The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LifeWired
I am simply attempting to bring some balance before we all go and bash Russia.

Russia has enough nukes to sink Great Britain (and irradiate/drown the Irish/French/etc in the process.)...

Britain might be able to stick a few potholes in the massive Russian landmass before glugging it's way down...
Reply 81
shiny
Sorry LifeWired :redface:

I'm just a bit pissed off because I can see the Kremlin propaganda machine moving in and making this incident look better than it is :frown:

They'll need it after this Yukos business...!

It's okay, I'm in a constant battle trying to make sure I have a balanced idea of what's going on (and more often than not, fail - even our media has this trouble although I am an avid follower of the BBC :rolleyes: ).
Yeah just read about that! Good. I did fear the worst. Governments never give in to terrorists, special force action was inevitable. I'm glad they did the job competently... it could have been much worse!
Reply 83
polthegael
Russia has enough nukes to sink Great Britain (and irradiate/drown the Irish/French/etc in the process.)...

Britain might be able to stick a few potholes in the massive Russian landmass before glugging it's way down...

They'll need to get them off the launch pad first :biggrin:!

We also have a fairly significant nuclear stockpile, alongside all of the NPT (and non NPT!) countries. The US is without a doubt the most advanced nuclear country on this planet. Their development of low yield tactical nuclear warheads is particularly worrying to the international community. It's hard to believe Russia are a serious post Cold War threat.
Reply 84
LifeWired
It's okay, I'm in a constant battle trying to make sure I have a balanced idea of what's going on (and more often than not, fail - even our media has this trouble although I am an avid follower of the BBC :rolleyes: ).

I was very impressed with Sky News Today. Their live feeds to their on the ground correspondents were excellent. Scary (cos I was worried they were going to get shot or something) but excellent.
Reply 85
shiny
I was very impressed with Sky News Today. Their live feeds to their on the ground correspondents were excellent. Scary (cos I was worried they were going to get shot or something) but excellent.

It was good, we live in such an 'on demand' world. Even from such a remote region! More than ever, people develop opinions on world events quickly, in many ways it's good and keeps us informed - or we wouldn't be having this friendly debate right now :smile:!
Reply 86
LifeWired
It was good, we live in such an 'on demand' world. Even from such a remote region! More than ever, people develop opinions on world events quickly, in many ways it's good and keeps us informed - or we wouldn't be having this friendly debate right now :smile:!

I love how the Sky News reports contradicted all the TASS bulletins! That really made me laugh. A fierce battle going on and officials were saying "we have control"! Must be a totally new definition of control they have in Russia :biggrin:
Reply 87
shiny
I love how the Sky News reports contradicted all the TASS bulletins! That really made me laugh. A fierce battle going on and officials were saying "we have control"! Must be a totally new definition of control they have in Russia :biggrin:

Yes, that did get me thinking too...!

Can never tell can we, they're probably trying to scour the entire region now :rolleyes:. But then, look at Iraq and the US, end of 'major combat operations'. Convenient! I love the modern world of war :cool:
Reply 88
shiny

Iraqi Information Minister ...
Reply 89
LifeWired
Yes, that did get me thinking too...! Can never tell can we, they're probably trying to scour the entire region now :rolleyes:. But then, look at Iraq and the US, end of 'major combat operations'. Convenient! I love the modern world of war :cool:

Yeah but when Bushie speaks you know it's probably a twist of the truth :wink: :biggrin:

Vote Shiny and Padfoot for President and Vice President! :cool:
Reply 90
Mighty
Iraqi Information Minister ...

So that's where he's got to ... :biggrin:
Reply 91
shiny
Yeah but when Bushie speaks you know it's probably a twist of the truth :wink: :biggrin:

Vote Shiny and Padfoot for President and Vice President! :cool:

Quite :biggrin:!
Reply 92
shiny

They made very basic military errors!

What did you learn the art of hostage rescue from playing solider of fortune? how the hell do you know they made basic errors? Its new to me if they teach you how to control a situation like that in school. I'd like to see you do better and don't forget it wasn't the russian soliders who had a bunch of children held hostage with guns and explosives!

I think you should all stop making assumptions about things you know nothing about.
One thing we do know about is that Russia is propping up a pro-Kremlin administration in an area which no longer wishes to be part of the federation.

If you go around occupying places and killing people it should come as no major surprise when someone turns around and says "ENOUGH!".

State violence will only lead to anti-state violence. I think we're taught that in primary school in Ireland..
Reply 94
polthegael
One thing we do know about is that Russia is propping up a pro-Kremlin administration in an area which no longer wishes to be part of the federation.

If you go around occupying places and killing people it should come as no major surprise when someone turns around and says "ENOUGH!".

State violence will only lead to anti-state violence. I think we're taught that in primary school in Ireland..

I really don't see how its like Northern ireland, just becouse you're irish doesn't mean you're an authority on Terroism, please will you all just shut up. Have some respect for the dead.
Vladek
I really don't see how its like Northern ireland, just becouse you're irish doesn't mean you're an authority on Terroism, please will you all just shut up. Have some respect for the dead.

That is totally the wrong attitude to have with me. Look at my posts. I have great sympathy for all victims of conflict. That doesn't excuse the Russians, Putin and his generals, from causing mayhem in Chechnya.

If they had respect for life they would bow out of the place and leave it to become another Asian Islamic Republic. Repression leads to reactionary violence. This is not unique to Ireland. It is a universal concept.
Reply 96
Why should governments bow to Terrorism? That simply encourages more terrorism.
Reply 97
polthegael
That is totally the wrong attitude to have with me. Look at my posts. I have great sympathy for all victims of conflict. That doesn't excuse the Russians, Putin and his generals, from causing mayhem in Chechnya.

If they had respect for life they would bow out of the place and leave it to become another Asian Islamic Republic. Repression leads to reactionary violence. This is not unique to Ireland. It is a universal concept.

what i shouldn't disagree with you, why you gonna blow me up?

Just shut up.
Vladek
What did you learn the art of hostage rescue from playing solider of fortune? how the hell do you know they made basic errors? Its new to me if they teach you how to control a situation like that in school. I'd like to see you do better and don't forget it wasn't the russian soliders who had a bunch of children held hostage with guns and explosives!

I think you should all stop making assumptions about things you know nothing about.

COnsidering the situation, I feel the Russkies did a tremendous job.

They were pushed into a corner with the lead up of 2 x aircraft bombs and a suicide bombing with the single intention to tell the world "we are serious, we will blow ourselves and the children up, don't think about testing us" and when the explosion happened, they took the inititive. No way was it perfect, but then again the scale of the storm didn't allow as such.

Normally I would be the one to say "slow down and think about it" but in this case, as above, the precedent had been set, they weren't bluffing and eventually force was the only choice.

Before we say "SAS iranian embassey" - this is a different story completely and even the SAS openly admit we had lady luck on our side that day.

The big and fair criticism IMO is that there should have been nets of troops, surrounding the whole area and the relatives removed a huge distance; somehow this wasn't the full and proper case and hence why some got away. The only people within a mile should have been in uniform. If anybody remembers the recent manhunt in Nottingham, I had the pleasure of driving through it, 2 miles of policeman lined along the side of the road every 15m or so with armed policeman over the other side of the road every 50 or so metres - if we could manage that with 600 policeman in total, the Russian army shouldn't have had a problem. I guess the reasons and explanations to this will become clear soon.

Sadly the figures aren't happy reading, perhaps 100 or more children dead, that's around 200 or so parents who don't have their children tonight, or ever again.
AntiMagicMan
Why should governments bow to Terrorism? That simply encourages more terrorism.

No... The people who took those children were wrong. They were acting in an evil way. This should not reflect on the Chechen people nor their cause.

If the Russians left Chechnya, these attacks would stop. Of course the people who did this should be punished (if it comes to it, I even accept that the Russian forces [in attempting to save lives], may have to kill them).

None of this means that Russia should stay in Chechnya. If they leave, they end attacks without bowing to terrorism, as you said.

Latest

Trending

Trending