The Student Room Group

Should I take Biology, Physics or both?

So I am doing Chemistry and Maths, as those are two subjects which I greatly enjoy, however, I need to make a decision that will affect my future. I need to decide between doing Biology or Physics (or both). I greatly enjoy both sciences, though my problem is, I'm not sure on what I want to do in the future as I have had NO experience of doing any of these subjects at a higher level. My GCSE results would allow me to do both, yet this is much more work and would require me to study at to different sixth forms (different school sites that have come together to offer more A-Levels).
I guess the question is how much maths do you actually enjoy? Physics A level by all accounts is very maths heavy. I did A level Biology and really liked it, not too bad of a workload considering how much more in depth it is than GCSE.

I know a lad who did all 4 but that just lead him to get a C in AS maths and drop it. There's not much benefit to doing both, just 3 of those would cover a huge amount of science related degrees as is, and unis only look for 3 anyway. Spreading yourself over 4 subjects could just drag them all down a bit because of the workload for no real gain.
Reply 2
Do you have any aspirations in those subjects such as medicine, engineering etc..? Physics and Biology are very different, I've heard biology has ALOT of content to memorise and physics has less things to memorise and is much more maths is involved. Understanding the concepts in physics is key as exam questions will ask you to apply a mixture of different topics for one question. I can only speak for physics as I did it at A level. You will learn more about classical mechanics (everything to do with forces, gravity, momentum, moments etc..) electricity, particle physics, waves, thermal physics, fields and magnetism. Take a look at the exam board you would be doing and check on their websites the specification to see what you'd be studying.

Quick Reply

Latest