The Student Room Group

TMUA Preparation Thread 2017

Scroll to see replies

Got a 9 in all the sections :smile:
Original post by marsbar384
Ah I flopped.. 5 in p1 and 5.9 in p2 - 5.6 overall

That's a shame :frown:. Are you still going to release your results to the unis?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zeldor711
That's a shame :frown:. Are you still going to release your results to the unis?

I don’t think so, I already have one from Warwick so no harm sending it - they can’t rescind an offer surely. Haven’t heard back from Durham so I need to decide whether to send it to them.
I still can’t access the metritest site..
Will a higher score on the TMUA make Durham more likely to make an offer, or will it only reduce an offer if I get one?
I've applied to Durham and warwick and I didn't do very well in TMUA (5.1 overall) so I'm not sure whether to send my results to them to show them I had a go or not in case it makes them less likely to give me an offer. What should I do?
I got 8.4 in P1 and 7.4 in P2 so a 8.4 overall! Very pleased! :smile:
Original post by gracegirl
I've applied to Durham and warwick and I didn't do very well in TMUA (5.1 overall) so I'm not sure whether to send my results to them to show them I had a go or not in case it makes them less likely to give me an offer. What should I do?

Durham say if you got >= 5.5 then send them off. Since you got 5.1 you’re pretty close so I’d send them off if I were you. As for Warwick, If you’ve got an offer then send it off as they can’t rescind the offer. If not, maybe don’t send it to them. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Durham say if you got >= 5.5 then send them off. Since you got 5.1 you’re pretty close so I’d send them off if I were you. As for Warwick, If you’ve got an offer then send it off as they can’t rescind the offer. If not, maybe don’t send it to them. Hope this helps :smile:

Great thank you that's really helpful do you think 5.1 is close enough for them to consider me? I haven't got an offer from Warwick yet so maybe I won't send it to them.
Original post by gracegirl
Great thank you that's really helpful do you think 5.1 is close enough for them to consider me? I haven't got an offer from Warwick yet so maybe I won't send it to them.

I wouldn’t say it’s detrimental. I mean, you’re no worse off than a candidate who didn’t sit the test. As long as your other grades are sound, I’m sure you’ll be fine
I wouldn’t say it’s detrimental. I mean, you’re no worse off than a candidate who didn’t sit the test. As long as your other grades are sound, I’m sure you’ll be fine

I'm predicted A*A*A*A in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics do you think that will be okay?
I got an email from Durham today saying:

"...If you have taken the Test of Mathematics for University Admission (TMUA), you should have been informed of your score directly by CAAT together with instructions on how to release your marks to Durham.

A mark of 6.5 OR ABOVE will guarantee you a reduced (A*AA) offer (or equivalent).
A mark of 5.5 OR ABOVE will be treated as positive evidence and increase your chances of getting our standard (A*A*A) offer (or equivalent)..."

Does this mean (a) if I get an offer, it will be reduced; or (b) I will get an offer, which is reduced? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Integer123
I got an email from Durham today saying:

"...If you have taken the Test of Mathematics for University Admission (TMUA), you should have been informed of your score directly by CAAT together with instructions on how to release your marks to Durham.

A mark of 6.5 OR ABOVE will guarantee you a reduced (A*AA) offer (or equivalent).
A mark of 5.5 OR ABOVE will be treated as positive evidence and increase your chances of getting our standard (A*A*A) offer (or equivalent)..."

Does this mean (a) if I get an offer, it will be reduced; or (b) I will get an offer, which is reduced? Thanks :smile:

Pretty sure this means you got the reduced offer in the bag
Explanation of results is up. Pretty insane number of 9s (more than 10% of people who took TMUA got a 9 overall).
Are Durham still likely to make an offer without TMUA?😬
Original post by F3rnw3h
Are Durham still likely to make an offer without TMUA?😬

Fairly likely, provided you have the correct predicted grades.
Has anyone received an offer for Durham for maths? If not, when you do, do let us know in this thread. Cheers 😁
Reply 177
Original post by Bob Stanley
What have you guys been getting on the specimen paper ?

I got 24/40 but right now I have no idea how good/bad that is. I need a 6.0 for Southampton but currently I'm just lost.
Original post by AveeSB
I got 24/40 but right now I have no idea how good/bad that is. I need a 6.0 for Southampton but currently I'm just lost.

Did you get 24/40 on the practice papers or on the 2017 papers?
Original post by Cryptokyo
Did you get 24/40 on the practice papers or on the 2017 papers?

24/40 on the 2017 papers would have got you 6.5.

24/40 on the 2016 papers (now renamed the practice papers) would have got you 7.7 - BUT in 2016 people only had 1 hour to sit each paper, which has since been acknowledged as not enough time, so that score isn't to be relied upon.

Yours,

James

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending