The Student Room Group

Bad UKCAT Score - where should I apply

I reccently did the UKCAT and performed very poorly - my average was 660 :frown:. I received straight A's in my National 5 (no A* in Nat5's) and a B in a self taught GCSE. For my Advanced Highers I am taking bio, chem, maths & physics. I have done two weeks of WE and invovled in a number of research projects and have authored a number of papers in reputable journals.

I orignallly planned to apply to Oxford, St. Andrews, Aberdeen & Edinburgh but am not sure where to apply now based on my terrible UKCAT score.

Any sugesstions?
Reply 1
Hi i don't think that your UKCAT is terrible at all!! It is above average and is by no means bad at all, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. You could look at places like Cardiff, Birmingham and bristol etc that focus on the ukcat less and emphasise GCSE and personal statement more. Maybe avoid places like Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton. I'm not too sure how the Scottish unis use ukcat so have a look on their websites to see how they use it and if they have a cut off maybe? Oxford is a BMAT uni so you will have to take that to apply. Honestly dont worry your ukcat score is good!
Reply 2
Original post by Djoejoedjoed
I reccently did the UKCAT and performed very poorly - my average was 660 :frown:. I received straight A's in my National 5 (no A* in Nat5's) and a B in a self taught GCSE. For my Advanced Highers I am taking bio, chem, maths & physics. I have done two weeks of WE and invovled in a number of research projects and have authored a number of papers in reputable journals.

I orignallly planned to apply to Oxford, St. Andrews, Aberdeen & Edinburgh but am not sure where to apply now based on my terrible UKCAT score.

Any sugesstions?

That's not terrible. Obviously avoid UKCAT heavy universities like Newcastle.

Oxford doesn't even look at UKCAT - it uses BMAT.

Still options like SGUL, BMAT universities, Liverpool, perhaps Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending