The Student Room Group

Lelanor aims for (A*)A*A*A + 1,1 in STEP

Lelanor aims for (A*)A*A*A + 1,1 in STEP

Hi! I'm Elanor and I'm in Year 13. In short, I already have an A* in Maths, I'm aiming for A*s in Further Maths and Computer Science, and I'm aiming for an A in Spanish.

Unis:

Spoiler

My A Level subjects:

Spoiler

My GCSEs (and other Year 10/11 qualifications)

Spoiler

Post index (or technically a contents, but index sounds better)

Spoiler

About me and my targets

Spoiler

I'm going on be aiming to post updates a couple of times a week. I tend to write long posts! I also have a "studyblr" on Tumblr and some of my posts on there might end up here so I'm not spending too much time writing posts.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good Luck :smile:, I would drop spanish and pick up additional fm, its really going to help in uni
Reply 2
Original post by Samendra
Good Luck :smile:, I would drop spanish and pick up additional fm, its really going to help in uni

I do kind of want to drop Spanish, I've been considering it for a couple of months as tbh my workload for Spanish was probably higher than for double maths last year but:
1. I've already put lots of work in and I want to get something out of it
2. My teacher thinks I should continue (she jokingly said she wouldn't sign the form to let me drop it). She's also my form tutor, and the Spanish class has decreased from 10 to 4 people. In short I feel pressure continue with it
3. I'm going on a Spanish trip with school in October and would feel pretty silly if I'd dropped Spanish

I really don't think these are good reasons to keep doing Spanish but even though I have plenty of reasons to drop (workload, not relevant, more difficult, I kind of hate it) I can't convince myself to.

I'm definitely considering AS Further Additional but I don't know if my school would support me doing it, I don't know of anyone doing it at my school in previous years. I'd probably do D2, S3 and S4 because Mechanics isn't really my thing (87 in M1 compared to 95+ in other units). I'm going to look into how much it would cost (textbooks and exams) and see what my teachers think.

I might end up continuing with Spanish and doing AS Further Additional?
Reply 3
Did you take your GCSE Maths in Year 10, then AS in Year 11? If so, how did you manage the workload with all your other GCSEs?
Reply 4
Original post by Zeuv
Did you take your GCSE Maths in Year 10, then AS in Year 11? If so, how did you manage the workload with all your other GCSEs?

No, I did AS and A2 in Year 12, so I don't know what it's like doing AS Maths alongside GCSEs, especially when you're doing the new GCSEs.

I did do Additional Maths and AS General Studies in Year 11, and I just prioritised them in the same way I prioritised my GCSE subjects, not revising much for the ones I was sure I could do (GCSE Maths), the ones I hated so much I didn't care about (GCSE Health and Social Care and English Lit), or the ones that just didn't matter to me (AS General Studies). I'm probably not the best model to follow as I definitely could have revised for those if I hadn't wasted so much of my time!
is this the creme de la creme of TSR?? :K: feels like it. Such an interesting thread so far, can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck! (though i'm sure you don't need it :ahee:
Original post by Lelanor
I do kind of want to drop Spanish, I've been considering it for a couple of months as tbh my workload for Spanish was probably higher than for double maths last year but:
1. I've already put lots of work in and I want to get something out of it
2. My teacher thinks I should continue (she jokingly said she wouldn't sign the form to let me drop it). She's also my form tutor, and the Spanish class has decreased from 10 to 4 people. In short I feel pressure continue with it
3. I'm going on a Spanish trip with school in October and would feel pretty silly if I'd dropped Spanish

I really don't think these are good reasons to keep doing Spanish but even though I have plenty of reasons to drop (workload, not relevant, more difficult, I kind of hate it) I can't convince myself to.

I'm definitely considering AS Further Additional but I don't know if my school would support me doing it, I don't know of anyone doing it at my school in previous years. I'd probably do D2, S3 and S4 because Mechanics isn't really my thing (87 in M1 compared to 95+ in other units). I'm going to look into how much it would cost (textbooks and exams) and see what my teachers think.

I might end up continuing with Spanish and doing AS Further Additional?

You can self teach fp3 take further pure units as they are the bulk of uni maths, and since im assuming you are doing comp sci do d2?, and yea do stats if you dont like mech. Honestly you can self teach most units, though I wouldn't try to self teach m3 its stupidly hard, atleast for me, so I switched to s3 :P
why not aim for the moon lelanor? 4 A*'s
Reply 8
Original post by sok.cho
is this the creme de la creme of TSR?? :K: feels like it. Such an interesting thread so far, can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck! (though i'm sure you don't need it :ahee:

No, definitely not! I'm pretty sure I won't achieve all of these grades - they're just maximum targets I've set for myself. It's very unlikely that I'll manage all of this, I just want to aim high. I think if I do work hard consistently through Year 13 then the targets (other than STEP) would be fairly realistic but I've never managed to work anywhere near as hard as I think I should. I hope I can change this but I'm not relying on it.

But thanks for wishing me luck, I definitely need it! I'll be happy with getting lower than these targets - getting As rather than A*s and not doing STEP will still mean I meet standard entry requirements for most of the university courses I want apply for and that's the more important target for me.
Original post by lelanor
hi! I'm elanor and i'm about to start year 13. I'm making this post using my phone so i'll keep it short for now and add things later, because autocorrect works really weirdly on tsr on my phone?

For gcse results, see the about section on my profile (i'll add them here at me point)

okay i realised just after posting that i'd prefer the title to read (a*)a*a*a but idk if you can change titles, oh well

----------------------

my subjects
maths
grade achieved in year 12: A* in the full a level
ums average 94.67%

further maths
grade in year 12: N/a
predicted grade: Pending
my target: A*
units: Fp1, fp2, fp3, d1, m2, s2 (i'm also self-studying d2 which might end up as part of the a level if i do better in it)

computer science
grade in year 12: A in internal exam, sitting 2016 as paper.
Predicted grade: Pending
my target: A*

spanish
grade in year 12: B in internal exam, sitting a mix of as and a level papers. I got an a in the written papers but a c in the speaking
predicted grade: Pending
my target: A (it don't think a* is ever going to happen)

i'm also planning on doing step ii and iii. I'm hoping to get an offer from a uni that requires step and i think the offer is usually 1,1. Even if i don't get an offer (or i get an that miraculously doesn't require step) i think i'll still do the papers.

-------------------

i'm going on be aiming to post updates a couple of times a week. I tend to write long posts! I also have a "studyblr" on tumblr and some of my posts here might be the same.

wooooooh staying up until 2am good grades m+cs squaaaad
Good luck! :h:

(also changed the title for you :tongue:)
Reply 11
You can self teach fp3 take further pure units as they are the bulk of uni maths, and since im assuming you are doing comp sci do d2?, and yea do stats if you dont like mech. Honestly you can self teach most units, though I wouldn't try to self teach m3 its stupidly hard, atleast for me, so I switched to s3 :P

Thanks for the advice, I've heard that M3 and beyond are particularly tough and I already find mechanics kind of annoying tbh, so I won't be self-teaching any mechanics - it's not that I didn't understand M1, it was just that I made. I've already started D2 so definitely doing it, even if I don't decide to do the whole AS. I'm doing all the FP units for Further Maths so don't need to self-teach any, although I might try to get ahead so I can spend more time later on S3 + S4 (if I do decide to do them, I'm really on-the-fence)
Reply 12
Original post by Lelanor
Hi! I'm Elanor and I'm about to start Year 13.

Good luck :smile:

Make sure you check out the amazing STEP Prep Thread if you haven't already. There are resident experts who will help you when you get stuck.
Reply 13
Original post by 111davey1
why not aim for the moon lelanor? 4 A*'s

naaaahhhhh
Original post by Lelanor
Thanks for the advice, I've heard that M3 and beyond are particularly tough and I already find mechanics kind of annoying tbh, so I won't be self-teaching any mechanics - it's not that I didn't understand M1, it was just that I made. I've already started D2 so definitely doing it, even if I don't decide to do the whole AS. I'm doing all the FP units for Further Maths so don't need to self-teach any, although I might try to get ahead so I can spend more time later on S3 + S4 (if I do decide to do them, I'm really on-the-fence)

S3 isnt hard at all, havent done s4 but i dont imagine it will be too tough, can cover both in 3 months max and no prob! Just remember that add fm is a joke compared to STEP
Reply 15
Original post by plklupu
wooooooh staying up until 2am good grades m+cs squaaaad

Squaaaaadd!! It's been more like staying up until 5 am for me recently, and in a week I need to get up at 6 am :bawling:

I need to get back into a school sleeping pattern. I guarantee I'll ruin it within a week of going back to school but I'll at least try!
Reply 16
Original post by surina16
Good luck! :h:

(also changed the title for you :tongue:)

Thanks and thanks!!
Original post by Lelanor
Squaaaaadd!! It's been more like staying up until 5 am for me recently, and in a week I need to get up at 6 am :bawling:

I need to get back into a school sleeping pattern. I guarantee I'll ruin it within a week of going back to school but I'll at least try!

Oh, I know how you feel. Here's to perpetual tiredness! :beer:
Reply 18
Original post by Notnek
Good luck :smile:

Make sure you check out the amazing STEP Prep Thread if you haven't already. There are resident experts who will help you when you get stuck.

Thanks! I've been watching the STEP thread for a few weeks, although I can't remember if I've posted in it yet?
Reply 19
S3 isnt hard at all, havent done s4 but i dont imagine it will be too tough, can cover both in 3 months max and no prob! Just remember that add fm is a joke compared to STEP

Nice! I didn't really like stats at first (S1 is kinda tedious tbh, lots of adding numbers in tables) but I've heard that lots of people prefer the other stats units. I did tell my teacher that I can't stand stats though, so I'm sure he'll be surprised if I decide to do them :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending