The Student Room Group

Should i continue to study economics in uni

Hey guys so AS results day didn't go as planned.

Maths B - 5 UMS from an A
Economics - A
Spanish - A this was a complete shocker
Biology - B

I am thinking of applying to Warwick Nottingham Bristol Exeter but they all want an A in A2 maths. I know I am capable as all throughout the year I have got high eighties in maths. so this B is not a normal thing. But universities will not know that. especially as the unis i am applying to are highly mathematical and thus they have a few of the futher maths applicants. Should I look at other unis. I am also going to drop Spanish and continue with Biology despite the A and B respectively. Will dropping a language and continuing with the lower grade disadvantage me in any way
thank you xx
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
Hey guys so AS results day didn't go as planned.

Maths B - 5 UMS from an A
Economics - A
Spanish - A this was a complete shocker
Biology - B

I am thinking of applying to Warwick Nottingham Bristol Exeter but they all want an A in A2 maths. I know I am capable as all throughout the year I have got high eighties in maths. so this B is not a normal thing. But universities will not know that. especially as the unis i am applying to are highly mathematical and thus they have a few of the futher maths applicants. Should I look at other unis. I am also going to drop Spanish and continue with Biology despite the A and B respectively. Will dropping a language and continuing with the lower grade disadvantage me in any way
thank you xx

The Unis you listed have A*AA entry requirements unless you have strong contextual factors in your background. You could get a view from your teachers on your predicted grades. It looks like A*AA may be your optimistic outcome, so I would suggest that you also look at some unis with less demanding entry requirements in your list of possibles. Birmingham and Leeds are AAA, There are also AAB options such as Sheffield and York, and ABB options such as Leicester. You can apply to 5 places so I would suggest including a range of unis, rather than restricting yourself to the group with the same high entry requirements. Also, as the year progresses you will know more about how you are performing at A2, which will also help you choose your final Firm and Insurance. A few Open Day visit will also help you decide, and these start from now.
Original post by Mancmike300
The Unis you listed have A*AA entry requirements unless you have strong contextual factors in your background. You could get a view from your teachers on your predicted grades. It looks like A*AA may be your optimistic outcome, so I would suggest that you also look at some unis with less demanding entry requirements in your list of possibles. Birmingham and Leeds are AAA, There are also AAB options such as Sheffield and York, and ABB options such as Leicester. You can apply to 5 places so I would suggest including a range of unis, rather than restricting yourself to the group with the same high entry requirements. Also, as the year progresses you will know more about how you are performing at A2, which will also help you choose your final Firm and Insurance. A few Open Day visit will also help you decide, and these start from now.

i also have a safety dont worry in Southampton at AAB just in case I mess up you know. my main issue is I am an A* student in maths and my teachers have even told me this i just am not a test person so hence they cant predict me the A*. I got maths remarked and i am 0.5 UMS below an A so fml. Do you think it is worth not applying to Exeter at A*AA and switching to St Andrews at AAA. Or is S Andrews more competitivetive than Exeter. Sorry for being rude earlier I took your message in the wrong way :colondollar:
i also have a safety dont worry in Southampton at AAB just in case I mess up you know. my main issue is I am an A* student in maths and my teachers have even told me this i just am not a test person so hence they cant predict me the A*. I got maths remarked and i am 0.5 UMS below an A so fml. Do you think it is worth not applying to Exeter at A*AA and switching to St Andrews at AAA. Or is S Andrews more competitivetive than Exeter. Sorry for being rude earlier I took your message in the wrong way :colondollar:

Exeter offer a range of grades there so it's worth applying, if you want to that is. St Andrews from what I've seen - they can reject you even with the best grades, but again, it's up to you if you want to apply. And a B (basically an A) in math is not bad at all. :wink:

No worries. St Andrews is the more competitive entry uni, despite the entry requirements being lower (51% of applicants getting offers, vs 79% for Exeter). I think St Andrews is also a 4 year BSc course though. They also have a 4 year MA. I would check out the course details on their website. If you are still interested,book the open days. Exeter has a good reputation for economics too and a 3 year degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending