their mathematics postgraduate conversion certificate and then an MSc in Applied Statistics...
Th.....
From your reply the elite universities might not be your best option...I guess it depends on what percentage you got in the second year and in which modules...to whether you should apply when you return for the third year at your current university or wait until you have graduated...

The difference between MA and MSc in my opinion is the level of the modules...for example at Essex many of the modules are drawn from the second year BSc Economics course, while the MSc Economics modules are postgraduate level. To answer your question in terms of making you a good economist...in my opinion it is all about doing as many problem sets as you can...reading around the subject(exploring new concepts not included in your course) and just having a passion for the subject...

Here's what I'm doing...got strong first in year one and two...going to apply to MSc Data Analytics/Data Science at (Leeds or Sheffield) after that hoping to enter employment and go to Birkbeck in the evenings to do their mathematics postgraduate conversion certificate and then an MSc in Applied Statistics...
(edited 5 years ago)
To me it seems strange that you are even talking about UCL, LSE or Oxbridge if you didn't do well in the second year of your degree, at which let's be honest is a low ranked university...did you not work hard in the second year? Did you find the work too hard or is there some other reason? I think you need to concentrate on why you didn't do well this year rather than thinking about elite universities etc...the only university I can answer questions on is Essex as I have experience there...good luck whatever you decide to do...
I will concentrate on my third year and about Essex if I graduate with a 1:1 should I apply to Msc of MA in Economics? In which on eI have more chance?
To me it seems strange that you are even talking about UCL, LSE or Oxbridge if you didn't do well in the second year of your degree, at which let's be honest is a low ranked university...did you not work hard in the second year? Did you find the work too hard or is there some other reason? I think you need to concentrate on why you didn't do well this year rather than thinking about elite universities etc...the only university I can answer questions on is Essex as I have experience there...good luck whatever you decide to do...
From the best of my knowledge the MA would be your best route...you wouldn't be able to get on the MSc with your current degree at Essex.

Give the Economics department a call, they could give you the best advice.

Department of Economics
University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex, CO4 3SQ
Telephone 01206 872728

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending