The Student Room Group

how examiners capped mathematically 40%

Hello everyone

I am a student at the University of Bedfordshire and I retook an exam.I completed two questions out of five with full references plus a presentation. I passed in presentation but I failed in 38% in this assignment. I believe my writing style was appropriate and unfairly marked, and here raises the question of how they capped mathematically 40% in a well-written assignment.

thank you
Reply 1
How many questions were you supposed to answer?
Look at the rubric for the exam and the markscale/grade descriptors to find out how marks are awarded.
I can see why you failed. Your English is terrible and your writing makes little sense.
I thought retakes getting capped were normal. My uni for example caps retake scores at 50%.

If you got 38%, that means you didn't hit the 40% cap anyway. Not that they reduced your marks or something. However if you disagree with your score then you'd have to contact the uni I'm guessing.
Unfortunately it's a common practice - I resat an exam this summer which was worth about 60-70% but was capped at 40%.
Did you pass the module/year overall? As long as you did and the assignment wasn't pass to progress you should be fine
Reply 5
has been required to complete two questions out of five.
Reply 6
Original post by yudothis
I can see why you failed. Your English is terrible and your writing makes little sense.

Thanks for your sympathetic comment.. you made my day
have a lovely day :wink:
Reply 7
The marker will have given an academic mark for the piece of work according to their academic judgement. The marker doesn't apply any capping -- if they think the work deserves (say) 63%, then that's what they give it.

The capping at 40% is purely an administrative process. The admin staff will probably be entering the academic mark (e.g. 63%) into the student records system but with a flag that says that it needs to be capped at 40%. (I don't know if that's how it works at your university, but it's a likely approach.)

There should be a route by which you can get feedback on why you got the mark you did. Contact your department and ask.
Original post by vicky11
Thanks for your sympathetic comment.. you made my day
have a lovely day :wink:

Just putting things into perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending