The Student Room Group

Can I do A Level Maths with a 6 (B)?

Hello, so I'm legit ******** my pants for my Maths exam. In my school I am expected a 7/8 for Maths as I am in set 2 out of 9, however, I feel like I did so bad in my Maths exam (Edexcel 9-1), and I don't think I can get a 7 to get into A Levels, even though I love Maths, and it's one of my strongest subjects and I would love to peruse a carrier around engineering etc. Hence, I need a Maths A - Level. However, my sixth form says you need a 7, not a 6 to get into Maths for A - Levels. I don't think I will get a 7 as I didn't think I did well. However, in my Mocks for Maths I got a grade 6 easily. Therefore, I think I will get a 6. However, I wish that I get a 7.

Any how, is it possible if my future sixth form, can accept a 6 to do Maths A - Levels, even though they grade needed is 7? Furthermore, can I do a deal with the teachers etc, that I will retake Maths GCSEs to get a 7 and at the same time do Maths A - Levels, but if I don't get a 7, then I cannot take the final exam (for A Levels)?

Thanks, Kind Regards,
Omar.
If the school agrees then yes. If not, no.

In a more general sense then you can do A-level maths and beyond that without necessarily getting an A* (or an A) at GCSE - regardless what this hellsite thinks :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
If the school agrees then yes. If not, no.

In a more general sense then you can do A-level maths and beyond that without necessarily getting an A* (or an A) at GCSE - regardless what this hellsite thinks :tongue:

However, can they agree as in is it in their power? Also, do you think the teachers will feel sympathetic?
Reply 3
Original post by Omxr
Hello, so I'm legit ******** my pants for my Maths exam. In my school I am expected a 7/8 for Maths as I am in set 2 out of 9, however, I feel like I did so bad in my Maths exam (Edexcel 9-1), and I don't think I can get a 7 to get into A Levels, even though I love Maths, and it's one of my strongest subjects and I would love to peruse a carrier around engineering etc. Hence, I need a Maths A - Level. However, my sixth form says you need a 7, not a 6 to get into Maths for A - Levels. I don't think I will get a 7 as I didn't think I did well. However, in my Mocks for Maths I got a grade 6 easily. Therefore, I think I will get a 6. However, I wish that I get a 7.

Any how, is it possible if my future sixth form, can accept a 6 to do Maths A - Levels, even though they grade needed is 7? Furthermore, can I do a deal with the teachers etc, that I will retake Maths GCSEs to get a 7 and at the same time do Maths A - Levels, but if I don't get a 7, then I cannot take the final exam (for A Levels)?

Thanks, Kind Regards,
Omar.

If your schools requirement is a 6 at GCSE Maths for A-Level then you can.
I got a B and couldn't cut the mustard but u could
Wait until results day and you may be pleasantly surprised! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Omxr

Thanks, Kind Regards,
Omar.

A 7 is quite a high requirement for maths A level ! In my sixth form they only want a 7 to do A level further maths so i imagine its just your colleges preference. This means that if your college is confident you could handle maths A level they might let you take it , at their own discretion, especially if you explain you need it for your dream career . If they do let you onto the course i dont imagine they would require you to retake the GCSE but every school is different , if they have social media then maybe message them on there and explain your situation?
The college I want to go to has the same requirements but said 'Grade 6 students will be considered alongside performance in other subjects', so hopefully if u end up getting high grades in your other subjects but get a 6 in maths you'll be OK.
I'm in the same situation- I'm just gonna have to try my best to persuade them :unsure:
Reply 9
yes u can

i got in with a B but just had to do compulsory 1 hour of extra maths per year from the college :colonhash:
Original post by Bla1287
A 7 is quite a high requirement for maths A level ! In my sixth form they only want a 7 to do A level further maths so i imagine its just your colleges preference. This means that if your college is confident you could handle maths A level they might let you take it , at their own discretion, especially if you explain you need it for your dream career . If they do let you onto the course i dont imagine they would require you to retake the GCSE but every school is different , if they have social media then maybe message them on there and explain your situation?

what sixth form did you go

Quick Reply

Latest