The Student Room Group

My A levels aren't good enough?

I'm picking English literature, psychology and philosophy&ethics. I spoke to one of my teachers today about my A level choices and he told me that my A levels aren't good enough or even worth doing apart from English. :frown: I know I shouldn't take things to heart but this has really upset me as I'm not really interested in any other subjects. I'm not sure what I want to do at university but maybe he's right and I should pick STEM subjects or more facilitating subjects for university. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
If you know what you want to do the english is enough. If you dont know what you want to do then maybe its worth taking a STEM subject to keep your options open but other than that there isnt anything wrong with those
It's no business of his; if they are what you want to do, do them.:smile: I'm also doing psychology and my friends are doing Philosophy & Ethics and they're definitely worth it. P&E is actually useful for studying law and psychology is really interesting and you can have a very good career in it.
Reply 3
These are all facilitating subjects. Clearly, you are not STEM-focused, so should look at doing English (not just literature), or maybe replace one of Psychology and Philosophy and Ethics with History. These subjects are simply broader and will prepare you for a wider range of different subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by chloerebecca1
It's no business of his; if they are what you want to do, do them.:smile: I'm also doing psychology and my friends are doing Philosophy & Ethics and they're definitely worth it. P&E is actually useful for studying law and psychology is really interesting and you can have a very good career in it.

Thank you! And I agree; it's not really any of his business. What other A levels are you doing? :smile:
Original post by Kat712
Thank you! And I agree; it's not really any of his business. What other A levels are you doing? :smile:

I'm doing French & History, as I suck at subjects like science and maths, haha
Reply 6
Original post by VannR
These are all facilitating subjects. Clearly, you are not STEM-focused, so should look at doing English (not just literature), or maybe replace one of Psychology and Philosophy and Ethics with History. These subjects are simply broader and will prepare you for a wider range of different subjects.

English literature is the only facilitating subject I have taken, psychology and philosophy&ethics aren't facilitating subjects but I wish they were. I would pick history as a fourth subject but my school doesn't offer AS history so I wouldn't be able to it for only a year at my school.
Reply 7
I'm doing French & History, as I suck at subjects like science and maths, haha

I've always enjoyed history :smile: what are you planing to do at university? I also suck at maths
Reply 8
Original post by raafe
If you know what you want to do the english is enough. If you dont know what you want to do then maybe its worth taking a STEM subject to keep your options open but other than that there isnt anything wrong with those

Thank you!
Original post by Kat712
I've always enjoyed history :smile: what are you planing to do at university? I also suck at maths

Hmm. My main option is journalism as I want to be a journalist, but I'm also considering law and psychology! What about you? :smile:
I back up what other posters have already said and from experience with one of my friends who's parents forced her to do science subjects (to earn more money in the future of something) and it went really wrong. Do subjects you are passionate about and you will not regret them - your three are definitely not constrictive ☺️
Reply 11
Original post by Abby3112
I back up what other posters have already said and from experience with one of my friends who's parents forced her to do science subjects (to earn more money in the future of something) and it went really wrong. Do subjects you are passionate about and you will not regret them - your three are definitely not constrictive ☺️

Thank you so much 😄
Reply 12
Hmm. My main option is journalism as I want to be a journalist, but I'm also considering law and psychology! What about you? :smile:

I'm not sure but I'm also interested in psychology and law as well :smile:
Original post by Kat712
I'm picking English literature, psychology and philosophy&ethics. I spoke to one of my teachers today about my A level choices and he told me that my A levels aren't good enough or even worth doing apart from English. :frown: I know I shouldn't take things to heart but this has really upset me as I'm not really interested in any other subjects. I'm not sure what I want to do at university but maybe he's right and I should pick STEM subjects or more facilitating subjects for university. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your teacher seems like a prick. There is nothing wrong with the subjects you are doing as long as you enjoy them and get good grades for them then you have no worries. Don't let your teacher tell you those subjects aren't good enough, all A levels require a lot of work so just put in the work with the subjects you are doing right now.
Original post by Kat712

They're good subjects.

As long as you meet the subject requirements of your chosen degree/post-18 course then it's fine. Pay no attention to this teacher.
Noooo don't listen to that teacher!! I start Year 12 next week and I've been told endlessly that you should do the subjects you want to do. If you enjoy your A Levels definitely stick to them. I'm taking two of your A Levels, English Lit and Psychology. Because my third A Level is Biology I've been told endlessly I should swap Psychology to Chemistry to open more paths, but I know for a fact that I would hate Chemistry and that I will enjoy Psychology far more instead. So I've been flat out refusing my future Sixth Form, they can't force you to do something you really don't feel like or want to do. So long story short, stick to your A Levels if you like them! The STEM route isn't the only route you can take after all. :' )
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
Your teacher seems like a prick. There is nothing wrong with the subjects you are doing as long as you enjoy them and get good grades for them then you have no worries. Don't let your teacher tell you those subjects aren't good enough, all A levels require a lot of work so just put in the work with the subjects you are doing right now.

Thank you and yeah he's not the nicest teacher
Reply 17
Original post by Blue_Cow
They're good subjects.

As long as you meet the subject requirements of your chosen degree/post-18 course then it's fine. Pay no attention to this teacher.

Thank you
Reply 18
Original post by Kellyyy_
Noooo don't listen to that teacher!! I start Year 12 next week and I've been told endlessly that you should do the subjects you want to do. If you enjoy your A Levels definitely stick to them. I'm taking two of your A Levels, English Lit and Psychology. Because my third A Level is Biology I've been told endlessly I should swap Psychology to Chemistry to open more paths, but I know for a fact that I would hate Chemistry and that I will enjoy Psychology far more instead. So I've been flat out refusing my future Sixth Form, they can't force you to do something you really don't feel like or want to do. So long story short, stick to your A Levels if you like them! The STEM route isn't the only route you can take after all. :' )

Thank you! And yeah I don't plan on going down the STEM route. I definitely agree with your choice to pick psychology over chemistry, you should definitely do what you enjoy. Thanks for the advice :smile: I hope your a levels go well

Quick Reply

Latest